GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Very pleased with my Mk 5, 6, & 7 GTI’s but if they don’t have a wider door opening, I’ll have to pass on the Mk 8. The entry/exit rotating motion required around the B post is too difficult for my 6’3”, 81 years old body. Legroom is actually fine after I am in there. A two door version would be great.
An issue my dad has with his VW Polo and most cars to be honest, including my Mk7 Golf. He isn't disabled or has physical issues as such and gets about ok but he'd like a bit wider 'open door gap' on cars, a bit more height too, without needing to select an SUV which he isn't keen on. Apparently I miss the top of the door opening by nary a hair's breadth when getting in / out of my Golf, or so I'm told, though I've cracked my skull on it just the once. The car was ok though ;)....

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Very pleased with my Mk 5, 6, & 7 GTI’s but if they don’t have a wider door opening, I’ll have to pass on the Mk 8. The entry/exit rotating motion required around the B post is too difficult for my 6’3”, 81 years old body. Legroom is actually fine after I am in there. A two door version would be great.
The problem with two door cars is that they’re even more difficult to get in and out of than a four door car if you‘re parked in a confined space.

In those circumstances, the longer doors on a two door car mean it’s often not possible to open the doors wide enough for easy entry and exit to and from the cabin.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
The problem with two door cars is that they’re even more difficult to get in and out of than a four door car if you‘re parked in a confined space.

In those circumstances, the longer doors on a two door car mean it’s often not possible to open the doors wide enough for easy entry and exit to and from the cabin.
😱 I’m already terrified of parking next to anyone. $300 in PDR so far and counting. A lot of people don’t care about door dings so they don’t expect you to either.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
😱 I’m already terrified of parking next to anyone. $300 in PDR so far and counting. A lot of people don’t care about door dings so they don’t expect you to either.

Yea, I park a mile away in this car. I had to park closer to building one time picking up some wings at bww when I first got the car, no cars around me so figured would be ok. Came outside after being inside for 15 minutes and this dumb lady was parked super close to me, checked out the side for and dings and there was a scuff and tear in my ppf on side mirror from her door. F’n crazy people don’t pay attention to sh*t, I park miles away now

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Even if you park far someone always wants to be up in your shit. It’s like being in an empty movie theater and some asshat has to sit directly in front of you.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
1607792957506.png

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Some locals here in So Cal have seen the Mk8 on the freeway. From the pic...it looks to be an R. VW's emissions lab in in Westlake. Its wearing an AZ plate...where I believe VW does their warm weather testing.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I usually don't let wheel gap bother me. That being said you may have just a bit too much there. ;)

Three feet of wheel gap. It's the new trend.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
First they were deleting their rear wipers, now it's wheels and tires...

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c