GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Buying a used turbo, more specifically a jhj is38 from a 2019 s3, what should I be looking out for? (Currently have a 2019 7.5 gti)

A bigger turbo. :poop:

After considering the same thing, generally, I have to advise the same.....you sure you want to just stop with an IS38? if you go just a tad bigger, you'll essentially have same spool and hold for higher speeds. Diggs and at least 4 other members have persuaded me to go that route

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
After considering the same thing, generally, I have to advise the same.....you sure you want to just stop with an IS38? if you go just a tad bigger, you'll essentially have same spool and hold for higher speeds. Diggs and at least 4 other members have persuaded me to go that route

I've had the same thoughts.... But I keep telling myself this is supposed to just be a mild daily driver. A vortex is so tempting, however.

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Some guy on Facebook marketplace is selling a is38 with 10k on it for 400$ soo it’s more of a deal then anything. I’m in Canada and can’t use e85. I was under the impression going vortex will really shine with ethanol.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I meant as in buying a used turbo. Is there something specific I should check before buying used.
With or without wastegate? Shaft play, any damage to blades, etc

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Any notable plastic intake elbow replacements out there that aren't $130 OEM? I suppose something machined would be fine too.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Any notable plastic intake elbow replacements out there that aren't $130 OEM? I suppose something machined would be fine too.

Pretty sure I remember someone on here reviewing some super cheap ones from Amazon, not much difference in fit and finish over some of the mainstream brands.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Pretty sure I remember someone on here reviewing some super cheap ones from Amazon
I see a few of the machined alibaba ones on there marked up about 40%, but not sure anything promising.

Reactions: krs

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I still have my factory intake hose at home- depending on where you live in Bama?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I'm up to the next Front Haldex unit oil change. Last time I used 2x new drain/fill plugs #WHT007168. By any chance does anybody know the O-Ring size/material?

GRM

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15/GTI MT 23/GTI DSG
Here is a stupid question. If you had $10k to spent on parts what would you buy? I have a 2015 manual GTI. APR turbo, APR stage 3, Southbend stage two clutch, carbon fiber steering wheel, pedal booster and a few more that I can’t remember right now. I already got my kid a 2023 GTI SE. Nice car but I love mine more so no need to use the money towards another MK8.
Lowering the car is out of question as I’m too old for teenagers stuff.
Thanks for any suggestion.

Edit: I also have a dogbone plus K&N cold intake.

Last edited: