GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Khanak

My driver side cornering light bulb went out and so I replaced it. Not sure what I did wrong but the main headlights now flicker on and off intermittently. Could it be something I did? I opened the little black circle and everything looks nice and tight. Any clues?

cb1111

My driver side cornering light bulb went out and so I replaced it. Not sure what I did wrong but the main headlights now flicker on and off intermittently. Could it be something I did? I opened the little black circle and everything looks nice and tight. Any clues?
What bulb came out and what bulb did you replace it with?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I would double/triple check connector for main light

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Anyone know how long it takes Black Forest to ship items out? I'm reaching the 10 day mark.

Also since this is the stupid questions thread, what is the extra fluid reservoir in the Golf R?

Last edited:

cb1111

I asked about cost of maintenance a few pages back as my wife likes to get maintenance done at the dealer - at least while under warranty. The dealer we're getting the car from has quoted us $1795 for the first 8 services. We know that the 40 and 80k services are expensive, with dealers seemingly charging $600 for those services - so $1200 for those two, leaves about $600 for the remaining 6 services.

On first blush, this doesn't sound too bad, but - does anybody have any idea what the costs for the pre-paid plan actually is for negotiation purposes?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I asked about cost of maintenance a few pages back as my wife likes to get maintenance done at the dealer - at least while under warranty. The dealer we're getting the car from has quoted us $1795 for the first 8 services. We know that the 40 and 80k services are expensive, with dealers seemingly charging $600 for those services - so $1200 for those two, leaves about $600 for the remaining 6 services.

On first blush, this doesn't sound too bad, but - does anybody have any idea what the costs for the pre-paid plan actually is for negotiation purposes?
Is there a way to prepay and avoid inflation? I didn’t know that was a thing

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

That's pretty in line with what I've paid for service in the past, but doesn't sound like they're giving you much of a pre payment discount. See if you can get them down to $1500. Also worth asking if that's the VW scheduled maintenance or the "dealer schedule".

cb1111

Is there a way to prepay and avoid inflation? I didn’t know that was a thing
I did that with my wife's Civics. Far easier that having to go look for coupons and going to various dealers. A few other interesting tidbits - maintenance contracts are not taxed, so you don't pay tax (or shop or other fees) when you get the service - you drive in, say, I need the 30k service (or whatever) and they do it without you ever having to touch your wallet - it shows up attached to your car when they pull it up in the computer.

BTW, if anybody needs a maintenance contract for Honda/Acura or extended warranty, then I can point you in the direction of two online places to buy it.

cb1111

That's pretty in line with what I've paid for service in the past, but doesn't sound like they're giving you much of a pre payment discount. See if you can get them down to $1500. Also worth asking if that's the VW scheduled maintenance or the "dealer schedule".
It is for VW scheduled maintenance. For Honda, I always printed out the requirements for each service and coordinated with the service advisor when I brought the car in.