GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 lowering spring install diy tips, tools, and pics

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Its one of those things where if it doesn’t fall into place on the first try or two the weight of the spindle/hub/brake will get to you and make things much more difficult.

I normally reinstall the bolt to keep grease from coming out (first picture shows that) while I’m working on it, but some cars never loose a drop and some it’s coming out like a waterfall as soon as the bolts gone. The worst part is it’s like Never Seize one drop and you’re covered in it lol.
I did put the bolts back in but while wrestling to get the axle back through while getting the hub onto the strut it just poured out. Think I should just get some standrad CV grease and fill a little in each hole? I can't find a specific grease in the service manual

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I did put the bolts back in but while wrestling to get the axle back through while getting the hub onto the strut it just poured out. Think I should just get some standrad CV grease and fill a little in each hole? I can't find a specific grease in the service manual

Im sure anything is better than letting it go without it, pump a few shots back in before putting the new hardware in and call it a day.

The most important thing is new hardware and proper torque (which the brakes definitely need to be held on to apply)

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Im sure anything is better than letting it go without it, pump a few shots back in before putting the new hardware in and call it a day.

The most important thing is new hardware and proper torque (which the brakes definitely need to be held on to apply)
Sounds good. now im worried i screwed something else up while pushing the axles around because i read that youre supposed to support them or else they could be damaged. only one way to find out, when i drive it again haha

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Also just for fun, heres my pants after this. Most of that is grease from the axle, and brake dust from supporting the caliper on my leg haha. I dont know why I love this hobby. Can be so frustrating sometimes but I still love doing it
20200411_170837.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Sounds good. now im worried i screwed something else up while pushing the axles around because i read that youre supposed to support them or else they could be damaged. only one way to find out, when i drive it again haha

Once it’s bolted in spin it over and you’ll be able to tell if it’s damaged.

For what it’s worth I’ve lowered dozens of Volkswagens and never had an issue with damaging a CV

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Also just for fun, heres my pants after this. Most of that is grease from the axle, and brake dust from supporting the caliper on my leg haha. I dont know why I love this hobby. Can be so frustrating sometimes but I still love doing it
View attachment 169885

You could sell those for two grand on Rodeo Drive.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
You could sell those for two grand on Rodeo Drive.
Then I could afford to pay someone to install my damn springs next time haha

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Then I could afford to pay someone to install my damn springs next time haha

I sell all my dirty clothes for mod money. Most of the customers seem to be Japanese, but I'm not judging.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Once it’s bolted in spin it over and you’ll be able to tell if it’s damaged.

For what it’s worth I’ve lowered dozens of Volkswagens and never had an issue with damaging a CV
It'll probably be alright then. Thanks for all the help!

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
ive got another dumb question, and after a small amount of googling didnt deem it a concern. But on my drivers side front strut, the tophat did not sit flat after everything was reassembled. I know theyre not supposed to sit completely flat, but it was way more tilted than it was before I swapped the springs. Google says that its no problem, what do you guys think? I had to push the strut towards the back of the car to get the hub back on the strut but everything sits fine now it seems. Yes, I lined up the springs coil with the indentation on the pads and made sure the springs were seated as properly as possible.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
ive got another dumb question, and after a small amount of googling didnt deem it a concern. But on my drivers side front strut, the tophat did not sit flat after everything was reassembled. I know theyre not supposed to sit completely flat, but it was way more tilted than it was before I swapped the springs. Google says that its no problem, what do you guys think? I had to push the strut towards the back of the car to get the hub back on the strut but everything sits fine now it seems. Yes, I lined up the springs coil with the indentation on the pads and made sure the springs were seated as properly as possible.

Picture is worth a thousand words.

If the notch between the upper and lower is lined up, it’s properly seated & torqued, and you’ve got the arrows on the inboard side it should be good

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Picture is worth a thousand words.

If the notch between the upper and lower is lined up, it’s properly seated & torqued, and you’ve got the arrows on the inboard side it should be good

Everything is already back together, I should have taken a photo. Notch is lined up properly but I'm not sure what arrows you mean... uh oh...

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Everything is already back together, I should have taken a photo. im not sure what arrows you mean... uh oh...

I honestly don’t think it’ll go together incorrectly, the three holes are offset a bit to prevent that I believe.

Theres an arrow pointing to the front and rear on the flat of the triangle that faces the center of the car.

Wouldn’t stress over it, no noise = job well done