GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
any have a remdy for loud rattle which comes from the center console (due to exhaust). There are no loose bolts or anything, there are not hardware shown. It is the bottom half of the top which is plastic. Its to the point where I have to extend the lid out towards shift knob, and have my arm on it to keep the rattle at bay. I could probably cut the plastic off and that would solve the problem but it would really kill the quality of the inside of that center console

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
any have a remdy for loud rattle which comes from the center console (due to exhaust). There are no loose bolts or anything, there are not hardware shown. It is the bottom half of the top which is plastic. Its to the point where I have to extend the lid out towards shift knob, and have my arm on it to keep the rattle at bay. I could probably cut the plastic off and that would solve the problem but it would really kill the quality of the inside of that center console

Are you sure that the exhaust is not touching somewhere or that it is the exhaust causing it? I have as loud of an exhaust that you can get and console doesn't rattle.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
So it's 91f outside today and I just pulled in after work. Oil is still reading over 200 and I don't hear the auxiliary pump running even with the hood open.

OBD11 says no codes...

edit... I can hear the pump humming faintly, but I'm used to the beeping on and off for a while after I power the car down.

edit 2: looks like I have some fluid sitting on the (underbelly pan)? as well, possibly just A/C water? Investigating...

edit 3: Went out to get a sample of the fluid and it was already evaporated. Pump is running now as well. I guess my only concern is, is this A/C fluid or possibly something else based on the location? Potential vacuum leak is always keeping me up at night, have some other posts on the forum about concerns with loss of power and loud whistling noise under boost.

Attachments

• 20200717_184440.jpg
    20200717_184440.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So it's 91f outside today and I just pulled in after work. Oil is still reading over 200 and I don't hear the auxiliary pump running even with the hood open.

OBD11 says no codes...

edit... I can hear the pump humming faintly, but I'm used to the beeping on and off for a while after I power the car down.

edit 2: looks like I have some fluid sitting on the (underbelly pan)? as well, possibly just A/C water? Investigating...

edit 3: Went out to get a sample of the fluid and it was already evaporated. Pump is running now as well. I guess my only concern is, is this A/C fluid or possibly something else based on the location? Potential vacuum leak is always keeping me up at night, have some other posts on the forum about concerns with loss of power and loud whistling noise under boost.

If the fluid has already evaporated it's from the AC. Are there any stains where you saw the fluid?

cb1111

No stains, probably nothing... Sorry for the false alarm.
I assume you also had the usual puddles on the floor from condensation after you parked the car? That's where most of the condensation goes, but you may well also have condensation elsewhere as there are all sorts of pipes that get cold in the system.

If you had no puddle on the ground, then you might want to investigate to make sure the drains aren't clogged.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I assume you also had the usual puddles on the floor from condensation after you parked the car? That's where most of the condensation goes, but you may well also have condensation elsewhere as there are all sorts of pipes that get cold in the system.

If you had no puddle on the ground, then you might want to investigate to make sure the drains aren't clogged.

I do get the normal puddles on the ground. I thought this bit was suspicious because it was such a small amount.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Are you sure that the exhaust is not touching somewhere or that it is the exhaust causing it? I have as loud of an exhaust that you can get and console doesn't rattle.
yeah i'm pretty positive it does not touch, I had it worked on from the shop. I wouldn't say its a rattle. Its hard to explain. Its really the frequency from the exhaust is causing so much sound/ harmonics that the under part of the center console is vibrating, which is causing the annoying sound. I would only know when I jack it up and go under which wont be for a bit. I know there was a strong rattle before and It was 100% a rattle because it was touching in the rear, which the hangers fixed. I guess maybe I am one of the only ones with this issue.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Should shift point for third gear change under WOT? I've noticed it's further to the left of where I expect it to be. Muscle memory from driving around town has me in the wrong place. Car is basically stock right now, as the JB4 is off.

gti_1789

Passed Driver's Ed
Are there any Badgeskin alternatives? I want to cover the little triangle window but don’t like their 3 week lead time and am hearing different things about their reliability.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Are there any Badgeskin alternatives? I want to cover the little triangle window but don’t like their 3 week lead time and am hearing different things about their reliability.
Vinylmod.com / Kliimw.com might have what you’re looking for.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
yeah i'm pretty positive it does not touch, I had it worked on from the shop. I wouldn't say its a rattle. Its hard to explain. Its really the frequency from the exhaust is causing so much sound/ harmonics that the under part of the center console is vibrating, which is causing the annoying sound. I would only know when I jack it up and go under which wont be for a bit. I know there was a strong rattle before and It was 100% a rattle because it was touching in the rear, which the hangers fixed. I guess maybe I am one of the only ones with this issue.

Is drone causing it? Do you have a Vibrant resonator?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I had the same problem with my gti. Running a gutted cat, muffler delete, and stock resonator. From 2800 to 4500 was the worst. Unfortunately I never solved the issue.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Scoped piston 2, this is bad right? The buildup around the top left of the piston.

This cylinder misfires at idle, usually get 10-12 misfires until it's at temp.

Attachments

• 20200719152500.jpg
    20200719152500.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 123