smoke appears
?????
profit
wouldn't expect anything less than the daily standard mode of Diggs wiseassery

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
You following the super wordy PCV thread? Seems like the TIP potentially also has an affect on the way the PCV works. I guess.

I mean I'm symptom free and don't follow anything in there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
man, that thread is so technical and part doesn't even apply as I don't track, but after page 11 I stopped following lol

Reactions: krs

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 GTI DSG AutoBahn
man, that thread is so technical and part doesn't even apply as I don't track, but after page 11 I stopped following lol
I watched a few of the YouTube videos he's made thinking maybe I would understand better, definitely need it to be explained in very small words written in crayon. Maybe @Diggs24 can break it down for me lol

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Blue smoke = oil
Black/gray smoke = fuel
White smoke = coolant
Lots of white smoke = kaboom

I've also seen some tunes for these cars cause a lot of condensation in the exhaust and I've seen people shoot steam on startup that looks like smoke. It goes away once fully warm and is much more prevalent on humid/cool days.

Your pcv likely isn't an issue on startup or on the street. You have to be pushing 1G+ in right hand turns under heavy braking then throttle on to get the blue smokescreen that's indicative of pcv blowby. Keep pushing it and then you get cylinder deactivation and sound like a tractor until you restart the car. I had pcv issues while stock and an inline catch can stopped the smoking on track. Doesn't catch a thing on street, but the can catches a quarter cup per 20min session on track. Typically it's on a 1.2-1.3G turn, which would be silly irresponsible to do on the street.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Blue smoke = oil
Black/gray smoke = fuel
White smoke = coolant

I've also seen some tunes for these cars cause a lot of condensation in the exhaust and I've seen people shoot steam on startup that looks like smoke. It goes away once fully warm and is much more prevalent on humid/cool days.

Your pcv likely isn't an issue on startup or on the street. You have to be pushing 1G+ in right hand turns under heavy braking then throttle on to get the blue smokescreen that's indicative of pcv blowby. Keep pushing it and then you get cylinder deactivation and sound like a tractor until you restart the car. I had pcv issues while stock and an inline catch can stopped the smoking on track. Doesn't catch a thing on street, but the can catches a quarter cup per 20min session on track. Typically it's on a 1.2-1.3G turn, which would be silly irresponsible to do on the street.
really appreciate this input. Never noticed it until my mech mentioned it yesterday. He pulled the car in (had been running for 1 hour), put on lift, shut off. 45 min later after he finished....he started it up and mentioned it was enough to "hang in the air" and him see it. I'll try to replicate today as my drive home is 45 min, but good to know I don't need to jump through hoops for a breather right now.

zero coolant loss, and I've been watching

Trip to NC on Friday...when I get back I'll check plugs and heads.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Anyone have a list of what OEM or aftermarket 6 pot front calipers fit our cars?

cb1111

Blue smoke = oil
Black/gray smoke = fuel
White smoke = coolant

This was the big joke on the Autobahn in the 80's - you could always tell when the BMW in front of you downshifted by the blast of blue smoke.

I had the "lots of white smoke" when my XJS-V12 HE blew a gasket at 240kmh on the Autobahn just outside of Nurenberg.