GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Anyway to mark all post as read on the website since the db went down today every single post is unread... admins any thoughts. Maybe slide me db read/write and ill run a simple update for my username ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cb1111

Anyway to mark all post as read on the website since the db went down today every single post is unread... admins any thoughts. Maybe slide me db read/write and ill run a simple update for my username ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure. Up on top next to the log out button there are "quick links". One option under that is "mark forum as read"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Wait now youre telling other people to search after always raggin' on me for doing it?! Don't get me wrong, I'm on board, just surprised haha

No animosity here btw. Hard to communicate sarcasm/my stupid sense of humor through text

Great point and I was hesitant to post that. The question that the guy asked that I responded to was too broad and was going to hijack this thread.

No animosity taken by the way. I was hoping that nobody caught me on that. :D

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I want to use my car stereo to play music in the garage without killing the battery, can I simply use a battery tender (such as this one)? Or would there be issues I'm not aware of?

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
Kinda a weird question..

Those who traded the OEM tires for tires with much better traction - did you find yourself squealing your tires more, less, or the same after upgrading?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Kinda a weird question..

Those who traded the OEM tires for tires with much better traction - did you find yourself squealing your tires more, less, or the same after upgrading?

I don't remember the OEM tires squealing at all, just spinning. But they only lasted me 6 months. Stage 1 with cheap (but decent) summer rubber would spin a bit but no squeals that I remember. Stage 2 with better summer rubber and I get occasional minor squealing in 1st and 2nd if I really get on it..but this is also with the spark based traction control. Also dsg has shorter gearing so that would prob make it easier to squeal than my 6mt

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't remember the OEM tires squealing at all, just spinning. But they only lasted me 6 months. Stage 1 with cheap (but decent) summer rubber would spin a bit but no squeals that I remember. Stage 2 with better summer rubber and I get occasional minor squealing in 1st and 2nd if I really get on it..but this is also with the spark based traction control. Also dsg has shorter gearing so that would prob make it easier to squeal than my 6mt

I ask because I love the power and performance but don't like the bad attention titres squealing attracts. I'd be that much more ok with paying for good summer tires if they squeal less.

I'm worried I'll just go faster and squeal the same amount with better tires

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
I want to use my car stereo to play music in the garage without killing the battery, can I simply use a battery tender (such as this one)? Or would there be issues I'm not aware of?

Battery tender will help but it depends on how loud and for how long you play it. Big ass stereos with 1000(s) of watts pull massive current relative to lower powered ones.

You'll need to monitor your voltage levels on the battery while the car is off and the stereo is playing. Without the tender on.

If you are talking about just playing it at normal in car listening levels for less than an hour at a time, your tender solution should work. I'd just be weary of your battery dying sooner than one would expect.

Best way to go would be to get an AGM / gel cell battery designed to take the beating of having its voltage dropped low and often. Mating that with a smart charger with intelligence built in to charge and not over charge the battery will extend the life of the battery.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Battery tender will help but it depends on how loud and for how long you play it. Big ass stereos with 1000(s) of watts pull massive current relative to lower powered ones.

You'll need to monitor your voltage levels on the battery while the car is off and the stereo is playing. Without the tender on.

If you are talking about just playing it at normal in car listening levels for less than an hour at a time, your tender solution should work. I'd just be weary of your battery dying sooner than one would expect.

Best way to go would be to get an AGM / gel cell battery designed to take the beating of having its voltage dropped low and often. Mating that with a smart charger with intelligence built in to charge and not over charge the battery will extend the life of the battery.

What type of battery comes in the GTI?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I ask because I love the power and performance but don't like the bad attention titres squealing attracts. I'd be that much more ok with paying for good summer tires if they squeal less.

I'm worried I'll just go faster and squeal the same amount with better tires

YMMV but I've never been too concerned with the squealing. It's quick and and not too loud... if anything the cops probably wouldn't be able to hear it over my exhaust anyways lol

It's just the factory stereo with the fender sub. Probably about an hour at the longest but maybe 50%-75% volume. I guess if it does wear out the battery faster I'll just pay a little bit more for an AGM battery. The NOCO Genius tender I bought is supposed to be a 'smart' charger but I'm not sure if the .75 amps is too weak.

edit: apparently an AGM battery would require "recoding the computer"?

Last edited:

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
It's just the factory stereo with the fender sub. Probably about an hour at the longest but maybe 50%-75% volume. I guess if it does wear out the battery faster I'll just pay a little bit more for an AGM battery. The NOCO Genius tender I bought is supposed to be a 'smart' charger but I'm not sure if the .75 amps is too weak.

edit: apparently an AGM battery would require "recoding the computer"?

If you want to stop your stereo from draining your battery when the engine isn't running you need a charger with enough current to at least keep up with the current that the stereo uses. Most "battery tender" type chargers won't have enough current to do that as they are designed to maintain the battery on a car that is switched off (so not using very much current at all).

Any Golf with auto stop/start should be recoded whenever a new battery is fitted (even if it is the same type as currently fitted), so YES, if you have the extra battery terminal on the firewall you should recode when fitting any new battery of any type (AGM, EFB etc). It is needed by the BCM (battery Control module) so it knows about the new battery and can modify the charging regime to suit.