GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI/R pics and videos

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Damn u need to change your username to dr. Detail. I need to buy you coffee and eat your brain on this. All I know about washing cars is that's it's best to do it in the afternoon as epco is busy in the evenings, this followed by bitching and moaning over swirl marks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL this made me laugh. I am up for it anytime buddy! Always glad to help! Luckily I don't have swirl marks :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GTi..FTW!

Ready to race!
Umm.. sooo I don't really know where to start but I absolutely have to pick your brain on everything and anything when it comes to keeping the car clean. Now I know how you've managed to keep it in such immaculate condition. I do have one simple question - would you be able to suggest a quick way to keep the car clean for now? like maybe throw water on it and brush it down with a microfiber cloth or something. Cos my car's still relatively new and I still feel I have time for its first polish. How would you recommend washing it as effectively/quickly as possible in its first month?

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Umm.. sooo I don't really know where to start but I absolutely have to pick your brain on everything and anything when it comes to keeping the car clean. Now I know how you've managed to keep it in such immaculate condition. I do have one simple question - would you be able to suggest a quick way to keep the car clean for now? like maybe throw water on it and brush it down with a microfiber cloth or something. Cos my car's still relatively new and I still feel I have time for its first polish. How would you recommend washing it as effectively/quickly as possible in its first month?

Anytime buddy, would love to help :D.

A quick way to keep it clean is to get a microfiber wash mitt(ace has a couple from Armor All and Carrand), soap Sonax from Emarat) and access to a garden hose/pipe with a pipe attached to the gun. And a bucket.
I would NEVER just wipe the car down with water and cloth, its just not smart, especially on a new car, just water and a cloth is basically just wiping wet sand into your paint. Yes it will look clean but ur doing more harm than good. Always use soap and a wash mitt. If you don't have time i'd suggest waiting till the weekend or when you have time to wash. I haven't had time and washed my car today after about 8 days...it happens. Even with soap u will get swirls, so imagine with just a wash cloth and water....

First rinse your car with the pipe attached to a cheap gun, then add soap to your bucket and fill it with pressured water from the hose to create a foamy solution and then just continue filling the bucket with water.

Dunk your wash mitt into the bucket and wash the car, I would still suggest having a spare bucket with clean water to rinse the wash mitt after each panel.

Once ur done, rinse off with the hose again and dry with the Waffle type towel from Ace hardware (Zwipes). This is safe as its microfiber and can absorb a lot of water!!!

Once you're done, make sure to wash your mitts and towels as all trapped dirt in them are just scratch inducers. However, microfiber cannot be washed like clothes with detergent. You need a soap that contains no bleach, fabric softener or anything as those harm microfibers. I use Towel Kleen, which is a soap made for microfiber towels that I bought for AED 90 from a store in Al quoz called Xtreme Motors. its a massive 1 gallon size that will last forever! Its 128 oz, and you use 2oz per wash. So it will last about 60-65 washes :D

List of stuff, these will add up to less than AED 100:

Buy one of these from a Union Coop, along with the attachments for the pipe connector. One connector will sit on your tap, and one at the end of the pipe which the gun will connect to. There are 3 connectors below, the one on top screws onto your tap. The other two screw onto each end of the pipe. Once screwed into the pipe, one end attaches to the thing screwed onto the tap, and the other end is for your gun. Around 20-30 AED

water-jet-car-wash-gun-8-function-watering-shower-nozzle-spray-gun-2-quick-connector-spray.jpg

Wash mitt that looks like this AED 20 -30 :

Zwipes-Microfiber-Mit-757_large.jpg

Drying Cloth from Zwipes at Ace Hardware, AED 20-30:

IMG_3001.JPG

Sonax Gloss Shampoo from Emarat costs Aed 21, just bought one today myself This is how your bucket should look once properly diluted and foamed up:
sonax-gloss-shampoo.jpg

Last edited:

MELVIN ANDREWS

Ready to race!
Mate I can see you are really passionate about this and very very organized, with a job that involves a lot of travel and a one year old baby I really doubt I'll get around to 10% of the care you give. Who am I kidding without the job and the baby I would probably be in front of the TV or at the pub. I'm probably gonna get paint protection done from autohaus in Dubai and keep refreshing that every year with weekly visits to the petrol bunk for a wash, I should be ok as long as I don't see your car!!! Lol

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Mate I can see you are really passionate about this and very very organized, with a job that involves a lot of travel and a one year old baby I really doubt I'll get around to 10% of the care you give. Who am I kidding without the job and the baby I would probably be in front of the TV or at the pub. I'm probably gonna get paint protection done from autohaus in Dubai and keep refreshing that every year with weekly visits to the petrol bunk for a wash, I should be ok as long as I don't see your car!!! Lol

hahahaha, I am indeed passionate, since I got into it I can't stop lol. Autohaus does opticoat if i'm not mistaken. That is better than paint protection as paint protection is just wax/sealants. Coatings are a different thing, last longer etc.

