GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
What tire pressures are you guys running? I was doing 37 like it says on the door frame, but noticed the tires wearing out quicker in the center. Lowered it down to 34.5 which resulted in tons of wheel hop throughout most of 3rd and 4th gears
38 cold.....running DWS06 so I'll keep an eye on center.....

viewsonic

Car(s)
2018 GTI - 6MT
Anyone know the best way to remove/replace the fog light trim on a MK7.5? Can it be done from the outside with trim tools?

Attachments

• grille.jpg
    grille.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 18

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Anyone know the best way to remove/replace the fog light trim on a MK7.5? Can it be done from the outside with trim tools?

I think that would be damn near impossible. The fog light, fog light trim and some other plastic bits all kind of mount in the same places, almost to each other in some cases, and there are bumper supports and the fog lights that are held on with screws that you'd only be able to access from the back. I removed all of the plastic trim off my old bumper when I had a new one painted. Since I was putting the plastic trim from the old bumper onto a new bumper I cut most of the bumper tabs on the old bumper with a dremel to get the trim pieces off. I can't imagine getting them free while trying to preserve the bumper tabs.

I think you're best bet is to remove the bumper and work from the back side. You'll need a lot of trim tools or a lot of hard plastic pieces to hold each bumper tab out while you work across until you get get sections free, if that makes sense. It's not the most fun you'll have working on a car.

Edit: Here's a shot of the back. The trim piece you're referencing is gone but you can see all the tabs it locks into.

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 8.44.45 PM.png

Last edited:

viewsonic

Car(s)
2018 GTI - 6MT
I think that would be damn near impossible. The fog light, fog light trim and some other plastic bits all kind of mount in the same places, almost to each other in some cases, and there are bumper supports and the fog lights that are held on with screws that you'd only be able to access from the back. I removed all of the plastic trim off my old bumper when I had a new one painted. Since I was putting the plastic trim from the old bumper onto a new bumper I cut most of the bumper tabs on the old bumper with a dremel to get the trim pieces off. I can't imagine getting them free while trying to preserve the bumper tabs.

I think you're best bet is to remove the bumper and work from the back side. You'll need a lot of trim tools or a lot of hard plastic pieces to hold each bumper tab out while you work across until you get get sections free, if that makes sense. It's not the most fun you'll have working on a car.

Edit: Here's a shot of the back. The trim piece you're referencing is gone but you can see all the tabs it locks into.

View attachment 270004
Thanks for the info and the picture. I thought it was a long shot. Looks like the bumper is coming off...

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Do I need a spring compressor (or 2x4) to remove my EMD springs/Bilstein B8? Should just come out? Gonna replace the strut mount/bearing.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Spring compressor

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Do I need a spring compressor (or 2x4) to remove my EMD springs/Bilstein B8? Should just come out? Gonna replace the strut mount/bearing.
How do you like the b8s with your springs? Miss the DCC at all? I'm due to replace shocks and going back and forth between b6 and b8

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
How do you like the b8s with your springs? Miss the DCC at all? I'm due to replace shocks and going back and forth between b6 and b8
No DCC with the SE.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
what could cause cylinders 2&3 piston heads to look super dirty/nasty and yet cylinders 1&4 are really clean?
No answer for you, but what made 2&3 look dirty? Caked on carbon?