GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Centerman66

Passed Driver's Ed
I am planning on moving back to southern california around June next year. With that in mind, I'm holding off on buying new tires. When in SoCal, is it fine if I just buy Summer tires and keep them on year round? Would all weathers be better?
If you are concerned about the rain it might rain 4 days here a year.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

gti_1789

Passed Driver's Ed

Define better.....summers grip well but short life for most of them.

If you are concerned about the rain it might rain 4 days here a year.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

By better I guess I meant, is the decrease in tread life worth the increase in grip for summer tires?

I checked on TireRack and PS4 are like $50 or so more than the A/3+ so I would be paying more for tires more often

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
if you race yes....if you just have fun with your car my vote is no. even with the factory all-seasons that came with mine Ventus Noble? although on some corners I can get them to break loose it is at speeds I shouldn't be going on the street.

.02 from an older guy who admits to not needing GTI but enjoys it.

Mud

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
By better I guess I meant, is the decrease in tread life worth the increase in grip for summer tires?

I checked on TireRack and PS4 are like $50 or so more than the A/3+ so I would be paying more for tires more often

AS3+ is all you need for DD

MVProtus

This might be a stupid question, but does the side mirror wiring order matter?
(the joystick and defrost button is set correctly)
I've replaced my covers in the summer and had to take out the mirrors out, along with the two wires connected. Today I've noticed the mirrors weren't heating up, despite the cold temperature and they were frozen.

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
I've replaced my covers in the summer and had to take out the mirrors out, along with the two wires connected. Today I've noticed the mirrors weren't heating up, despite the cold temperature and they were frozen.

It really shouldn't, it's just a giant resistor

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Wiring order as in polarity, or the order you plug the wires back in?

It really shouldn't, it's just a giant resistor

It could have diodes to prevent electrical surges into the controller which would prevent any current from getting into the defrosting resistor

I would venture to say polarity does matter, although you are correct it really shouldn't. The Germans tend to over-engineer some things though

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I was thinking the same thing ^^^^ if it's not working it would be the 1st thing to check/try (could be as simple as plug loose).

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Wiring order as in polarity, or the order you plug the wires back in?

It could have diodes to prevent electrical surges into the controller which would prevent any current from getting into the defrosting resistor

I would venture to say polarity does matter, although you are correct it really shouldn't. The Germans tend to over-engineer some things though

This is super easy to check if you have a multi meter. Check resistance across the plugs, then check it the other way. Of both readings are the same, it's not directional/no polarity. Once I have time to install my new mirrors caps, I'll check it out and post an update.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
This is super easy to check if you have a multi meter. Check resistance across the plugs, then check it the other way. Of both readings are the same, it's not directional/no polarity. Once I have time to install my new mirrors caps, I'll check it out and post an update.

Good tip. A lot of the higher dollar multimeters have diode check mode as well

2015csgGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I feel stupid for not finding it, but what are the stock rear shocks for a 2015 GTI? I just need basic replacements and nothing special?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Say you go out to your car on a cold morning and your windshield has a nice layer of ice on it. What settings on the climate controls do you use to melt it away in the most timely manner? I feel like I must be doing it wrong, cause it takes longer to melt than any car I've ever owned.

Autobahn with dual climate

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Say you go out to your car on a cold morning and your windshield has a nice layer of ice on it. What settings on the climate controls do you use to melt it away in the most timely manner? I feel like I must be doing it wrong, cause it takes longer to melt than any car I've ever owned.

Autobahn with dual climate

Crack your windows a bit. Full heat and full fans. So I think you just have to turn the heat up and hit the front defrost button or whatever. AC should be on. Opening the windows just a tiny bit really seems to help.