Although, washing at a petrol station is still going to instill swirls and minor scratches which will need a polish job once a year minimum. Hell, even with all the care I take I still have extremely minor swirls which I have to hunt for, but its just not like swirls on a normal car. Only with the right light and angles can you see them.

If you do paint protect or coat or even put a clear wrap, incorrect washing is still gonna swirl out the paint, no matter what or how you protect the paint. 95% of paint defects are from incorrect washing techniques :p

Btw, you spoke to Hussein a while back about the yellow R at nabooda, i'm that friend who said 184K, which was a mistake, it was 194K after ramadan discount :)

MELVIN ANDREWS

Ready to race!
U keep finding loop holes in all my brilliant strategies!!!!! Lol.
Oh yeah the elusive yellow R, I drove straight to Naboodah when I saw a post on fb but after 5 minutes the excitement wore off plus when I did the math I could get the same done outside a couple of grand cheaper. Also I found it very suspicious that Naboodah was giving only 3 years warranty on their limited edition as opposed to the 5 years we normally get.

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
U keep finding loop holes in all my brilliant strategies!!!!! Lol.
Oh yeah the elusive yellow R, I drove straight to Naboodah when I saw a post on fb but after 5 minutes the excitement wore off plus when I did the math I could get the same done outside a couple of grand cheaper. Also I found it very suspicious that Naboodah was giving only 3 years warranty on their limited edition as opposed to the 5 years we normally get.

Just looking out for you haha.

That warranty thing was rather weird, I was wondering about it too.

GTi..FTW!

Ready to race!
Thanks for the help Mukul. Think I'm gonna start with what you just mentioned and see how it works out. Btw do you apply the same soap to the tyres and rims as well?

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Thanks for the help Mukul. Think I'm gonna start with what you just mentioned and see how it works out. Btw do you apply the same soap to the tyres and rims as well?

Anytime and yeah, same soap. Just fill the bucket up all the way, and ull probably use half the soap for the car. Then u can use the balance on wheels/tyres/exhausts with a sponge or a separate mitt. :)

Just make sure to properly wash out the bucket after as all brake dust and exhaust deposits go into it when doing the wheels/tyres/exhausts and you don't want that on the paint the next time hehe

GTi..FTW!

Ready to race!
Anytime and yeah, same soap. Just fill the bucket up all the way, and ull probably use half the soap for the car. Then u can use the balance on wheels/tyres/exhausts with a sponge or a separate mitt. :)

Just make sure to properly wash out the bucket after as all brake dust and exhaust deposits go into it when doing the wheels/tyres/exhausts and you don't want that on the paint the next time hehe

So I got my sonax soap, a washing mitt and a microfibre duster. I just wanted to buy a duster despite reading a lot about not dusting your car off.

Umm just another problem. I got a basement parking and don't have any provision to use pressured water. So I might just have to resort to just throwing some water on the car with a mug or something. Not sure what to do about that.

Also, what do you use to clean the insides of your car?

MELVIN ANDREWS

Ready to race!
hahahaha, I am indeed passionate, since I got into it I can't stop lol. Autohaus does opticoat if i'm not mistaken. That is better than paint protection as paint protection is just wax/sealants. Coatings are a different thing, last longer etc.

Although, washing at a petrol station is still going to instill swirls and minor scratches which will need a polish job once a year minimum. Hell, even with all the care I take I still have extremely minor swirls which I have to hunt for, but its just not like swirls on a normal car. Only with the right light and angles can you see them.

If you do paint protect or coat or even put a clear wrap, incorrect washing is still gonna swirl out the paint, no matter what or how you protect the paint. 95% of paint defects are from incorrect washing techniques :p

Btw, you spoke to Hussein a while back about the yellow R at nabooda, i'm that friend who said 184K, which was a mistake, it was 194K after ramadan discount :)

Hey Mukul, just got of the phone with autohaus they are charging 2.5k for the opticoat. Given that I'll be getting the car washed at the gas stations do you think it's worth doing an opticoat or is it better just to get the car detailed every 6 months?

