GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Is yours a DSG? Traction control on? I have an 18 SE FBO IS38 and the only time my tires squeal is when it shifts gears it chirps briefly.

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been super busy lately. That is with a DSG, traction control off and in sport mode. I can squeal them from a normal launch and do a squeal, squeal, chirp using launch control. I inflate them to about 36 PSI which I guess is a bit low.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Patch or replace?
IMG_0799.jpeg

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
rules say no. For my own commuter I would but not if I pushed it in corners or not on my Loves car.

unless $ is tight then you do what you have to

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Patch or replace?
Pull it out and see. I found a screw in one of my summer tires 2 years ago but when I pulled it out, it was only like a 3/8" long screw and hadn't penetrated all the way through the tire. Haven't done anything with the tire and its been good since, haven't had to add air. If it's all the way through, get a new tire. Patches are temporary fixes

cb1111

Rules say to replace it. A bit of a shame because the tires looks like it has plenty of tread, but you'll be hard pressed to find a repair shop that will touch this.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Thanks all. Discount tire directed me to their little graphic that showed it wasn't near the sidewall in their opinion and wanted to patch it. I paid for the certificates on the tires when I bought them new and I refused a repair saying it was too close to the sidewall for my comfort. They begrudgingly ordered me a new tire.

cb1111

Thanks all. Discount tire directed me to their little graphic that showed it wasn't near the sidewall in their opinion and wanted to patch it. I paid for the certificates on the tires when I bought them new and I refused a repair saying it was too close to the sidewall for my comfort. They begrudgingly ordered me a new tire.
(y)(y)(y)

The rule of (y) is that if the puncture is in the outer blocks of the tread then it should not be repaired.

Edit: And here is the correct graphic. The video is interesting as well

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I haven't received a response so I'll ask again. Does using Torco to boost octane cause any engine damage when used all the time? I had one company tell me that it was harmful to the injectors. Thanks.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Rules say to replace it. A bit of a shame because the tires looks like it has plenty of tread, but you'll be hard pressed to find a repair shop that will touch this.

There's plenty of shops that'll repair it. They usually have a dirt parking lot / work bay with a wall of hub caps.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
at 1st I didn't know why Discount Tire wanted to patch it....willing to bet $ if you didn't have the insurance they would refuse to patch it. Monkey nailed it :) with the dirt lot descriptor.

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
Can slightly ( a few mm ) overly gapped spark plugs cause knock at low rpm low load?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Can slightly ( a few mm ) overly gapped spark plugs cause knock at low rpm low load?

By overly gapped do you mean a bigger or smaller gap? You said a "few MM". If by a few you mean 2MM then yes it could cause knock from misfiring. A .6 MM gap is .024 and a 1.8 MM gap is .071. So you can see that a few MM would be a huge difference on the gap.

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
By overly gapped do you mean a bigger or smaller gap? You said a "few MM". If by a few you mean 2MM then yes it could cause knock from misfiring. A .6 MM gap is .024 and a 1.8 MM gap is .071. So you can see that a few MM would be a huge difference on the gap.

Sorry I meant a few hundredths of a inch above the recommended range