GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Thank you for that. Any guesses how much cooler IAT's I would get with a FMIC versus mounted in the OEM position?

I think depending on what you’re getting now and what unit you have now they would only lower when you’re using the AC, since the heat from the condenser gets pulled through the intercooler In the stock location. the benefit of the factory location is that you are getting room for a much bigger core which is a big factor with cooling since you have a much larger surface area to cool.

The FMIC location is close to maxed out with the vibrant from Jake and the treadstone for LTM. Jakes is 661 cubic inches and treadstone is 655 cubic inches VS something like the Wagner stock location at 1040 cubic inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think depending on what you’re getting now and what unit you have now they would only lower when you’re using the AC, since the heat from the condenser gets pulled through the intercooler In the stock location. the benefit of the factory location is that you are getting room for a much bigger core which is a big factor with cooling since you have a much larger surface area to cool.

The FMIC location is close to maxed out with the vibrant from Jake and the treadstone for LTM. Jakes is 661 cubic inches and treadstone is 655 cubic inches VS something like the Wagner stock location at 1040 cubic inches.

I have an AMS IC now. It doesn't say how much it flows just that it flows 64% more then stock. And being in Phoenix I am using the AC 9 months of the year.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have an AMS IC now. It doesn't say how much it flows just that it flows 64% more then stock. And being in Phoenix I am using the AC 9 months of the year.

Yeah I’m in Vegas so I’m right there with you.
The AMS site says “more than 16” and more than 24” wide with a 2.25” thickness, so being generous and saying 16.5x24.5 its at 910 Cubic inches.

I can’t answer if you will see better results with a smaller FMIC or even if you do they may be nominal.

Nice part is you don’t have to have all the labor to remove the existing one you have and you can try out with an FMIC and if it’s not worth it you can remove and not be out much money after resale.

Mine took me less that 2.5hours to install on my own and taking my time.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah I’m in Vegas so I’m right there with you.
The AMS site says “more than 16” and more than 24” wide with a 2.25” thickness, so being generous and saying 16.5x24.5 its at 910 Cubic inches.

I can’t answer if you will see better results with a smaller FMIC or even if you do they may be nominal.

Nice part is you don’t have to have all the labor to remove the existing one you have and you can try out with an FMIC and if it’s not worth it you can remove and not be out much money after resale.

Mine took me less that 2.5hours to install on my own and taking my time.

I guess that I'll just stay with what I have then. I would have to pay to have it installed and I don't have the time to mess with selling a used one. Just seems like too much money and hassle for an unknown potential gain.

edrex

Ready to race!
What is the longest length of TIME you guys would let pass between oil changes? I drive regularly, but low mileage - usually less than 8k miles per year

edrex

Ready to race!
That's not that low. Just change it every year then.
Cool, thank you.
I said low because my insurance wants to default me to 12k per year every renewal. Sometimes I drive closer to 5k but since I got the GTI I do a lot more backroads runs than I used to.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Cool, thank you.
I said low because my insurance wants to default me to 12k per year every renewal. Sometimes I drive closer to 5k but since I got the GTI I do a lot more backroads runs than I used to.

12K miles is the lowest default mileage for all insurance companies.

edrex

Ready to race!
My insurance with State Farm’s bases on 6500 miles per year. Where in No CA do you do backroad runs? I have been doing East Bay hills (San Fran Area).

Northbay, I like to drive West Sonoma County and West Marin.

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
~2,000 miles on the tires that came new on my car. I want new mo bettah tires..

Any idea how much I could get for my current tires to help offset the cost of the new ones?

How / where / who should I sell them?

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
~2,000 miles on the tires that came new on my car. I want new mo bettah tires..

Any idea how much I could get for my current tires to help offset the cost of the new ones?

How / where / who should I sell them?

Maybe a hundred or two? Used tires are like selling open box condoms. Huge stigma associated with it. Especially with some wear... maybe facebook marketplace and here?