GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 GTI vs. 2024 GLI

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Did you find the mk7 GLI interior pretty comparable to the GTI's? The mk7.5 GLI interior is definitely not.

My GTI is poverty spec & the GLI was a Autobahn so not a far comparison.

The vented seats, digital cockpit & DCC was leaps and bounds nicer…but then again my gti was for me (clark plaid & as light weight as possible) vs the GLI was a poor mans Audi for my wife (I buy all of her cars as well equipped as possible).

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
My GTI is poverty spec & the GLI was a Autobahn so not a far comparison.

The vented seats, digital cockpit & DCC was leaps and bounds nicer…but then again my gti was for me (clark plaid & as light weight as possible) vs the GLI was a poor mans Audi for my wife (I buy all of her cars as well equipped as possible).
Sorry, I don’t mean features. I mean quality. Like quality of materials, fit and finish, creaks and rattles.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Sorry, I don’t mean features. I mean quality. Like quality of materials, fit and finish, creaks and rattles.
Creaks and rattles?
Can a Jetta rattle more than a GTI does?
GTI's have kind of cornered the market in the creaks and rattles department.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I get what you’re saying, even though I haven’t had a chance to drive GLI…had a few rental Jettas over the years, and yeah interior does not stand up to mk7 GTI. Like I said, my GTI is super reliable and don’t really need to get into new ride, but just wanted to hear what others are saying who switched over. GLI seems like a bargain these days at $30k though and comes with three pedals.
Keep the mk7 and start putting the equivalent of the GLI car payment away for the inevitable water pump, clutch, and possibly timing chain.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Between the two cars my only issue ever interior wise was the sunglass holder in the GLI broke twice (shit design/quality or lack there of).

Also kinda dumb they didn’t put rear vents in the GLI, but my kids survived so I’d say it’s not that big of a deal.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Huh, interesting take. My 2015 is pretty solid and has pretty minimal interior rattles and mostly only when it’s really cold 🤷‍♂️
That might in part be due to the warmer temps of Florida, and the general good condition of the pavement there.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
That might in part be due to the warmer temps of Florida, and the general good condition of the pavement there.
True. Also I keep my car in the garage, which helps a lot. Fewer big temperature swings = less expansion and contraction of parts to loosen them up.

Last edited:

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
I have owned a ‘15 GTI SE for almost nine years as well. 59,000 miles now with absolutely no issues. APR Stage One, HD clutch, 8x18” aftermarket wheels with Conti DWS tires. Also ‘19 Jetta GLI Autobahn, DSG, 8x17” wheels with Michelin Cross Climate tires. APR Stage One tuned on both engine and transmission. 45,000 miles, no issues. The Jetta is my daily and the GTI hauls my recumbent trike. The Jetta is a little faster, and uses less gas by about 2-3 mpg. The auto climate control, cooled seats, and stereo are really nice. The GTI has better seats and I do like to shift gears. Also had Mk5 and Mk6 GTI’s also tuned and also with no issues. I take care of my cars. What should I buy next? I am 84 years old.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I have owned a ‘15 GTI SE for almost nine years as well. 59,000 miles now with absolutely no issues. APR Stage One, HD clutch, 8x18” aftermarket wheels with Conti DWS tires. Also ‘19 Jetta GLI Autobahn, DSG, 8x17” wheels with Michelin Cross Climate tires. APR Stage One tuned on both engine and transmission. 45,000 miles, no issues. The Jetta is my daily and the GTI hauls my recumbent trike. The Jetta is a little faster, and uses less gas by about 2-3 mpg. The auto climate control, cooled seats, and stereo are really nice. The GTI has better seats and I do like to shift gears. Also had Mk5 and Mk6 GTI’s also tuned and also with no issues. I take care of my cars. What should I buy next? I am 84 years old.
Sounds like you love the cars and they're still low mileage, so I see no reason to get anything else. I've only sat in a mk8 GTI once, but I found the controls very frustrating, so I think "upgrading" to a newer model could be a downgrade for some. It requires too much concentration to do basic tasks like change the temp or volume, but the improved dynamics of the mk8 are appealing. I think the mk7 is peak GTI and probably GLI too.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
A Golf R.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
I guess the GLI is OK, if you want to get your doors blown off by a V6 Camry. :)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I don't know, I had a 2005 GLI, and test drove an 07 and was let down by the quality. Faster, but felt cheap. I do agree that the MK6 was pure garbage compared to both the MK4 and 5. When I bought my 2020 GTI I drove a 2020 GLI, was not impressed. I don't think I can place them in the same category as the GTI, no matter what GEN, but the quality and handling characteristics did suffer after the MK4/5.
I have no prior VW experience with the MK4's.....I just meant that the MK5 GTI & GLI were identical inside, minus the sedan styling. (same seats/dash layout/design).
Whereas with the MK6 & on, the GLI and GTI were completely different (interior) designs.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Question to the OP....do you really need a bigger car, cause that's what the GLI is. Drop in a bigger turbo, tune it and enjoy it.....9 years is nothing....if you like it, keep it!
Don't really need a bigger car for myself, we also have a Tiguan in the house for trips. Every now and then I get the itch to get into something new, but Jetta seems like a downgrade in a lot of ways, except space.
I don't intend to mod a GTI either, maybe APR+ mild tune at some point, but that's about it.