GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI vs 2013 Accord V6 vs 2013 JCW Mini

MK7HOGO

Hey guys, I'm new to the VW world. I previously owned a FRS and this is the first GTI I've owned. The past few months of ownership have been nothing but amazing. This car continues to surprise me on all levels. Right now my car is DSG and 100% stock, except for an AWE catback I installed last weekend.

Anyways, my brother has a 2013 Accord V6, which is also stock, and he has been itching to race me since I got the car. So, it finally happened last night. We did a 40mph roll, and damn I was surprised at how well the GTI kept up with the Accord. He managed to edge me out by half a car @ 100mph. I thought he would have walked me, considering the horsepower advantage he has. This little GTI is just amazing. My old frs would never have stood a chance.

Next up, a race with my buddies JCW Mini. We did a 40mph roll and I managed to pull 2 cars on him near the top of 4th gear. But, the JCW does sound amazing.

I look forward to being a part of the MK7 forum. With the 2016 ecu's unlocked, I have already booked an appointment with my APR dealer for a stage 1 flash and intake. I can't wait to post up more kills and races with the GTI. The performance of this car is unreal :):):)

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Good story mate, and good first post. Run them again after you tune it and I bet you'll put bus lengths on both.

Yeah it's definitely a different car than the FRS. What you lose in pure driver fun and connection, you gain in comfort, speed, tune-ability, fit and finish, quality, interior space, and practicality. Even light/medium supercharged and light/medium turbocharged GT86's would seem to have issues keeping up with a Stage 1 tune only GTI judging by the quarter mile times.

kidbs

Passed Driver's Ed
You haven't felt anything yet. The difference after a tune is night and day. You're going to love it!

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
So how does a tune effect the warranty. Is it pretty uniform across the vw world or is it different from dealer to dealer?

it really depends on dealer. If something breaks and not caused by the tune itself, they cannot void your warranty. If it does, it's just a matter of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
it really depends on dealer. If something breaks and not caused by the tune itself, they cannot void your warranty. If it does, it's just a matter of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep pretty much this.

In the US if something breaks and a modification is proven to have caused the failure, the dealer can choose to deny or accept the warranty claim. If something breaks and the modification had nothing to do with it, they have to accept the claim.

GTIBEN

Ready to race!
The warranty risk with tuning is very real. If you cant afford a new motor out of pocket and are the neurotic type, you're better off enjoying your car stock.

It helps to have a mod friendly dealer, but if there is a catastrophic powertrain failure, it is ultimately up to VW to investigate and decide about warranty.

My local dealer claims they will warranty up to stage 1 tune (APR I believe) if they install it and the is always brought to them for servicing. The said they will eat the cost is VW doesn't cover it... I personally do not want to b married to that dealer for a tune and am skeptical.

GTIBEN

Ready to race!
Yep pretty much this.

In the US if something breaks and a modification is proven to have caused the failure, the dealer can choose to deny or accept the warranty claim. If something breaks and the modification had nothing to do with it, they have to accept the claim.
This may be true but it will be your word against theirs. Good luck arguing against VW's layers/engineers that your aftermarket tune wasn't the cause of an engine/turbo/transmisssion failure when it clearly stresses the powertrain beyond factory tested parameters...

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Jb1 jb1 jb1...check mk7 gti subforum.

Welcome and good run.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
This may be true but it will be your word against theirs. Good luck arguing against VW's layers/engineers that your aftermarket tune wasn't the cause of an engine/turbo/transmisssion failure when it clearly stresses the powertrain beyond factory tested parameters...

If it gets to that. Again dealerships make money off of warranty work so it is advantageous for the dealer to get the work done. Whether a dealer is "mod friendly" or not depends or how much risk the dealer is willing to take to make money. For instance let's say a Stage 1 car comes in for a clutch issue. Dealership A might deny the claim, where as dealership B might take the claim. If for some reason VW looks into the claim individually however unlikely that may be and finds that the damage was caused by the tune then they can get in contact with the dealer that did the service and basically take the money they gave the dealership back for the warranty work. Simply put, some dealerships are willing to take more risk then others.

That is why all across Michigan I have not had a single issue getting my car serviced under warranty at three different dealerships while I was full bolt-ons, tuned, K04 turbo, with coilovers, RSB, WOT Box, wheels/Tires etc. Now again every dealership is different which is why some are considered "mod friendly" and some aren't. It is all based on the risk they are comfortable with. VW rarely comes into the picture unless there is a bigger issue.

benena

Passed Driver's Ed
Good story mate, and good first post. Run them again after you tune it and I bet you'll put bus lengths on both.

Yeah it's definitely a different car than the FRS. What you lose in pure driver fun and connection, you gain in comfort, speed, tune-ability, fit and finish, quality, interior space, and practicality. Even light/medium supercharged and light/medium turbocharged GT86's would seem to have issues keeping up with a Stage 1 tune only GTI judging by the quarter mile times.

All these "vs" threads, you're here advocating "bus length". Making it really hard to stay stock...