GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Absolutely. And cold means cold. That means parked overnight and checked first thing in the morning - not mid morning, not noon, not 3pm but early in the am.

Do this test (assuming that you are parked on the street, not a temp controlled garage). If you're not going to drive the car that day, then check the tires at 6am, noon and 3pm. Remember that you'll lose a hair each time you check, but it shouldn't be significant.

Then, drive the car for about an hour on the highway and check again. That'll give you your "hot" temps.

Normally, your psi will be 4 to 6 psi higher when hot. Why is that important? Because you might have to check your tires hot so you'll want to know what the correct pressure should be.

As an aside, an underinflated tire will heat up faster (and more) than a properly inflated tire.

Okay say the average temperature is 85 F in the summer here and most mornings is in the low 70s. Does that mean when I check my "cold" tire pressure if it reads 32 I need to add more air because the warm temperature is giving them a high reading?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Okay say the average temperature is 85 F in the summer here and most mornings is in the low 70s. Does that mean when I check my "cold" tire pressure if it reads 32 I need to add more air because the warm temperature is giving them a high reading?

If your sticker says 32, then 32 is what you would set them when cold. The PSI will increase as the tire heats up from driving, as well as increase due to the temperature. Whatever tire pressure you want to run is what you inflate them too when they are cold.

cb1111

If your sticker says 32, then 32 is what you would set them when cold. The PSI will increase as the tire heats up from driving, as well as increase due to the temperature. Whatever tire pressure you want to run is what you inflate them too when they are cold.
Correct.

Here's the deal on psi and temps (and time)

For each month, a tire (assuming no problems) will lose about 1psi
For each 10 degrees in temps, the psi changes 1psi

So, if the temps are 70 in the morning (cold) then during the day, the psi will raise 1.5 or so psi when it is 85. Accordingly, if you check your temps at 85, then you need to set your tire pressure to 33 or 34 if you really want it to be 32.

None of this is an exact science and you'll never be exact (and it really doesn't matter if you're off a psi or two) but think of it this way.

You buy your car in June and the dealer sets it at noon when it is 90 degrees. It is set to 32. Your low pressure indicator should come on when?

By regulation (the TREAD Act) the car must alert at 25% under but most manufacturers have set that threshold to about 20%. That 20% is about 6.5, so it should alert at about 26psi.

By time alone you'd get there in November but in October the temps are probably in the 50's, so i October you'd be at (-4psi for time and -4psi for temps) so about 8psi down. If all is well with your tires then you'll probably get an alert in September.

You don't want to wait for the alert because that gets dangerous, so check your tires every two weeks or so. We did a poll on a different forum to see how often people checked their tire pressures and the results were quite appalling.

Last edited:

blergrd

Ready to race!
Any idea why the airbag error popped up? I'm was driving normally and haven't moved the seat in a week

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Any idea why the airbag error popped up? I'm was driving normally and haven't moved the seat in a week

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Does the airbag off warning light (above the hazard button) illuminate? How about the hazard button itself?

I got an airbag error when I had this button disconnected and powered the car on (swapping a new screen in). Wondering if something is somehow disconnected / failing there.

Nappy216

Ready to race!
R has the IS38 and GTI the IS20.
Stupid question ....why not the other way around?

The R's AWD could handle the early/quicker power of the IS20
The GTI would do better with slower spool and higher RPM power since it's FWD.

jwsweet59

4500 miles and in the dealer with a noisy output shaft. Sounded like a noisy throw out bearing so I took it in. Engineers at VW want to see the output shaft. Sample of the clutch fluid pointed in a different direction. VW is now removing my new transmission to check out the output bearing??

Any one else have a new GTI with this problem.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WoNayT

Passed Driver's Ed
So... yes I searched and unless I missed it I didn't see this discussed. I swapped out my turbo inlet pipe and was just looking at my OEM one and noticed oil on the turbo side of the pipe, is this normal? It appears to be coming from the turbo side (obviously) but not sure if it seats far enough in to get to the oil in the turbo?

bigdave79

Ready to race!
So... yes I searched and unless I missed it I didn't see this discussed. I swapped out my turbo inlet pipe and was just looking at my OEM one and noticed oil on the turbo side of the pipe, is this normal? It appears to be coming from the turbo side (obviously) but not sure if it seats far enough in to get to the oil in the turbo?
Is your air filter aftermarket? Like a K&N drop in filter?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
4500 miles and in the dealer with a noisy output shaft. Sounded like a noisy throw out bearing so I took it in. Engineers at VW want to see the output shaft. Sample of the clutch fluid pointed in a different direction. VW is now removing my new transmission to check out the output bearing??

Any one else have a new GTI with this problem.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sounds like a one-off issue, nothing i've seen in my 4 years obsessively perusing the forums

bigdave79

Ready to race!
It might be oil from the air filter then. That's why I went with the aFe ProDry as it's not oiled.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

WoNayT

Passed Driver's Ed
Thats why it struck me as odd as I saw the oil coming from the turbo side not the intake side and I would have felt some oil residue on the intake side of the inlet.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

Okay thanks, obviously I made setting the tire pressure far more complicated than it needed to be but I was trying to figure out why the tires went soggy feeling recently.