GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That seems like a band aid solution compared to correcting the geometry of the car.

Definitely not a band aid solution. There's a tremendous number of posts stating that. The band aid approach would be to try and correct understeer a different way. Start with the RSB and then spring rates etc.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Definitely not a band aid solution. There's a tremendous number of posts stating that. The band aid approach would be to try and correct understeer a different way. Start with the RSB and then spring rates etc.

No, you should start with spring rates first, then choose your sway bars to complement the springs. Sway bars only help with body roll. Spring determine dive, pitch, ride quality and other factors that sway bars can't control.

Either way, having extra stiff front suspension to compensate for sub optimal roll center, and then adding an extra stiff RSB to try to get the car to rotate before it understeers is like putting a band aid on top of a band aid. Why not just start off with a roll correction kit (which reviews here have stated increased turn in and grip and less understeer), softer front suspension (again, less understeer and more grip and better ride quality) and then determine which RSB you need?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No, you should start with spring rates first, then choose your sway bars to complement the springs. Sway bars only help with body roll. Spring determine dive, pitch, ride quality and other factors that sway bars can't control.

Either way, having extra stiff front suspension to compensate for sub optimal roll center, and then adding an extra stiff RSB to try to get the car to rotate before it understeers is like putting a band aid on top of a band aid. Why not just start off with a roll correction kit (which reviews here have stated increased turn in and grip and less understeer), softer front suspension (again, less understeer and more grip and better ride quality) and then determine which RSB you need?

Sure for racing. But for aggressive street driving all I know is that I couldn't take sharp curves without plowing (understeering) nearly as fast as past cars. With 24 mm RSB it is very neutral. I'm not going to spend the required money for a racing setup for aggressive street driving.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Sure for racing. But for aggressive street driving all I know is that I couldn't take sharp curves without plowing (understeering) nearly as fast as past cars. With 24 mm RSB it is very neutral. I'm not going to spend the required money for a racing setup for aggressive street driving.

So you agree that it's a band aid, then.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You can change the tire size with VCDS.

If you have VCDS. I prefer to just match the correct tire size to maintain accurate speedometer and tach.
I don't have a use for VCDS and I'm aware of its capabilities. I made all the coding changes I wanted to with Carista. Have 2 other sources for code reading and logging.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
how lomg has it been since your last alignment, and are your current tires wearing well?
Maybe 18 months or so? Last time I rotated my tires I noticed the fronts were wearing a little bit more on the inside, but didn't seem too bad.

Would you recommend another one with the new wheels/tires?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Maybe 18 months or so? Last time I rotated my tires I noticed the fronts were wearing a little bit more on the inside, but didn't seem too bad.

Would you recommend another one with the new wheels/tires?

Did you use a gauge to measure tread depth?
If the tires are only wearing slightly more on the inside you should be okay without an alignment but if it's as little as 2/32 nds I would get it aligned again.

ChrisR2040

Car(s)
GTI S 2017
Hello, this is my first post here.
I just got my first GTI yesterday, as well as a new president.
2017, 50K miles, certified, mint condition... it looks like no one has been using this car.
But, I can't seem to find the Driver Mode on the infotainment system. Pressing the button on the side of the shifter does not bring it up. Is there another way? Is it disabled?
Another question I have is what pressure should I put in these Pirelli Strada Sport 225/40R18 tires? is 36PSI ok?
Thank you!