GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

darmbk

Car(s)
Mk7.5 TSI
Sorry for butting in. My question belongs here I guess so hopefully I'm not changingthe subject on folks. I have a mk7.5, I'm looking for the part number of the small rubber insert mat the resides behind the hand-break as shown in the attached image. Much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
darmbk.

Attachments

• mk7.5rubbermat.png
    mk7.5rubbermat.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 104

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Mine was totally dead.....wouldn't start the car with me in the car and fob in pocket. It wasn't until I literally placed it next to that spot that it fired up......must be some uber close proximity emergency thing VW built in. It was a hot day too...
I believe that any car with a keyless ignition has this same setup.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Mine was totally dead.....wouldn't start the car with me in the car and fob in pocket. It wasn't until I literally placed it next to that spot that it fired up......must be some uber close proximity emergency thing VW built in. It was a hot day too...

Mine required doing this the first day it stopped working so I doubt the battery was completely spent. It was a bit startling when it happened I thought something was wrong with the car.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I'm looking for the part number of the small rubber insert mat the resides behind the hand-break...

I *think* this is the correct part:

https://bit.ly/303cgVq

You should check out those Audi-style $5 12V plug replacements on Ebay. They look just like the $30+ Audi OEM part, but are quality knockoffs. Looks much better than the black piece of crap that VW puts in the Golf.

jeffUK

Car(s)
None currently
Hi, newbie here. My question relates to the MK8 but (understandably) it's pretty quiet on the MK8 forums and this seemed like the perfect thread to ask the question on.

It's a while since I owned a car and I'm now in a position to buy one. I had a MK7.5 as a hire car a couple of years ago and really enjoyed driving it, so it's where I started to look towards. I like the idea of some of the additions that have been added to the MK8 so went for to test drive one on Friday (a Life eTSI, I'll probably go for a 'Style' eTSI).

I wanted to ask about DCC - having read a lot of reviews saying how it made the Golf ride at it's best I was pretty set on adding it (along with some other options) to the car when I ordered it. However the dealer advised against it, saying it was only really necessary on the R or GTI (when it's released) as their suspension is harder and the car lower. I'm wondering if he was just saying that because he wanted to try and get me to buy a car that was already in build so they could flog me one quicker. (As it happens the options I'll probably go for mean it'll be a factory build anyway, and the dealer isn't coming anywhere closer to two or three broker offers I've got.)

I thought the overall drive and suspension feel of the eTSI was very good, but I'm still a bit tempted by the DCC. I'm just not sure how much I'd use it and don't want to pay £900 or so for something I'll hardly ever use. On the other hand I don't want to regret not having gone for it.

A lot of the discussions online I can find all talk about whether it's worth getting on an R or GTI with 18" or 19" wheels. Given I'll have 17" on the Style it might ride a bit firmer than the 16" on the Life I drove which is why I'm still a bit unsure whether to go for it.

Has anyone got experience with DCC on a 7 or 7.5 and would they say it's worth having?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Has anyone got experience with DCC on a 7 or 7.5 and would they say it's worth having?

I owned a regular Golf TSI before my GTI and although the ride was nowhere near as harsh as the GTI it was still a lot rougher than most cars. I think people say it is due to the short wheel base. The main thing to consider is probably the condition of the roads you typically drive on.

Farhat

Car(s)
2015 Golf gti
Hey, I just bought 2015 gti I’m looking for street comfort coilovers at the same time something that can perform on some back country roads currently has some coilovers but they’re too stiff and uncomfortable. i have 19 inch wheels.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Hi, newbie here. My question relates to the MK8 but (understandably) it's pretty quiet on the MK8 forums and this seemed like the perfect thread to ask the question on.

It's a while since I owned a car and I'm now in a position to buy one. I had a MK7.5 as a hire car a couple of years ago and really enjoyed driving it, so it's where I started to look towards. I like the idea of some of the additions that have been added to the MK8 so went for to test drive one on Friday (a Life eTSI, I'll probably go for a 'Style' eTSI).

I wanted to ask about DCC - having read a lot of reviews saying how it made the Golf ride at it's best I was pretty set on adding it (along with some other options) to the car when I ordered it. However the dealer advised against it, saying it was only really necessary on the R or GTI (when it's released) as their suspension is harder and the car lower. I'm wondering if he was just saying that because he wanted to try and get me to buy a car that was already in build so they could flog me one quicker. (As it happens the options I'll probably go for mean it'll be a factory build anyway, and the dealer isn't coming anywhere closer to two or three broker offers I've got.)

I thought the overall drive and suspension feel of the eTSI was very good, but I'm still a bit tempted by the DCC. I'm just not sure how much I'd use it and don't want to pay £900 or so for something I'll hardly ever use. On the other hand I don't want to regret not having gone for it.

A lot of the discussions online I can find all talk about whether it's worth getting on an R or GTI with 18" or 19" wheels. Given I'll have 17" on the Style it might ride a bit firmer than the 16" on the Life I drove which is why I'm still a bit unsure whether to go for it.

I have. I had a '16 without and now a '19 with. I say for $900 its an easy yes. Having it in comfort for regular drives is much better than the stock without DCC (my wife used to get a bit motion sick on my '16 from the ride quality, not anymore on the '19). And I love throwing it in sport for a more spirited drive. Only downside that I can think is if you plan to get your car lowered, I believe it limits your option.

Inprogress

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I'm getting an APR intercooler installed on my car today, I had 2 questions:

1. The intercooler didn't really come with any hardware, just a small bag with this foam tape roll and a bolt or 2.
2. I also bought the APR boost hose kit to have installed at the same time, would this require additional labor to install?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I'm getting an APR intercooler installed on my car today, I had 2 questions:

1. The intercooler didn't really come with any hardware, just a small bag with this foam tape roll and a bolt or 2.
2. I also bought the APR boost hose kit to have installed at the same time, would this require additional labor to install?
1. No additional hardware required, stock bolts are reused.
2. It shouldn't, as reinstalling the factory boost hoses would normally be required anyway, but I could see some shops adding a charge for that. Would depend on the shop, if it's an hourly rate then it shouldn't matter as it will only add a few minutes to the job.

Last edited:

Inprogress

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
1. No additional hardware required, stock bolts are reused.
2. It shouldn't, as reinstalling the factory boost hoses would normally be required anyway, but I could see some shops adding a charge for that. Would depend on the shop, if it's an hourly rate than it shouldn't matter as it will only add a few minutes to the job.

Thank you so much!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.

I like having it, but I rarely use it. I'm pretty happy with how the car drives in Race mode and I like a stiffer suspension more than a softer suspension. There's been a few times where I was going on a longer trip or driving down some bumpy roads under construction and it's really nice being able to soften the suspension on the fly for those kind of situations.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion

"Worth" is in the eye of the beholder. If you plan to modify the suspension, it might not make sense. If you value the ability to adjust the suspension for varying needs and road conditions, then it might be worthwhile.

jeffUK

Car(s)
None currently
Thanks for the replies - no plans to modify so that's not a worry. Road conditions - well its the UK, so some are OK and others pretty poor! I don't think any round me are too terrible.

One thing I'm still a bit unclear about - how much stiffer is the R or GTI suspension vs a 'normal' Golf?

And is DCC in 'normal' about the same ride as a (non R / GTI) Golf without it?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I can't comment on ride but the only caution is long term and adjustable shocks are also expensive down the road for replacement. It is up to you to decide worth but many with it are happy. Yes you will set it in one mode 99%of the time and only adjust softer/harder on either cruises or race depending on what you prefer.

Mud