GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

colonel1941

Passed Driver's Ed
Mk7 GTI - 18x7.5 et49
MK7 R - 18x7.5 et51 OR 19x8 et50

GTI vs Mk7r 18s - GTI wheels extend 2mm wider than R
GTI vs Mk7r 19s - GTI wheels retract 5mm vs R

So if you have the 18s, they GTI kit will work.

ECS sells a different kit for the 19s - 10mm front/17.5mm rear I believe. The GTI kit and R (18s) kit are both 15mm front/20mm rear.

THANKS

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Anyone else ever had issues with oem brake pad rattling?

I've figured out that this is what's been driving me insane since I've picked up the car over a year ago (used).

I thought it was my suspension, even though I've changed setups twice since getting the car. But no, it's the goddamn brake pads rattling when driving over shitty roads and manhole covers.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Yes, I'll be replacing them. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue.

eljay1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi. I'm recently new to VW and a very happy owner of a 2018 GTI (base model). :cool:

I'm shopping around for winter tires and I can't seem to get a definitive answer on whether I can put 16" OEM alloys (w/ 205/55R16 tires) on this car. A couple of dealerships have said 'no' because the brake calipers are too large. A couple of dealerships (and VW.ca) haven't bothered to respond to my inquiry. And reputable local tire shops are saying 'yes' and offering packages with 16" rims.

I suppose I could go 205/50R17 on 17" alloys, but 205/55R16s are pretty common and relatively inexpensive.

Any helpful insight re. whether or not 16" alloys will fit the GTI is appreciated. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Take a picture of the front calipers and post but i think i heard that all 2018 gti`s in Canada have PP package.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Hi. I'm recently new to VW and a very happy owner of a 2018 GTI (base model). :cool:

I'm shopping around for winter tires and I can't seem to get a definitive answer on whether I can put 16" OEM alloys (w/ 205/55R16 tires) on this car. A couple of dealerships have said 'no' because the brake calipers are too large. A couple of dealerships (and VW.ca) haven't bothered to respond to my inquiry. And reputable local tire shops are saying 'yes' and offering packages with 16" rims.

I suppose I could go 205/50R17 on 17" alloys, but 205/55R16s are pretty common and relatively inexpensive.

Any helpful insight re. whether or not 16" alloys will fit the GTI is appreciated. Thanks. :)

If the local shop wants to make a sale, they'll put your car on the lift, fit one and show you if it works or not. Seems like the easiest way to get to the bottom of it, no?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
A couple of dealerships have said 'no' because the brake calipers are too large.

Looks like you did get a definitive answer after all. You cannot fit them, the brake calipers are too large.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

eljay1

Passed Driver's Ed
Take a picture of the front calipers and post but i think i heard that all 2018 gti`s in Canada have PP package.
Here's a pic...

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 224

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Since you alredy have 17 inch wheels that fit i would put winters on those and get some nice grippy 235 40/18 with lightweight wheels for summer.