GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Modifications you Should Buy or Do

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Making a thread that is the opposite of below, because why not. Should be good for anyone new to MK7 platform and intent is to help people.

Most people have seen the thread Mods you're wasting money on: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-wasting-money-on.338972/page-48#post-7441259
This will be the opposite.

Hopefully if you are new and looking for what to start with, look at this thread, then review what not to buy above
Please add any info you want and I will try to update this first post.

Mods you Should Buy or Do:

1. Intercooler:
If you add a tune and are driving spiritedly during hot months your going to get heat soak. There is a ton of options. Any upgraded IC is better than nothing. Many people have tried IE, APR, ECS, Baun Performance, AMS, Ebay brands twintercooler or directfit.

2. Rear sway bar: Lots of options, any 24-26mm solid RSB should do the job. You many need endlinks too as they clunk with largers RSB, Moog endlinks ftw

3. New tires: Stock tires are not good, High End: Michelin PS4S, A/S 3's, Continental ExtremeContact Sport, Middle group: Firestone Indy 500's, Faulken FK510, General Gmax RS

4. Downpipe: Lots on the market, high end models AWE, APR, IE, Baun Performance, unitronic | middle group (ups, cts)

5. Tune: New car many people will add a jb4 or another piggyback tune as they don't want to lose warranty, other just go with off the shelf stage 1 or more tune. If you are manual and tune, start saving for an upgraded clutch as it will slip eventually (same with jb4)

6. Drop in Air filter/ remove snowguard: Drop in filter cost 55$ K&N or other choices vs 400+$ CAI, they will do about the same performance wise

7. If Manual https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-make-a-mk7-6mt-suck-less.349809/ : They all help a lot, my favorite was spring removal which took 1 min and the clutch stop which cost 10$

8. Dogbone mount: Pretty much the mod everyone does first, there are a lot of options on the market. Many people choose the 034 dogbone for 40$

9. OBDeleven or VCDS: OBDeleven (60$) VCDS (200$) both are able to go into the systems of the car by plugging into the cars obd2 port. I have OBDeleven and it is very useful to clear faults, check codes, update parameters and customize

Depending on how you do it, all of the above can be had for around or under 2000$ and completely changes the car.

I've done every one of these (plus more). Good list.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Clutch stop...

Ummmm

That's all I got

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
The only required mod is decent tires, if your car had the misfortune of factory-equipped Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS. They can be downright scary in the rain in normal driving.
Nothing like impromptu throttle off oversteer, when you haven't even ordered a RSB yet.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
The only required mod is decent tires, if your car had the misfortune of factory-equipped Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS. They can be downright scary in the rain in normal driving.
Nothing like impromptu throttle off oversteer, when you haven't even ordered a RSB yet.
Pretty sure the day I picked mine up I was spinning tires up hill in the rain, not fun

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Am I the only one who feels the OEM tires were at least adequate? I mean at least in terms of cornering I had them let go maybe 3-5 times in almost 30,000 miles. 25,000 of them being on JB4 map 6. They held up just fine on a backroad and you knew when they were about to let go. Sure the Firestone’s I have now are much better but it’s a dedicated summer tire. I didn’t feel the need for a better tire until stage 2 and even then I only had issues with spinning in first and second. I don’t know why everyone complains so much about the stock tires. They’re not that bad.

No they are not the best tires by any means, and I’m glad I have the Firestone’s now but it’s not like they’re unsafe or undriveable. Certainly not a “required” mod. If you ask me the JB4 changed the driving attributes of the car for the better more than tires ever did.

Or maybe I just drive it too much like an econobox and not enough like a hot hatch...

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Am I the only one who feels the OEM tires were at least adequate? I mean at least in terms of cornering I had them let go maybe 3-5 times in almost 30,000 miles. 25,000 of them being on JB4 map 6. They held up just fine on a backroad and you knew when they were about to let go. Sure the Firestone’s I have now are much better but it’s a dedicated summer tire. I didn’t feel the need for a better tire until stage 2 and even then I only had issues with spinning in first and second. I don’t know why everyone complains so much about the stock tires. They’re not that bad.

No they are not the best tires by any means, and I’m glad I have the Firestone’s now but it’s not like they’re unsafe or undriveable. Certainly not a “required” mod. If you ask me the JB4 changed the driving attributes of the car for the better more than tires ever did.

Or maybe I just drive it too much like an econobox and not enough like a hot hatch...
you gotta remember, most are DSG drivers, they don’t feather a gas pedal... MASH n go, I’m on ps4s and still can easily spin if i try.

But I will still say... those tires made an unreal amount of a better driving experience in my car for me

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I don't remember much about the OEM tires. They only lasted 15K but then I got a dyno tune in the first month I owned the car.