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Hey Mukul, just got of the phone with autohaus they are charging 2.5k for the opticoat. Given that I'll be getting the car washed at the gas stations do you think it's worth doing an opticoat or is it better just to get the car detailed every 6 months?

Definitely not opti coat! Even I haven't thought about coating to be honest as its just not worth it!

I'd rather detail every year,especially seeing tht you will wash at gas stations, it just defeats the purpose of a coating :p

GTi..FTW!

Ready to race!
Hey Mukul. So I did my first wash and turned out to be quite back breaking cos I have a basement parking and had to lug buckets of water around. But was quite a good workout. I clicked pics but on a really old S2 (can you tell I was really trying to save for the gti). Just a few thoughts though..

1. I need something better than just soap and water to clean the tyres. Any suggestions.
2. Holy crap does the windscreen look clean as clean can be after a good wash!
3. Holy crap have I understood the need to literally wipe down the whole car with a microfiber. I missed out part of the rear bumper and well, you can guess the rest.
4. This might seem like a silly question, but how do you clean the 'exterior' parts of the car that are only exposed after opening the doors. You know like the door sill and the door frame, etc.
5. What do you do to keep the interior clean?

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Hey Mukul. So I did my first wash and turned out to be quite back breaking cos I have a basement parking and had to lug buckets of water around. But was quite a good workout. I clicked pics but on a really old S2 (can you tell I was really trying to save for the gti). Just a few thoughts though..

1. I need something better than just soap and water to clean the tyres. Any suggestions.
2. Holy crap does the windscreen look clean as clean can be after a good wash!
3. Holy crap have I understood the need to literally wipe down the whole car with a microfiber. I missed out part of the rear bumper and well, you can guess the rest.
4. This might seem like a silly question, but how do you clean the 'exterior' parts of the car that are only exposed after opening the doors. You know like the door sill and the door frame, etc.
5. What do you do to keep the interior clean?

Hahahah first times the hardest mate! It takes a while to get used to it.

Stretch a bit before you start. When drying or doing anything below waist level, DO NOT bend down. Instead, crouch down and bring yourself to the level you want to work at. This is a life saver tip haha (TM). By this I mean, bend your knees and act like your gonna sit down, no problems at all then :)

1. Alright for wheels and tires, you will need a tire brush and a wheel brush first of all. I have a generic tire brush, but for wheels I have the meguairs spoke brush (AED 69 at ace). Then you can purchase Sonax extreme wheel cleaner from Emarat/Enoc. Its bloody awesome, it changes colors when it reacts with brake dust. Make sure to only work one wheel at a time (and then wash), you dont want it to dry up. I know that was for wheels but what the hell haha.

For tyres its really tough cuz the product I use is from the Meguairs Professional Line, not available in stores. Its called All purpose cleaner. My only other suggestion is to use the soap a little more concentrated and agitate your tires with the tire brush. Once again work one tire at a time. Work maybe a small area like half the tyre at a time, this way the soap is wet and the tire brush will make it nice and foamy for it to work :)

2. Looks even better if you don't use a cloth and use just a glass wiper, no streaks no mess :D or use dedicated glass microfibers. I love me a clean windscreen :D

3. Been there haha.

4.For the door sills and jambs get a cheap microfibre like zwipes which i suggested, but allocate it just for those areas. Make sure to open the hatch and clean those areas as well as it trickles down and creates a mess later.

What I do is, once i've watered the car down and the soap is off, I open all the doors, this way the water that is between the Doors in which goes into the window area (between the metal if it makes sense), that trickles down, but thats just me being OCD. Start with the hatch door and clean it up properly so that no water leaks down and pools under the hatch door.

As I keep all the doors open, majority of the water trickles down/dries up. So I do a final wipe with the cheap microfibre in the end once I've dried the car properly.

5. For the Interior I have Meguiars Interior Detailer which I picked up at Ace Hardware along with Meguiars LEather cleaner and conditioner. I use the interior detailer everywhere even the seats for a light clean. If the seats havent been cleaned before I use Leather Cleaner and Conditioner, you will be bloody surprised how dirty black seats actually are :eek: Get a bunch of cheapo microfibers from ace and allocate them to interior duties. I vaccuum the car once in two weeks too.

****Remember though, Microfibers cannot be cleaned with regular laundry detergent. I seriusly suggest you visit Xtreme Motors in the Al quoz and pick up 3D Towel Kleen. Its 128oz and you only use 2oz per FULL LOAD! Cost me AED 90.****

P.S. If you wash in the basement, do you have access to a hose? Or do you only use buckets. Please tell me you can access a hose :(

Last edited: