GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Dents27

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Autobahn GTI
I'm not planning to put my winters on for at least another week or two and I'm in Canada

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
There are ducts under the seats as well, right on the floor itself. I would have expected the console vents, then, to be connected to the same "circuit" as the dash vents, especially since they have the same sort of flow adjuster. But I don't know for sure; never tested it, honestly, so I don't mean to introduce confusion!

Update: I checked this morning, and the rear console vent blows (weakly) on both floor and vent positions. But there's really not much flow from it, even at full blower speed; I don't know that it would really be worth the effort to retrofit it. And yes, I did adjust the flow regulator on the vent both ways to be sure. Likely one of those things that looks upscale but doesn't make a huge difference in actual use.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Is it too early to put winter wheels and tires on?

Yes.

I wait until significant snow is in the forecast for the upcoming week. However, my summer tires are General G-Max which are pretty good in the cold. If your summers lose grip well above freezing, you should target that temperature for your swap.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Update: I checked this morning, and the rear console vent blows (weakly) on both floor and vent positions. But there's really not much flow from it, even at full blower speed; I don't know that it would really be worth the effort to retrofit it. And yes, I did adjust the flow regulator on the vent both ways to be sure. Likely one of those things that looks upscale but doesn't make a huge difference in actual use.

agreed - it barely works anyway. Juice ain’t worth the squeeze

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
There are ducts under the seats as well, right on the floor itself. I would have expected the console vents, then, to be connected to the same "circuit" as the dash vents, especially since they have the same sort of flow adjuster. But I don't know for sure; never tested it, honestly, so I don't mean to introduce confusion!
I would expect the vents that run under the seats along the floor, and into the console, to be tied to the floor setting on the climate control. Unless there is an electronic flapper in the console vent too, I'm pretty sure it is controlled by the main directional valve in the blower motor assembly. The flow controls are mechanical flappers right at the vent exit themselves, not tied to the climate control.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Yes.

I wait until significant snow is in the forecast for the upcoming week. However, my summer tires are General G-Max which are pretty good in the cold. If your summers lose grip well above freezing, you should target that temperature for your swap.
You could take that approach here, unless of course you're having them done at a shop.

In that case you'd find out they're booking 5 weeks out. First snow week is an unmitigated shitshow. I run mine from Thanksgiving to Easter, more or less.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Right. Mine are on their own set of wheels in my garage, and I swap them myself. I can't imagine swapping tires on one set of wheels twice a year, but I guess some people do.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Right. Mine are on their own set of wheels in my garage, and I swap them myself. I can't imagine swapping tires on one set of wheels twice a year, but I guess some people do.
Given what most shops charge to mount and balance, a second set of wheels almost pays for itself after a couple years.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn

I just had winter boots put on my stock rims, because I'll be putting new rims and rubber on the car in the spring. Then of course it's a trivial thing to swap them at home. I could do all 4 on my truck in about 25 minutes.

There are a helluva lot of sets of new tires sold every year, and the mad stampede the first day it snows is something to see. It's like deciding to get TP while they're penguin marching to the crapper.

cb1111

Any idea what swill the dealer poured in? G-020-01D-SO

1635025440696.jpeg