GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Well it doesn't seem to be dsg fluid then, I gave it a whiff when I was cleaning it and it was pretty odorless....maybe I just can't smell?

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Normal synthetic oil doesn't have much of a smell. DSG fluid has a harsh smell. Kinda like dead fish but not really. It's unmistakable.

How do you change your oil? Drain plug or extractor?

You're going to need to get underneath it with the belly pan off to take a good look.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Will snag them when able. It was not the oil pan, but it was kinda flung around everywhere. I'll clean it up and take a pic when I can. Thanks for your help @shovelhd @PerceivedShift @Diggs24

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Normal synthetic oil doesn't have much of a smell. DSG fluid has a harsh smell. Kinda like dead fish but not really. It's unmistakable.

How do you change your oil? Drain plug or extractor?

You're going to need to get underneath it with the belly pan off to take a good look.
Have been using an extractor for about 40k miles. And I had it off this weekend and couldn't spot the source, will probably be under again next weekend to clean it off better.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Ahh crap, got the turbo installed and found this, seems I missed it and didn't keep it with whatever part it attaches to. Any idea where it goes?

2022-03-07 13.51.08.jpeg

Edit, nevermind found it....#12:

screw.JPG

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ahh crap, got the turbo installed and found this, seems I missed it and didn't keep it with whatever part it attaches to. Any idea where it goes?

View attachment 241570

Edit, nevermind found it....#12:

View attachment 241572

Always gotta love that "Ahh shit" moment when you get things buttoned up and realize you have a bolt left over. That happened to me when I took the Vortex out, but eventually figured out where it went. It was #14 in that diagram.

Black&WhiteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 GTI '92 Miata
Does anyone have any ideas of how to prevent the child lock button from vibrating when I'm playing music? It's been bugging me for awhile but it really got to me this morning.
Vw updated the window switches. I can’t find the part number right now. They fixed a bunch of issues with the window switches not working and rattling. (Look for the window switches that have all 4 controls and the child lockout in one for the updated one) it should be like $40. Also I’m assuming you have a 4 door.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Vw updated the window switches. I can’t find the part number right now. They fixed a bunch of issues with the window switches not working and rattling. (Look for the window switches that have all 4 controls and the child lockout in one for the updated one) it should be like $40. Also I’m assuming you have a 4 door.
Yessir, 4 door.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Whats the point of the hatch button on the key fob if pressing unlock opens all doors?

And how do you open the hatch while the engine is running? Or did they make it like that so you can't?
if you want only the hatch to be unlocked

I believe you need to press unlock on door switch and manually open it via the emblem. or google hatch pop

JohnnyGTD

Car(s)
2014 Golf GTD
Hi all, back with more potentially stupid questions.

Question the first. I've just filled my tank and there is a strong smell of diesel in the boot and occasionally in the cabin, usually after opening the door. Thoughts on the cause of this? I've never had this on other cars and it seems odd, but this is the first time I've filled her up.

Question the second. Went to get in today and the car wouldn't unlock. Opened the door by removing the bit on the handle, put the key in the ignition and turned it with no reaction at all. No lights, nothing. Absolutely dead. I'm going to get the AA out tomorrow for a jump. I'm hoping the battery has just given up the ghost, but is there anything I should look out for? There have been no warning signs of a dying battery at all.

Thanks in advance.