GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
so to answer the question.....I would have a hard time spending the $. All you are giving up is the clutch pedal....yes I know there is timing and feel but you are able to manually shift the DSG when you want to and let it do the work when commuting. $6000 buys a lot of repair work and who knows how much will be covered and not "normal/can't duplicate" I admit to being cheap so that is a big part of my saying No. I see Unitronic DSG tune in your sig....is that one where wtty may be moot anyways?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
so to answer the question.....I would have a hard time spending the $. All you are giving up is the clutch pedal....yes I know there is timing and feel but you are able to manually shift the DSG when you want to and let it do the work when commuting. $6000 buys a lot of repair work and who knows how much will be covered and not "normal/can't duplicate" I admit to being cheap so that is a big part of my saying No. I see Unitronic DSG tune in your sig....is that one where wtty may be moot anyways?

Yes, his warranty is toast.

And keep in mind, if you eat the 6K to get into a manual, you'll need to buy a new clutch if you want more power. you'd also be throwing away the money you already spent so far on your current TCU tune + whatever else you've done... idk man, if you've got the money and you want it that bad, do it. but on the books, it just doesn't make any financial sense.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yes. meaning at night i uber so I don't valet and stuff. I have a DSG tune. Maybe I'm spoiled.

Also I'm about to get the Uni DSG tune and stay on stock power. Is the DSG tune still not up to your standards? Or are you happy with the tune, just not happy with the transmission in light of the lack of a third pedal/slamming gears?

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Also I'm about to get the Uni DSG tune and stay on stock power. Is the DSG tune still not up to your standards? Or are you happy with the tune, just not happy with the transmission in light of the lack of a third pedal/slamming gears?

The DSG tune is great. I miss the engagement, heal/toe etc...

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
The DSG tune is great. I miss the engagement, heal/toe etc...

Okay, phew. Good to hear. I had 2 manual GTIs before my current DSG GTI and I don't really miss shifting gears, but the OEM DSG tune is SO FUCKING GARBAGE lol. I would be truly crestfallen if a tune didn't cure my OEM TCU woes.

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Okay, phew. Good to hear. I had 2 manual GTIs before my current DSG GTI and I don't really miss shifting gears, but the OEM DSG tune is SO FUCKING GARBAGE lol. I would be truly crestfallen if a tune didn't cure my OEM TCU woes.

makes a big difference, no more early shifts and better downshifts as well.

wantone

Ready to race!
OK have a real dumb one! Since I rarely drive at night and it's sunny till 8pm ish I haven't noticed this since purchase. But the rear ceiling interior lights stay on all of the time when driving. And if I don't lock the doors, they will stay on all night. I've pushed every light button that I can see on both front and rear interior lights and they are still on. Nothing turns them off while car is running.

What am I missing here?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
so you have found the switches in front and rear? (both by lights) do VW lights come on with dash illumination switch (left of wheel) cranked all the way up?

dub_guy

Ready to race!
OK have a real dumb one! Since I rarely drive at night and it's sunny till 8pm ish I haven't noticed this since purchase. But the rear ceiling interior lights stay on all of the time when driving. And if I don't lock the doors, they will stay on all night. I've pushed every light button that I can see on both front and rear interior lights and they are still on. Nothing turns them off while car is running.

What am I missing here?
Try this:

Get into the back seats and close the doors (all doors need to be closed). Wait 30 seconds - all the ceiling lights should turn off. Then try the switch for the rear lights and they should turn off.

Sent from some random mobile time waster.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Mine did this once, play with the light switches.

This ^ IIRC I did it by trying various combinations of the switches near the rear view mirror.

Smith

I have a 2018 as verified by the VIN (10th character is a J) but my grill badge is red. Someone was asking me somewhere else why it was red since we thought for 2018 they'd all be silver (I guess you'd get a red badge if you had a 2017 w/ Performance Package?) Anyone know why this might be?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I have a 2018 as verified by the VIN (10th character is a J) but my grill badge is red. Someone was asking me somewhere else why it was red since we thought for 2018 they'd all be silver (I guess you'd get a red badge if you had a 2017 w/ Performance Package?) Anyone know why this might be?

Because 2018 se and Autobahn automatically come with performance package.

S is silver badge