GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Until it stalls. 😂
I really curious though. Right now there’s Tropical storm Eta hitting South FL right now and my block is a river. The deepest part is above ankle like if you were wearing high socks.

Im curious. Cars can go into flooded water as long as the intake doesnt get water. Is this true? Doesnt our intake get air from the grill. I wouldn’t do it but it’s nice to know how deep you could actually go.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Personally, I wouldn't drive deeper than your fog light bulb. YMMV, but the intake pulls from the passenger side of the upper grill near the emblem. Haven't been fording with a vehicle in awhile, but also be wary of fans and stuff that's hot cooling rapidly.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
my buddy of mine came to my house today through that deep ass water. Sadly he lost his 50$ front splitter on his civic today. He’s a real one though

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
If someone could help, I would greatly appreciate it... is this a pp/golf r caliper?
1604902609564.png

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Maybe 18 months or so? Last time I rotated my tires I noticed the fronts were wearing a little bit more on the inside, but didn't seem too bad.

Would you recommend another one with the new wheels/tires?
Yes. Most places will check your alignment for free and you can see if it's out of spec, then decide if you need it. It depends on your mileage, but I get mine checked at least annually and it usually needs some adjusting.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I really curious though. Right now there’s Tropical storm Eta hitting South FL right now and my block is a river. The deepest part is above ankle like if you were wearing high socks.

Im curious. Cars can go into flooded water as long as the intake doesnt get water. Is this true? Doesnt our intake get air from the grill. I wouldn’t do it but it’s nice to know how deep you could actually go.

It's difficult to answer the question. The speed you're driving is a big factor. But I don't know why you would want to take the risk. In Arizona anyone who now drives through a flooded street and needs to be rescued has to pay the bill for the rescue. It isn't worth the potential risk of your life or to destroy your car.

Elwood

3-7-77
Having done this often on older cars, there are other concerns. When the fan belt gets wet, it may start slipping and your alternator quits working. It may quit working anyway if there is water coming through the radiator. It may short out. Older cars may not care much, but newer cars do. You have electrically assisted power steering - the rack is certainly low enough to get wet. What happens there? Dunno.

If I were in a life threatening situation, I might try it. Otherwise, no.

cb1111

It's difficult to answer the question. The speed you're driving is a big factor. But I don't know why you would want to take the risk. In Arizona anyone who now drives through a flooded street and needs to be rescued has to pay the bill for the rescue. It isn't worth the potential risk of your life or to destroy your car.
Right, there is also the issue of all the electronics that are by the center tunnel. It doesn't take much to total a car these days with water.

And that is totally aside from the fact that 6 inches of water can cause loss of control and a foot may wash your car away

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
How deep can you drive a GTI in flooded waters?

I had a scary drive thru a deeply flooded parking lot just a few months ago. My exhaust tips were at least 50% submerged and burbling, the water came up to just below the door sill on the sides of the car. No damage except for the driver side carpet I flooded with my soaked pants and shoes. It took two cleaning attempts to get the funky rain water smell to go away.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
But, I can't seem to find the Driver Mode on the infotainment system. Pressing the button on the side of the shifter does not bring it up. Is there another way? Is it disabled?
Another question I have is what pressure should I put in these Pirelli Strada Sport 225/40R18 tires? is 36PSI ok?
Thank you!

Maybe your button is defective. Have you tried pushing it hard and from different angles? If it's the button, that should be covered under the warranty and an easy fix.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I had a scary drive thru a deeply flooded parking lot just a few months ago. My exhaust tips were at least 50% submerged and burbling, the water came up to just below the door sill on the sides of the car. No damage except for the driver side carpet I flooded with my soaked pants and shoes. It took two cleaning attempts to get the funky rain water smell to go away.
Did water just come in even with the doors closed? or you opened the door?

Right now my street is super bad (side walk submerged in water). The worse part is knee deep. Luckily my driveway is at an Incline.