GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Xenon Low Beam Bulb Replacement

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Does anyone have a write up on how to replace the low beam bulbs on a MK7 with Lighting Package (Bi-Xenon headlights)? Do you have to remove the entire headlight from the car and take the bumper off etc?

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
it's MUCH easier to remove the headlight assembly----NO need to completely remove the bumper----undo the screws in the fender well and on the bottom splash pan and pull the bumper from the fender to expose the one screw holding the headlight...Shade tree mechanics but it works.

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
forgot---remove the front grill---the (2) T25 screws
ALSO---there are (4) screws in the fender well and (2) under the bumper cover....
Pull the cover forward and out at the side. you'll see that hidden screw for the headlight assembly....
The headlight screws are T30

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Thanks if you remove the headlight do you have to re-aim them and stuff when you put them back in or is there only one way they can go in?

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
So the bulb on the passenger side turned kind of a orange/purpleish color and then started flickering and died. Yesterday I noticed on start up in my garage it was still intermittently flickering but not really turning on.

Is the bulb or the ballast the common failure on these cars? I don't believe there's a separate igniter on the D3S setup.

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
Thanks if you remove the headlight do you have to re-aim them and stuff when you put them back in or is there only one way they can go in?
Headlight alignment is not necessary---you aren't moving any hard stops---there are (2)...one attached to the assembly(rear, bottom where one of the mounting bolts slides through) the other a jam screw up front....you'll see it when you remove the assembly
So the bulb on the passenger side turned kind of a orange/purpleish color and then started flickering and died. Yesterday I noticed on start up in my garage it was still intermittently flickering but not really turning on.

Is the bulb or the ballast the common failure on these cars? I don't believe there's a separate igniter on the D3S setup.

To test your ballast simply install a known good bulb....FWIW the OE ballast are very robust.
Not to sound like a smart-ass but be sure to clean the bulb to remove any contaminates ....rubbing alcohol works well....

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Headlight alignment is not necessary---you aren't moving any hard stops---there are (2)...one attached to the assembly(rear, bottom where one of the mounting bolts slides through) the other a jam screw up front....you'll see it when you remove the assembly

To test your ballast simply install a known good bulb....FWIW the OE ballast are very robust.
Not to sound like a smart-ass but be sure to clean the bulb to remove any contaminates ....rubbing alcohol works well....

Good point, I could just swap the good bulb to the other side and see if it works. Also good to know that it's rare for an OE ballast to fail, hoping it's just a bulb.

Any ideas on reputable vendors to buy good aftermarket D3S bulbs? Thinking about the Osram Nightbreaker Lasers, who has the best price/service?