GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
so the boot came off the coil? long-reach pliers.
It’s still attached. But I was just thinking about pliers actually… something like this?

6F68F8A7-FC55-4A0B-9717-657826CD31AF.png

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
if it's still attached then the puller should let you pull the whole thing off. bit of dielectric grease next time to prevent it.

if it comes off, it's helpful to have something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/11-in-long-reach-needle-nose-pliers-64089.html
I’m not understanding how the puller tool would help here. It’s just a handle to pull the coil pack right? and I have no problem pulling on it now. I can keep my fingers under the pack and pull straight up. It’s the boot that’s stuck down the spark plug…tube.

Last edited:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I’m not understanding how the puller tool would help here. It’s just a handle to pull the coil pack right? and I have no problem pulling on it now. I can keep my fingers under the pack and pull straight up. It’s the boot that’s stuck down the spark plug…tube.
I think you’re just going to have to pull and deal with the boot if it separates. All four are like that?

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Anyone running a Eurocode front chassis brace + camber plates with stud nut? Trying to figure out what I should torque the top nut to. Eurocode said they don't have a torque spec if not using the M8 bolts.

Last edited:

Ja_mill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 6MT GTI
My overall thought was anything the around the counterweight/shifter assembly that looked 'off', but if it happened with the stock shifter assembly as well then that observation doesn't seem worthwhile/related.

most short shift kit are going to make it less smooth getting in and out of gear

because I'm using a heavier gear oil i usually have that same issue when the car is still warming up

one thing I found that usually helps is to push the shifter into gear a bit more before trying to pop it out (so if it's in 1st push up on the shifter before pulling down into neutral) and that usually helps "unlock" it

Just an update: I did go in and retighten the end links this weekend, and some of the nuts were probably not as tight as they should have been. Pushing the shifter in the opposite direction before shifting into neutral did seem to help a little, there was less resistance.

Something I found out last night in constant stop and go traffic for 30 minutes was letting the RPMs drop below 1000 before going into neutral seemed to be the best solution, after doing that the shifter slides right in to neutral with no resistance. Not sure if that's common knowledge or practice for MT cars, but I wasn't aware of that practice 😅

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Has anyone had an issue with their Golf's dipstick tube becoming dislodged? All of a sudden, my idle went to shit and it turns out the dipstick was the culprit.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I actually just noticed the same thing last night.

A few months ago I had a real shit idle but that's because I had pulled the tube out of the block. More recently I had been hearing some faint, unnerving sounds from the front end (mostly on decel) for about a week and then when I went to change the oil I noticed the dipstick wasn't snapped all the way in and I guess I was leaking vacuum. I assumed I didn't pop it in the whole way the last time I checked my oil though. Never had a diptube/stick cause me so much grief.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I am not surprised that mine came out, given it has always been a struggle to pull the dipstick to check for oil. Never before had a car where it didn't come out easily.
Should be bolted in.