GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah cold-start gear engagements can be like moving a plunger through a backed up toilet. If you ever have an issue getting into reverse, put it in 1st, then reverse. Same is true with the corollary. Helps align the linkages if they are a little out of whack. Also reving to 3K really helps with both rev hang and next gear engagement.

sushruta

Car(s)
nissan leaf
I have three questions.

1. I see a GTI in carmax I am interested in purchasing - https://www.carmax.com/car/21433468. As seasoned GTI owners, can you comment on the car and if spot anything that might be off about it. Also, when I look at its carfax report and it says the tire(s) were replaced once on 41k miles mark and once again tire(s) were replaced on 47k miles mark. Is that a yellow/red flag? Should I stay away from the car assuming that it belonged to someone who abused the car? My motivation for getting a car is to have a decent sized car that can roar when needed (but not always). Definitely hoping to not get a car that may have been modded or abused.

2. I know this is a GTI forum and I'll get a response tending towards GTI but here I go anyway. I'm torn between impreza and gti. I know they are not in the same category but size wise they seem to be. The power that is lost in impreza, it makes up for it a bit in awd. Is that a fair comparison?

3. Also, when is AWD really useful? It doesn't snow where I live. Do you think I will have any use for AWD?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I have three questions.

1. I see a GTI in carmax I am interested in purchasing - https://www.carmax.com/car/21433468. As seasoned GTI owners, can you comment on the car and if spot anything that might be off about it. Also, when I look at its carfax report and it says the tire(s) were replaced once on 41k miles mark and once again tire(s) were replaced on 47k miles mark. Is that a yellow/red flag? Should I stay away from the car assuming that it belonged to someone who abused the car? My motivation for getting a car is to have a decent sized car that can roar when needed (but not always). Definitely hoping to not get a car that may have been modded or abused.

2. I know this is a GTI forum and I'll get a response tending towards GTI but here I go anyway. I'm torn between impreza and gti. I know they are not in the same category but size wise they seem to be. The power that is lost in impreza, it makes up for it a bit in awd. Is that a fair comparison?

3. Also, when is AWD really useful? It doesn't snow where I live. Do you think I will have any use for AWD?
1. I think that's actually the sport, not the S based on the wheels and brakes. That's a good thing.

2. VW is a lot nicer interior. How important is a hatch for you? They are similarly quick, but if you plan to tune it, VW GTI will be way faster, regardless of 2 vs 4 wheels driven.

3. It helps when launching from a dig, but otherwise it really only helps forward traction in rain or snow. The WRX doesn't have a rear biased system, they're both gonna understeer a bit, the GTI possibly less because of the front diff.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I have three questions.

Pros: Lighting package (my 2019 S did not have the lighting package, and so I had to buy aftermarket lights). Also, it visually looks like it's in decent shape. With that said, not a lot to be derived from photos alone. Call up a dealer and provide the VIN, verify the car has not been TD1'd. Also call the major tuners (APR, Uni, etc) and see if they have any record of tuning the car. Being a DSG, you're more likely safe on that front as you don't have a situation where someone drove it on the stock clutch and then decided they didn't want it anymore, and preferred not to spend the coin on a clutch.

Cons: Not really a con but more of a timing issue, I paid similar money for my 2019 S. That might have the performance pack though, which would mean the LSD (which is very nice to have).

Questions: Is that the factory battery still? The batteries on these things aren't that long-lived, so you may need a battery in the semi-near future.

Tires: I would imagine the second set of tires on the car were OEM replacements, and they suck. A lot. My tires were getting pretty low around 20k, so I bought a new set of wheels AND tires for the car. I would find it feasible to imagine that someone didn't like the OEM tires, and wanted a more appropriate set. NBD.

Impreza vs GTI: All day long, I'll say that Subarus feel like driving a tractor. The GTI is a highly enjoyable car, and IMO much better looking. They've got lots of room for activities, and AWD isn't going to be the end-all, be-all, last word in poor weather traction. Spec your tires appropriately, and you'll be fine. Furthermore if it doesn't snow where you live, you'll likely be able to get away with a more aggressive tire.

If you're not sure, have a trusted mechanic/car friend go over it before you purchase. Places like Carmax/Vroom/Carvana/etc aren't going over cars with a fine-toothed comb, you want to be sure you catch any signs of modification. If spark plugs haven't been changed yet, it's likely due for plugs, as well as diff service (assuming it's PP).

vw_s

Ready to race!
Car(s)
vw
I have three questions.

1. I see a GTI in carmax I am interested in purchasing - https://www.carmax.com/car/21433468. As seasoned GTI owners, can you comment on the car and if spot anything that might be off about it.
Coolant is low. It's right at the mileage range where the water pump fails. Can't remember if the Powertrain warranty ends at 36,000 or 60,000 miles for the 2017 version. You're looking at $1,600 out of pocket at the dealer. This would start as a very slow leak, and most of it could be caught by the plastic tray under the engine, so you wouldn't have a great way of determining if it was a problem without crawling under the car or dropping that tray.

Also, when I look at its carfax report and it says the tire(s) were replaced once on 41k miles mark and once again tire(s) were replaced on 47k miles mark. Is that a yellow/red flag?
There's a lot of reasons this may have happened. The owner may have been switching out from Summer/Winter tires. They may have had tires replaced after punctures/hazards. They could have also ruined a set of tires from not having an alignment done. I wouldn't say it's a red flag at all, more of an indicator that the person cared what was on their car.

Last edited:

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Anyone got a link for a good replacement wiper blade for the rear? I had a hell of a time finding one last year.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
any of ya'll has full size spare?
I plan to purchase a used neuspeed 18x8 et45 from a member in here to replace my donut, however, I don't think it would fit in the well, with or w/o tire (there is a lip at the rear where the donut can slip under easily).
will this neuspeed wheel w/ tire fit in there? if it would, what size of tire would you recommend?
thx

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Had that one for a while, wasn't a fan of it. I ended up replacing it with the ECS one.
Why? You fitting it uneven? Or color off on your glass? I’m happy with mine especially vs some metal plug

Attachments

• 0F655F39-7BCC-4400-BC6E-81CF4BDB8C99.jpeg
    0F655F39-7BCC-4400-BC6E-81CF4BDB8C99.jpeg
    556.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 34759FA3-7A20-4B84-B6D9-36A2CF926A20.jpeg
    34759FA3-7A20-4B84-B6D9-36A2CF926A20.jpeg
    582.1 KB · Views: 72

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Why? You fitting it uneven? Or color off on your glass? I’m happy with mine especially vs some metal plug

While I do like the look of the plug style better myself, I do remember there was some reason driving the switch. But at this point, I can't remember what it was. Irrational fear of it leaking into the hatch maybe? I can't remember...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I like to see out of my rear window during shitty weather. Guess in Vegas though it rains once a decade, would be a different story there.

Ehh. In the last two years I've had it off, never once have I gone "I can't see out my rear window and a wiper would fix that". I think the rear wiper is extremely overrated and unnecessary.