GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
How can I dispose of like ~8 gallons of E85? I have some containers of it that have been sitting in my garage for over a year. I tried giving it away for free, but that didn't work, and at this point, it's probably not best to use anyway. I wouldn't mind keeping the containers, but can't just like dump it out on the ground...
Run it in your lawnmower. 😂

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
How can I dispose of like ~8 gallons of E85? I have some containers of it that have been sitting in my garage for over a year. I tried giving it away for free, but that didn't work, and at this point, it's probably not best to use anyway. I wouldn't mind keeping the containers, but can't just like dump it out on the ground...
Ask Jerry if he has a guy.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Do metal VW wheel center caps exist? I'd like to have them powder coated to match my wheels.

Shams

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Realistically, how much power could I get maxing out on 93? I don't really have interest on going E85 right now

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
Will I need to upgrade to a GFB DV+ prior to installing the DTR kit, or will the stock DV hold just fine?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Going IS38+ on my GTI, as I interpret the "plus" details to imply a higher limitation as opposed to the OEM IS38. I'm planning on running the factory downpipe from my IS20 for the time being, should I simply get an OTS IS38 tune for the time being? Is it dumb to stay on stock fueling (93 is the plan this time around)? I'm not looking for massive numbers, I just know that I'd like some more top end out of the car -- the lower area of the rev range is delightful, and I'm just looking for a bit better top end to match. In the future I may consider HPFP and E30, but I looked into the Vortex standard and don't think it's for me, at least not with a FWD GTI.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Going IS38+ on my GTI, as I interpret the "plus" details to imply a higher limitation as opposed to the OEM IS38. I'm planning on running the factory downpipe from my IS20 for the time being, should I simply get an OTS IS38 tune for the time being? Is it dumb to stay on stock fueling (93 is the plan this time around)? I'm not looking for massive numbers, I just know that I'd like some more top end out of the car -- the lower area of the rev range is delightful, and I'm just looking for a bit better top end to match. In the future I may consider HPFP and E30, but I looked into the Vortex standard and don't think it's for me, at least not with a FWD GTI.
OTS is fine and most are on 93 tunes. Stock DP is limiting, but you can run it without issue

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Going IS38+ on my GTI, as I interpret the "plus" details to imply a higher limitation as opposed to the OEM IS38.
This very much depends on which is38+ variant you decide on.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
This very much depends on which is38+ variant you decide on.
I was looking at the EQT IS38+. I've been happy with other offerings from them so far and their changes to the bearing design sound promising. Not that I know a whole lot about turbocharger engineering or even selection, I just know I want some more top end than the OEM IS20 offers without breaking the bank or digging heavily into fueling mods.

At some point I'd like to get a downpipe from @GTI Jake but it's looking like it's going to have to wait for a bit. Retaining the ability to pass PA emissions without a whole lot of issue is key, and I figure that I'm not looking for every possible bit of power out of the car, but definitely want some more top end than it currently has.