GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
When I was hunting this year I had to leave the key in case my dad and I got split up and one of us had to drive somewhere to pick the other up. Since the gas cap locks with the car, I placed mine up inside one of the air flow channels on the front underbody cover under the engine, with my apartment keys hanging down so the fob would not slip inside and get stuck on the top side of the cover.

XoneDB4

Ready to race!
Anyone know why my AC automatically turns on nearly every time I turn on the fan. It keeps turning on whenever I try to defrost my car in the morning or just run the heat on a cold day. Turns on as soon as I turn the fan, even if the heat dial is over Hi. Recently I haven't intentionally run the AC at all because its 45F outside so I'm not sure why it loves being on so much.

AC dehumidifies the air as well as just cooling it so even if it’s freezing outside, AC helps defog the interior glass.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
If you use the paddles in auto it shows the gear. Also if you switch to full manual it shows what gear you're in. If it's in full auto, who cares what gear it's in?

XoneDB4

Ready to race!
If you use the paddles in auto it shows the gear. Also if you switch to full manual it shows what gear you're in. If it's in full auto, who cares what gear it's in?

Mainly to avoid the WTF moments when you put your foot down and nothing happens because it thought you were going to do something different.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
it would have driven me mad coming from a manual going into a DSG that won’t tell me which gear I’m in.

If it's in full auto, who cares what gear it's in?

heiney9 touches on another point here. Since (likely) most drivers in the US these days never learn how to drive a manual or how gears work for that matter, they'd likely be confused if they saw "D1". With the PRND321 layout still in existence but also being replaced (?) by the manually shift-able automatics, someone might be thinking "D1" is equivalent to putting the lever in the "1" position.

Keeping the actual gear from displaying in fully automatic mode allows the car to be more comfortable to people who aren't very familiar with manual transmissions or cars in general, whether we like that or not.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

XoneDB4

Ready to race!
heiney9 touches on another point here. Since (likely) most drivers in the US these days never learn how to drive a manual or how gears work for that matter, they'd likely be confused if they saw "D1". With the PRND321 layout still in existence but also being replaced (?) by the manually shift-able automatics, someone might be thinking "D1" is equivalent to putting the lever in the "1" position.

Keeping the actual gear from displaying in fully automatic mode allows the car to be more comfortable to people who aren't very familiar with manual transmissions or cars in general, whether we like that or not.

That could well be it.

Over here it’s the opposite - though that’s changing. A quick google tells me that in 2004, 17.6% of cars sold in the UK had an automatic transmission whereas now it’s more like a third thanks to more sophisticated boxes matching the responsiveness, drivability and fuel economy of manuals.

Right now I’d still tell new drivers that it’s important to learn on a manual (for one thing, learning on an auto in the UK means your license doesn’t allow you to drive manuals). I do wonder if in a few years that’ll sound like the grouchy argument of an old DJ saying you’re not legit unless you carry 4 boxes of vinyl everywhere you go and learn to beat match on broken turntables.

CeleritasPrime

Ready to race!

Yeah, it would be nice to have the option. At least for some entertainment. Mine's a manual and I find it a little disconcerting not knowing the gear when I drive my wife's car. Maybe someone can figure out how to do it with OBD Eleven.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
So when you are full auto in your wife's car it's disconcerting not to know the gear # you're in? I can tell what gear I'm in even if I'm in auto by how fast I'm going and the engine speed. Just move to full manual.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
So when you are full auto in your wife's car it's disconcerting not to know the gear # you're in? I can tell what gear I'm in even if I'm in auto by how fast I'm going and the engine speed. Just move to full manual.

This. If for some reason I need to know what gear I'm in, I just bump the shift knob over to manual mode for a second then bump it back

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Not meaning to be picky, but the fact that you’ve found a solution clearly means you’ve wanted to know, even if only infrequently...
I wouldn't really call it "finding a solution" since it was never an issue for me. I've done it maybe twice and it was after installing my JB1 and trying to figure out why downshifting in sport mode was so violent afterwards. I'm not disagreeing that the option to have it would be cool, but I was just presenting a way for you to see.

I trust my car to shift when it needs to shift. I'm not going to be in a situation where I put my foot down and nothing happens, because that means I'm lugging my engine and my car is telling me not to do that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bennybmn

Ready to race!
Anyone know why my AC automatically turns on nearly every time I turn on the fan. It keeps turning on whenever I try to defrost my car in the morning or just run the heat on a cold day. Turns on as soon as I turn the fan, even if the heat dial is over Hi. Recently I haven't intentionally run the AC at all because its 45F outside so I'm not sure why it loves being on so much.

It’s done this on every car I’ve owned for a while. Weird thing is if you leave it on defrost when the car is off for a while it behaves differently, but On cold mornings I usually crank the heat, turn to defrost and hit the AC button to kill it. There’s no humidity when it’s 4 degrees out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk