GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
For the life of me, I'll never get that.
Never understand how driving something massive can be enjoyable.
I get owning it if you need the passenger and cargo capacities - this goes for suv's as well.
But if you don't? And so many don't seem to need or use them for their intended purposes... How can that be enjoyable to drive?
It's like being massively overweight vs being light and athletic.
One thing I have recently come to realize though, that I didn't know - is that giant pickups (crew cab luxo ones) have become a status symbol.
The present day big car, or McMansion.
The show off thing for people who think they are big shots.
I didn't really know that because I had the old aesthetic of who a pickup truck owner was. I thought pickup truck owners were just over buying.

I can understand having a normal sized truck like a tacoma as second vehicle, they come in handy when you need to move stuff but people buy massive trucks just to drive around, plus they are so expensive. Just something I would never do.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
more of a statement but I don't understand people who buy 70+ grand trucks and just drive them from A to B.
I can understand having a normal sized truck like a tacoma as second vehicle, they come in handy when you need to move stuff but people buy massive trucks just to drive around, plus they are so expensive. Just something I would never do.
It's the same as a sports car, tons of people buy them with no intention of using them for what they were designed to do. To me the difference is the owners; guys who buy a $100k sports car don't bother pretending they needed it, they come right out and say they just wanted it. Fancy truck drivers like to pretend they needed it by saying they tow a camper once a year or that it's really helpful for Home Depot trips for big stuff they'll make 3 times over the life of the truck.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't have a problem with people buying big trucks and SUV's. They should buy what makes them happy. Let's face it. ALMOST everyone in this forum would buy a vehicle they didn't need if they had the money.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I don't have a problem with people buying big trucks and SUV's. They should buy what makes them happy. Let's face it. ALMOST everyone in this forum would buy a vehicle they didn't need if they had the money.

True, I'll just never understand how driving something massive is enjoyable.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
True, I'll just never understand how driving something massive is enjoyable.
I think some people see it more as safety, than enjoyable. Being seated well above most cars, while moving at higher speeds, certainly has its advantages. A lot of people fear smaller cars for being crushed by all the SUV and Pickup drivers in an accident. You hear it a lot about driving a Miata, from people that don’t own one.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think some people see it more as safety, than enjoyable. Being seated well above most cars, while moving at higher speeds, certainly has its advantages. A lot of people fear smaller cars for being crushed by all the SUV and Pickup drivers in an accident. You hear it a lot about driving a Miata, from people that don’t own one.

I had 2 black Miatas and then a True Red. The 2 black one were invisible to traffic and I had to watch all the time and avoid people trying to occupy my space routinely.

It didn't happen in the red one.

Moral of the story, if you drive a small car, get it in red, yellow or orange if you want to live.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I had 2 black Miatas and then a True Red. The 2 black one were invisible to traffic and I had to watch all the time and avoid people trying to occupy my space routinely.

It didn't happen in the red one.

Moral of the story, if you drive a small car, get it in red, yellow or orange if you want to live.
My red car was rear ended three separate times while I was stopped, just sitting at lights. Red cars can suck it, they're apparently invisible to people. I had Hella horns on my Miata, that's what kept it safe.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My red car was rear ended three separate times while I was stopped, just sitting at lights. Red cars can suck it, they're apparently invisible to people. I had Hella horns on my Miata, that's what kept it safe.

What country were you in? I can see that in southern Italy, and it would be your fault for stopping at a red light, everyone knows red lights are optional below Rome, but in Texas? Get a rope.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
What country were you in? I can see that in southern Italy, and it would be your fault for stopping at a red light, everyone knows red lights are optional below Rome, but in Texas? Get a rope.
All in Dallas, was fine in California. The funniest was an uninsured lady in a Firebird who did $22k of damage to my car, but got four, round holes in her front bumper.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
All in Dallas, was fine in California. The funniest was an uninsured lady in a Firebird who did $22k of damage to my car, but got four, round holes in her front bumper.

Maybe Texans just hate BMWs? 🤔

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
They're not invisible to cops unfortunately. In my red cars I have been pulled over (but not ticketed) for:
Running a yellow light
1mph over speed limit
2mph over speed limit
3mph over speed limit
2mph under the speed limit
Passing in a passing zone at legal speed
Accelerating too fast
Coming to a complete stop at a stop sign

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
They're not invisible to cops unfortunately. In my red cars I have been pulled over (but not ticketed) for:
Running a yellow light
1mph over speed limit
2mph over speed limit
3mph over speed limit
2mph under the speed limit
Passing in a passing zone at legal speed
Accelerating too fast
Coming to a complete stop at a stop sign
Ha, I was just laughing about that. I sold my green NB Miata for the red M Coupe. I drove the snot out of that Miata, I would slide it across the intersection by my house, snap the tail back and turn down the next street with it floored, sliding past women and children and they'd all wave and say 'cute car!' as I went by. The BMW I'd drive five under the speed limit with the stability control fully on and every one would yell 'slow down, asshole!' at every opportunity. Again, red cars can suck it.

There was one time I blatantly ran a red light and noticed a cop sitting just on the other side of the light as I was going through it. He flipped the lights on, I pulled over without making him move. He came up, said he loved the car, I offered to let him drive it, he said that would look weird but just gave me a warning and let me go. So every once in a while, weird red cars work to your advantage.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
There was one time I blatantly ran a red light and noticed a cop sitting just on the other side of the light as I was going through it. He flipped the lights on, I pulled over without making him move. He came up, said he loved the car, I offered to let him drive it, he said that would look weird but just gave me a warning and let me go. So every once in a while, weird red cars work to your advantage.
With the red car in my avatar I got pulled over as I was literally about to hit a little bong while I was going 15 mph over the speed limit. The cop made me smash the bong, dump my weed, and they searched the car for more. They never even mentioned the speeding. After I got searched the cop was like, "I used to have one of these" and then proceeded to show me hiding spots that I never knew about. Then we talked about my mods and he talked about his old mk4 while he admired mine. All I got from that one was a verbal warning.