GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
They're also great if you have dogs that hang out shortly in the car while you run in to grab something real quick. Able to leave the windows down further without the risk of some idiot sticking their hand in your car, or the dogs getting out.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
sounds like drastic timing pull. your engine probably experienced a knock event. What map/ boost are you running?

93 octane, on map 1, which I believe is 4psi over boost.

In regard to my other issues, tested a high gear moderate acceleration this morning and confirmed the clutch is slipping consistently. Honestly glad to have at least this part diagnosed.

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
93 octane, on map 1, which I believe is 4psi over boost.

In regard to my other issues, tested a high gear moderate acceleration this morning and confirmed the clutch is slipping consistently. Honestly glad to have at least this part diagnosed.

hm. Well - first things first - you need a new clutch. The more you floor a slipped clutch the more it slips. Baby it until you replace it. You can’t really do part two until the clutch is replaced.

Part 2: Did you buy your JB4 new? If so, I would contact George smooth with bms and send him a log file containing a pull where you experience the “hanging” you are describing, where the RPMs have a momentary pause at WOT between 5.5 and 6K. He will help you identify why your car is pulling timing (or - indeed, IF it is pulling timing. It may be something else entirely, like the throttle body closing or the DV Opening)

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
here is an actual random stupid question. so i've seen around that the trans fluid and brake fluid are the same system. I.e if you flush your trans fluid you need to add more brake fluid. Could someone explain this. I mean do the liquid actually sit in the same spot, doesn't make sense

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
here is an actual random stupid question. so i've seen around that the trans fluid and brake fluid are the same system. I.e if you flush your trans fluid you need to add more brake fluid. Could someone explain this. I mean do the liquid actually sit in the same spot, doesn't make sense

No. Completely different fluids.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I think you got some confused advice. The clutch fluid and brake fluid share a reservoir, but that is totally different than the trans fluid. If you bleed your clutch, you will have to add fluid.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

trans fluid and clutch hydraulic fluid are two different things. Trans fluid is the oil inside the gearbox. That is very different in makeup than the brake fluid which shares the same master cylinder with the clutch hydraulics.

In a DSG car, there’s no interplay whatsoever because no manual clutch hydraulics

Mk7tsi3door

Go Kart Newbie
Installing aftermarket heated seats, in a set of seats that already have heat matts in them. There are two wires coming off of the matts... does it matter which was they are wired up? It’s just a resistor basically right..... so it does not matter if I attach it backwards? Hope that makes sense

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
I need some help. I've purchased these before, when I had my '15 GTI, and for whatever reason it wasn't an issue at all...

On the R, however, they're not staying fully adhered. Do I buy a spray adhesive? Is there a better and safer alternative? As you can (hopefully) tell, it's really just the edges that seem to be the problem, but the separation does spread if I don't press them into place again.
20200804_172854.jpg
20200804_172851.jpg

Last edited:

Conz3

Car(s)
Mk7 golf 1.6 tdi
Hi can anyone let me know if gti rear bumpers just fit straight on to a standard tdi body or are there modifications needed or can they fit at all
Thanks in advance

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Hi can anyone let me know if gti rear bumpers just fit straight on to a standard tdi body or are there modifications needed or can they fit at all
Thanks in advance

don’t think there are any reasons why any OEM golf bumper couldn’t Bolt up to another. The cutout in the valence May not accommodate for a single-side exhaust pipe though, as they’re larger than the individual tips on the GTI dual exhaust. If you have an upgraded exhaust that is for GTIs, then you won’t have any issues.

Conz3

Car(s)
Mk7 golf 1.6 tdi
don’t think there are any reasons why any OEM golf bumper couldn’t Bolt up to another. The cutout in the valence May not accommodate for a single-side exhaust pipe though, as they’re larger than the individual tips on the GTI dual exhaust. If you have an upgraded exhaust that is for GTIs, then you won’t have any issues.
I am currently changing the exhaust at the same time so which ever bumper I would get I would get the exhaust to accommodate it

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I am currently changing the exhaust at the same time so which ever bumper I would get I would get the exhaust to accommodate it

then I would think you’re set, however I have never upgraded an exhaust on a 1.8 car or changed a rear bumper so please don’t take my word as fact. Verify elsewhere