GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Gti Gasoline Leak Problem

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
One more thing I forgot to mention. First fill up will be weird. It will take you 10-15 mins to fill up from E. You'll have to give it 30 seconds or so every time it clicks to settle then start up again. Fill it as much as you can. After that first fill up, it will be normal again.

Kevinb

The shop just quoted me $2800. They said the tank, charcoal, filter, suction, everything needs to be replaced. has anyone had luck getting compensation from VW on this?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
yes and I documented pretty much the entire experience in this thread

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
The shop just quoted me $2800. They said the tank, charcoal, filter, suction, everything needs to be replaced. has anyone had luck getting compensation from VW on this?
Dealer wants to replace all the parts in the chain because they don't want you to come back with a warranty issue. I've heard VW has been covering up to 80% of the repair in the cases that they decided to help out, not sure if you'll be successful or not. You're best bet at this point is to buy the parts and take it to a mechanic, and also give them this installation guide and have them replace all the parts minus the fuel tank..... and hope for the best. All the parts should come out to around $600-700 plus labor.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
N80 is $50, suction pump is also $50 and buy a charcoal canister if you want for $500. All can be done in under 1.5 hours.

Kevinb

2 days on the phone with vw and they’ll only cover it if the repairs are done at a dealership. Not happening. For people that claimed in on their insurance how did you report it?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
2 days on the phone with vw and they’ll only cover it if the repairs are done at a dealership. Not happening. For people that claimed in on their insurance how did you report it?
Cover "it" meaning how much? And it's not exactly an issue that's covered by insurance

Kevinb

Update, I just got my car back. New tank, filter, lines, the whole deal. Now my car is loud as hell. Is this something to do with a new tank? Im so confused

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
No that's not normal. What's louder? the exhaust?

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Experienced this issue on my car for the second time now. First time was back in 2015 before the recall was issued - got the entire fuel tank and evap system replaced under warranty. This time, I'm well out of warranty but still opted to go through the dealer on the off chance that its still covered as part of the recall, etc. Helps to have a paper trail and parts/labor guarantee too.

Not much luck to begin with - it was looking like $1000+ for the suction pump, charcoal canister, N80, and labor. But after contacting VW Customer Care, it turns out there is a factory extended warranty on the suction pump - 15 years/150,000 miles. Waiting to hear back from the dealer as they look into this further. Frustrating that I had to do the legwork (and even more frustrating to have this stupid issue for the second time), but fingers crossed it gets covered. I miss my car lol.

All that said - if this happens on your car, be sure to look into the factory extended warranty on the suction pump (and "consequential damage" coverage for the charcoal canister, etc). VW clearly knows this is a weak point.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Waiting to hear back from the dealer as they look into this further. Frustrating that I had to do the legwork (and even more frustrating to have this stupid issue for the second time), but fingers crossed it gets covered. I miss my car lol.

All that said - if this happens on your car, be sure to look into the factory extended warranty on the suction pump (and "consequential damage" coverage for the charcoal canister, etc). VW clearly knows this is a weak point.

UPDATE: Heard back from the dealer, and sure enough - its being covered under this extended factory warranty. Suction pump, charcoal canister, N80, purging the lines, labor, all of it. Canister is backordered though, so still looking like another 10 or so days until I get the car back 🙃. Oh well, beats spending $1000+.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
UPDATE: Heard back from the dealer, and sure enough - its being covered under this extended factory warranty. Suction pump, charcoal canister, N80, purging the lines, labor, all of it. Canister is backordered though, so still looking like another 10 or so days until I get the car back 🙃. Oh well, beats spending $1000+.
FINAL UPDATE: Got a surprise call from the dealer today around 4PM that they sourced the part early and the car was ready. Got out of the office early to pick it up and can confirm all is well once more. They replaced the suction pump, charcoal canister, and N80 valve (as well as purging the lines). All covered under the extended warranty for the suction pump and "consequential damage".

Feels great to have the car back! Lesson to anyone who may be affected: do your homework and see if you qualify for any additional warranties or assistance.