GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 torque vectoring Haldex retrofit

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
The Golf mk7, yes I've seen some videos where the subframe is dropped on a mk7 hatchback and they didn't drill the floor. That's also factory manuals instructions.
The factory repair manual suggests to drill the floor on a passat and no dropping of the rear subframe, only the rearward exhaust needs to be removed.

The diff came with control modules, breather pipes, all of it.

14f3f12d-30ac-4104-a573-6aa3b63fb14c.jpgc68de0bf-a01d-426c-b979-457b339a76ad.jpg

Jachas

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
A3 8V
I'm very curious about this swap, especially about coding/communication, because MK8 golf have CAN-fd (flexible data, which is faster than CAN used on MK7), Ethernet on some control units, and E-bkv (electronic brake servo), which MK7 golf doesn't (MK7 has normal, vacuum servo)

AFAIR, pre-lift passat b8/ arteon have vacuum servo too, but post-filt passat/arteon switched to e-bkv

Definitly will be watching this thread and good luck, because Haldex 6gen vs 5 gen it's like night and day difference

(I'm courius about drift mode retrofit too 🙃)

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Maybe jilleb/daChillout would help, and enable drift mode?
Is drift mode it's own driving profile? Or just a setting for the diff? Or both?

If it's just a setting for the dif you could set up one of the other driving modes to send that request to the diff module(s).

On the other hand, it's worth noting that editing the driving profile data set does not have anything to do with swap codes. So if drift mode is a profile to itself editing the data set won't get you that swap.

That would leave a couple possible solutions. One is to replace an existing mode with drift mode and all of its associated module settings. This would be just like what many people do if they retrofit DCC, where they replace eco mode with comfort mode since comfort mode is a swap.

Second, and more elegant solution, in my opinion, is to simply enable drift mode as a diff mode option in the individual driving profile.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Is drift mode it's own driving profile? Or just a setting for the diff? Or both?

If it's just a setting for the dif you could set up one of the other driving modes to send that request to the diff module(s).

On the other hand, it's worth noting that editing the driving profile data set does not have anything to do with swap codes. So if drift mode is a profile to itself editing the data set won't get you that swap.

That would leave a couple possible solutions. One is to replace an existing mode with drift mode and all of its associated module settings. This would be just like what many people do if they retrofit DCC, where they replace eco mode with comfort mode since comfort mode is a swap.

Second, and more elegant solution, in my opinion, is to simply enable drift mode as a diff mode option in the individual driving profile.
Drift mode is also using the abs system to initiate oversteer, the rear diff can only do so much with a <= 50% torque split

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
8Y RS3 p/n: 08E525010M

8Y S3 seems to get gen 5?? 0CQ525010AB

EDIT: need to confirm S3 p/n, supposed to have same diff as mk8 r

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Drift mode is also using the abs system to initiate oversteer, the rear diff can only do so much with a <= 50% torque split
Oh yeah I do recall reading about that. Has long coding been figured out for the ABS in the Mk8... assuming it's different from that in the 7/7.5 since folks were mentioning electronic brake servo.

This is a snip from ABS coding spreadsheet by Somnus, and would apply to the ABS in the MK7 R (and several other VAG cars of course).
Screenshot_20231015-203140.png

Maybe one retrofit (this one) will necessitate another, electronic brake servo, lol.

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
8Y RS3 p/n: 08E525010M

8Y S3 seems to get gen 5?? 0CQ525010AB

EDIT: need to confirm S3 p/n, supposed to have same diff as mk8 r
correct. only top sports model gets the 08E diff

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8

Drift mode is indeed its own driving profile on mk8 golf. The Arteon doesn't have it at all with a 08E diff.

That would be brilliant yes, but right now ESP settings are not showing up on my individual list. So that's a shame.

Does anybody know whether the FPA editor tool will allow you to have more driving profiles? Currently I have 5: eco, normal, comfort, sport and individual.
Could you have 6 of 7? Or is the gateway limited to 5?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Drift mode is indeed its own driving profile on mk8 golf. The Arteon doesn't have it at all with a 08E diff.

That would be brilliant yes, but right now ESP settings are not showing up on my individual list. So that's a shame.

Does anybody know whether the FPA editor tool will allow you to have more driving profiles? Currently I have 5: eco, normal, comfort, sport and individual.
Could you have 6 of 7? Or is the gateway limited to 5?
You can setup 11 (maybe it's 12) driving profiles in the dataset. But the car will only show the positions for which you have the FEC/Swap.

You can "reassign" one of your FEC/Swap enabled positions to something else. So like I mentioned earlier some people replace Eco with Comfort if they retrofit DCC. All that means is changing the picture that shows for a given profile, although it doesn't enable settings specific to that FEC.

You could, for example, set it so your Sport mode shows the Race graphic instead, or even the Nürburgring graphic for that matter. And then within your new Race mode set everything however you like.

The module settings aren't explicitly tied to any mode. So you could set DCC to comfort in all of your profiles if you wanted.

Back towards the topic... just need to see what request is being sent to the diff modules when the Drift Driving Profile is selected.

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
I'll try to figure it out, I have a feeling it's perhaps a 5WA/MQB Evo only function. But I'll give it a try when I have the modules.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I suspect it will be possible. Generally the gateway just sends a "number" request to the various modules. The receiving module has to know what that number means.

So when cars started coming out with 15 DCC settings (the slider) the gateway dataset had to be modified. Instead of sending 1, 2 or 3 (comfort, normal or sport) it now sends 1-15 (from softest to firmest).

You also had to be running DCC software ****C. If you were running A or B index software (which only expected a 1, 2 or 3 command from the gateway) it wouldn't matter that you configured the driving profile dataset to show the slider.

Hypothetically the gateway command to the new diffs might be "5" for drift mode. Would just need someone with an MK8 (or any car with drift mode) to check some real time measuring values. Then we configure the gateway in your Mk7/7.5 dataset to send that value.

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
I suspect you're right Cuzoe. I'll look into dataset modifications after I confirmed the diff is retrofit-able. Thanks for thinking along.