GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Question, I was going to change my summer wheels to winter wheels tonight.

I have the hypergrams with racingline stud conversion on now. My winter setup is oem austins. I would like to transfer the oem austins onto the studs but i'm not sure if the racingline kit would fit the oem wheel. I'm not positive but i'm pretty sure the hypergram is conical and the oem austin is ball seat, so that would be an issue.

I have the oem hardware and could take the studs out but that seems like a pain. Also the austin is 7.5 and hypergram is 8.5 width, that means there would be an inch of stud showing, would anyone advise against this// wouldn't wanna damage and threads on stud.

I guess my best option is to buy just the ball seat nuts?

Edit: I also broke 2 3/8" extensions in my garage tonight. Guess its frowned upon to work on cars when its 35F
Yes on the ball seat nuts, don't torque conicals onto your factory wheels.

As for an inch of stud showing, no, the wheel width has nothing to do with the face thickness. Only the thickness of the wheel face and whether or not you're running spacers changes the required stud length. If you have pass through nuts, it should be fine, but you won't have an inch of stud sticking out.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
so i grabbed a catch can here off classified and this is probably more technically than most would know here, but it seems I have version 1 and there is a second version.

The one I have looks like this:
https://www.bmptuning.com/products/cts-turbo-catch-can-kit-mqb?variant=43938365966

There seems to be a second one that looks like this:
https://www.moddedeuros.com/product...7zvtPGdnUREUR1OhVLyW5yruV_71KzX8aAmZZEALw_wcB

Where the second version only has 1 hose come off the breather plate into the can.

So why do you think they would change design?

My setup would have feeder and return go into can and out back into the breather plate, when it looks like newer ones have more of a complete loop and the return, returns into the pvc adapter intake

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
so i grabbed a catch can here off classified and this is probably more technically than most would know here, but it seems I have version 1 and there is a second version.

https://www.bmptuning.com/products/cts-turbo-catch-can-kit-mqb?variant=43938365966

https://www.moddedeuros.com/product...7zvtPGdnUREUR1OhVLyW5yruV_71KzX8aAmZZEALw_wcB

Where the second version only has 1 hose come off the breather plate into the can.

My setup would have feeder and return go into can and out back into the breather plate, when it looks like newer ones have more of a complete loop and the return, returns into the pvc adapter intake
Why did you get a catch can?

Not a trick question, I had one, but took it out.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I don’t know but looking at the links I didn't see version 1 or 2. I would call CTS.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Don't know what brand you had but catch cans that are designed properly definitely help keep the valves cleaner longer.
I know all about this, under certain circumstances. Wanted to know if the OP new about these certain circumstances, otherwise a waste of money.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I don’t know but looking at the links I didn't see version 1 or 2. I would call CTS.
Called cts, left email about buying any parts I might need, 0 help. “Buy a new system” they replied. If u looks at the links, the bmp version has 2 holes coming out of the main metal piece, the cts version (2) has 1 connect for the tube

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Also, anyone with this, does the bottom unscrew? Or do u just dump it out the top?
7576CADB-2F31-4E61-952E-77AF458EF6CD.jpeg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have, doesnt budge, but I swear I saw a video of someone unscrewing the bottom and draining.
Click on the link you posted and read the first review. That guy says to use a quarter inch vinyl hose and a syringe to vacuum out the can. PITA. I got the Spulen OCC but I didn't use their can which you drain from the bottom. I previously had a Veloster Turbo and used the ADD W1 OCC. I used that can on the Spulen OCC. You can get the ADD W1 OCC on eBay for $50 and use just the can on your system. The ADD W1 can just unscrews. It's a baffled can also .

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Click on the link you posted and read the first review. That guy says to use a quarter inch vinyl hose and a syringe to vacuum out the can. PITA. I got the Spulen OCC but I didn't use their can which you drain from the bottom. I previously had a Veloster Turbo and used the ADD W1 OCC. I used that can on the Spulen OCC. You can get the ADD W1 OCC on eBay for $50 and use just the can on your system. The ADD W1 can just unscrews. It's a baffled can also .
Ill look into this, def don't want to use a can that I need to remove the whole thing and drain, kind of a pita

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Tried searching a few times. Just flashed my car with EQT stage 1 and put the good ole RS7 plugs in. Car runs like a champ. However, the first start of the day (Cold start below 40 degrees), it doesn’t start on first push of the start button. Purrs like a kitten after it is started though. Should I gap the plugs tighter? I didn’t gap them to .024 but they were pretty close before I put them in. Maybe I should unhook battery for a few to reset the com? Other than this, it has been a very joyous 24 hours lol