GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I'll recheck everything later this week when I have a day off work. Nothing else has changed on the driveline, and the shifter feels fine going through the gears normally, it just sometimes has that issue.

I used the DAP installation video to install and align the shifter.
From their video starting around 8:30
Their process looks fine as far as I can tell, I would look at the transmission end and make sure there's nothing that might be getting hung up/moving weird. Is it only when the ignition is on, or can you reproduce it with the engine off?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Should I be concerned that my shifter will occasionally give a harsh vibration when going into neutral? 2018 6MT gti.
It has happened a few times before, where I'll be in gear and coming to a stop, press the clutch fully in and then shift into neutral, but it seems like there's a resistance and the shifter will shake around until I "force" it fully into neutral. It's not difficult to get it there, but it does require an extra nudge.
Most recently happened today going from 1st to neutral in slow traffic and I think that is when it usually happens but I can't be certain it hasn't happened during other shifts too.

Tried searching the forums but all I found were issues regarding the clutch pedal, not the actual shifter.

Edit: forgot to add that I recently installed the holy shift short shifter kit and I thought that fixed the issue, that maybe it was the linkages needing to be reset, but today was the first time it happened since installing the kit about a month and a half ago.
most short shift kit are going to make it less smooth getting in and out of gear

because I'm using a heavier gear oil i usually have that same issue when the car is still warming up

one thing I found that usually helps is to push the shifter into gear a bit more before trying to pop it out (so if it's in 1st push up on the shifter before pulling down into neutral) and that usually helps "unlock" it

Ja_mill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 6MT GTI
Their process looks fine as far as I can tell, I would look at the transmission end and make sure there's nothing that might be getting hung up/moving weird. Is it only when the ignition is on, or can you reproduce it with the engine off?
I haven't ever had it happen with the ignition off, only ever with the engine running and the car moving.

As far as looking at the transmission, is there anything specifically you had in mind? Honestly don't know what I should look for other than any obvious obstructions that don't belong there lol

most short shift kit are going to make it less smooth getting in and out of gear

because I'm using a heavier gear oil i usually have that same issue when the car is still warming up

one thing I found that usually helps is to push the shifter into gear a bit more before trying to pop it out (so if it's in 1st push up on the shifter before pulling down into neutral) and that usually helps "unlock" it
I did have this issue with the stock shifter assembly as well, but I'll try and put that into practice and see if it changes anything.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
As far as looking at the transmission, is there anything specifically you had in mind? Honestly don't know what I should look for other than any obvious obstructions that don't belong there lol

I did have this issue with the stock shifter assembly as well, but I'll try and put that into practice and see if it changes anything.

My overall thought was anything the around the counterweight/shifter assembly that looked 'off', but if it happened with the stock shifter assembly as well then that observation doesn't seem worthwhile/related.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
IMG_20230130_173232.jpg

Do the Bars on the Innovate Motorsports Ethanol Guage actually mean anything? And is there a reason why one day my gauge reads six bars following day is 1 bar? Today is 3 bars. It's never consistent, Is this normal?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Do the Bars on the Innovate Motorsports Ethanol Guage actually mean anything? And is there a reason why one day my gauge reads six bars following day is 1 bar? Today is 3 bars. It's never consistent, Is this normal?

Fuel temp

You can set it up using the LM Programmer. If you didn't program it then it's displaying based on whatever the factory settings for the color ranges and fuel temp warnings are.

If you didn't connect the brown wire (fuel temp) to the ECU or some kind of data logger then it's just making something up.

The sensor is on the fuel rail I believe, so in a warm engine bay, and the fuel is under a lot of pressure, so it will get pretty hot where the sensor is taking it's measurement. The fuel temp will vary, it's not going to be as warm at start up as it is when you're driving.

Last edited:

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Somewhat off-topic, but has anyone seen the 2022/2023 GLI wheels for sale? They look like Brescias which afaik were only on the EU Clubsport and Polo GTIs. If they're 18" and 5x112 would be hella interested in picking some up.

View attachment 272350
Found via a very kind person selling theirs on fb marketplace; if anyone needs to know for the future, they're 5GM-601-025-AH-FZZ. 18x7.5 ET49.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Any super-secret-never-before-revealed tips for removing coil packs? They were removed 5,000 miles ago and the car is warm, but they are not budging. About to rip the rubber boots. I don’t know what else to do.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Any super-secret-never-before-revealed tips for removing coil packs? They were removed 5,000 miles ago and the car is warm, but they are not budging. About to rip the rubber boots. I don’t know what else to do.
Throw a moving blanket over the engine so you can get your elbows in a comfortable spot to get two hands on it and lift with even force.

If all else fails, EQT is selling OEM coils for $25.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Can I spray some wd40 down there to loosen it up?
Eh, I wouldn't. Rubber and wd40 don't mix most times.

Engine warm at all? Are you pulling straight up and not at a slight angle?

Only tool is the coil pack puller you can pick up for 10 bucks or so. I use one as it helps get a grip and ensure you pull straight up.

When you reinstalled them, did you lightly grease the inside lip of the pack with dielectric grease? Guide calls it out, just a little bit though. New ones come with green grease already on the lip.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Eh, I wouldn't. Rubber and wd40 don't mix most times.

Engine warm at all? Are you pulling straight up and not at a slight angle?

Only tool is the coil pack puller you can pick up for 10 bucks or so. I use one as it helps get a grip and ensure you pull straight up.

When you reinstalled them, did you lightly grease the inside lip of the pack with dielectric grease? Guide calls it out, just a little bit though. New ones come with green grease already on the lip.
No I didn’t grease them. Def should have. I’m pulling straight up and the car is hot. They come up a bit but the bottom part is stuck. I’ll just buy the tool and get at this another weekend. Thanks

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
US $11.78 44%OFF | Ignition Coil Puller Removal Tool Carbon Steel ABS Nonslip Comfortable Grip Replacement for Seat Leon Car Ignition Coil Puller
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLOHQ1Y
So I’m looking at this tool and it looks like it attaches to the top of the pack? I don’t think that will solve my issue. I have no problem getting fingers or zipties under the top of the pack to pull straight up. It’s stuck at the bottom down where the plug is. How can I remove it from there?