GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Is it dripping from where the tank upper and lower half meet or from the overflow? The long thing that looks like a clip in the center of the photo is the overflow, and any fluid above max will bubble out.

This is a pressure system, so fluid goes up as it gets hot. With the engine at temp it should be right below the max line. When off and cool, it should be right below the middle of the min and max. Only "top off" the coolant when the engine is hot, taking note of where the fluid is when it's running.

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Is it dripping from where the tank upper and lower half meet or from the overflow? The long thing that looks like a clip in the center of the photo is the overflow, and any fluid above max will bubble out.

This is a pressure system, so fluid goes up as it gets hot. With the engine at temp it should be right below the max line. When off and cool, it should be right below the middle of the min and max. Only "top off" the coolant when the engine is hot, taking note of where the fluid is when it's running.
Great question. I've been looking at the pic and thinking about it today, and I had a thought that if that thing I called a clip was the overflow, that maybe my pouring technique had inadvertently sent some out the vent.
I've been filling the reservoir from cold (>6 hrs from engine off), usually starting around 0.3-0.5" below the Low line, and filling to middle. I thought that since the system pressurizes under heat that it was inadvisable to open the cap till the whole thing had lots of time to cool?

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
The owner's manual for my 2019 says the opposite, only to check when cold.

Isn't is risky checking when hot?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Yea, you want to add coolant when the engine is cold. If you're below the min line when the car is cold, fill it to the min line. After that you can start it and see where you end up hot but it won't be any lower than the min line while running unless you have a leak somewhere

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 GTI DSG AutoBahn
The owner's manual for my 2019 says the opposite, only to check when cold.

Isn't is risky checking when hot?
Yeah I've always been told that opening when hot has the chance of shooting hot coolant all over the place. Not sure if its the same with overflow tanks vs a radiator cap. Would assume it is since its a pressurized system.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
You guys are right, I was just typing faster than my brain was moving.

Take note of where it is when hot and then top off the difference when cold. Opening it when hot will cause it to spill over. It goes up when hot in this system so that's what you're looking to be below max to avoid spillover.

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Update after having a look at the tank while I was doing my pre-drive top off Friday afternoon.

I haven't played around with it yet but I'm guessing that hole on the inner neck there is responsible for overflow control. On the outside of the tank is that part I've referred to as a clip. I had actually been wondering what happens to the coolant that I don't pour directly into the tank and get on that neck. Unlike the design of say, my laundry detergent bottle, where it drains into the tank I think this hole actually drains out of the tank and down the side.

I'm taking from this that my tank might probably be fine and working as intended, but I'm not canceling my order. I'll play with the new one to confirm the function, and perform the adaptor swap. If problems still occur I'll do the tank.

IMG_7587.jpeg

Aluminum adaptor is in hand, but I've delayed on getting the replacement hose piece and the torx bits to take it apart. If I can get part numbers I'll see if local dealers have it.

Edit: Part numbers here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/burning-coolant-on-turbo.442668/#post-8043041

Last edited:

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
This guy claims this is a real otteinger spoiler but last I remember the words are not engraved but rather there is an emblem. Can some one confirm if this is real or not?

IMG_6336.png
IMG_6335.png

Last edited: