GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Gti Gasoline Leak Problem

Tico63

Ready to race!
Hi everyone,

I’m reaching out in case anyone might have insight on this particular problem. My car has 69,000 miles and has been perfect without any issues until now. At first, I was having issues at the gas pump because the car would not take any gas. It would just start fueling and at like $1.00 the pump would click indicating that’s it’s full, when I barely had any gas in the tank.

I was told that this could potentially be an evap system leak. I took my car to this reputable VW shop where I live and they replaced the gas canister, which had been filled up with gasoline. I drove my car to the gas station and had the same issue. I could not fill the car up with gasoline again.

It got worse. I was driving home and I smell this profound unburnt gasoline smell like at the gas station. I park my car and see gasoline leaking from my car. I slowly drove it home but was losing gas fast. As it stands, the car is safely stationary at home completely empty on gas.

The car will need to be towed to either a shop or the dealer. I don’t even know if going through my insurance is an option.

Has anyone had any similar experience or have any insight on what could possibly be going on?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Insurance isn't going to cover that. Are you under warranty? The whole evap system needs checked.

Tico63

Ready to race!
Do you top up your tank(one or two clicks after it’s full)?

Never. But that’s what the shop assumed happened, so they replaced my gas canister. Still same issue.

Tico63

Ready to race!
Insurance isn't going to cover that. Are you under warranty? The whole evap system needs checked.

I’m not under warranty. Although I was told this could be a potential recall with VWs.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I always run the gas pump at a medium speed and then top off after it clicks off and I've never had a problem on any car. I fill up everyday because I'm a courier. Over 3 million miles driven.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Have you ever done the recall?

Call the dealer and see if it can be done.

If not, take your car to an Indie Repair shop.

Don’t go to the dealer.

nype

Drag Racing Champion

Tico63

Ready to race!
UPDATE:

I wanted to provide an update in case it helps anyone. I went to several shops to resolve this issue and had no luck. I was forced to go to the dealer as a last resort. It turns out the gas tank and the gas canister had to be replaced. This was not a mechanical failure, the dealer is saying that this only happens if you continue to overfill gas after the gas pump clicks. I would never do this but this is the only reason they could determine this issue occurred.

There was no recall for this issue but I have seen recalls for 2015 & 2016 models with EVAP system fails. My car is a 2017 and it's possible this hasn't happened enough for there to be a recall.

The total cost with labor + tax for everything is $2,025. My car insurance will be covering the repairs and I'll only be paying for the $500 deductible.

My advice for anyone if this occurs to them is to contact your car insurance company. Car insurance will not cover mechanical failures, but I explained this was not a mechanical failure so they determined the incident to be "accidental" and that did fall under my insurance coverage.

I never top off my gas let alone continue pumping gas after the gas pump clicks. This occurred with 68k miles. Prior to this, my car has been absolutely bullet proof even being Stage 2 since 10k miles.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
UPDATE:

I wanted to provide an update in case it helps anyone. I went to several shops to resolve this issue and had no luck. I was forced to go to the dealer as a last resort. It turns out the gas tank and the gas canister had to be replaced. This was not a mechanical failure, the dealer is saying that this only happens if you continue to overfill gas after the gas pump clicks. I would never do this but this is the only reason they could determine this issue occurred.

There was no recall for this issue but I have seen recalls for 2015 & 2016 models with EVAP system fails. My car is a 2017 and it's possible this hasn't happened enough for there to be a recall.

The total cost with labor + tax for everything is $2,025. My car insurance will be covering the repairs and I'll only be paying for the $500 deductible.

My advice for anyone if this occurs to them is to contact your car insurance company. Car insurance will not cover mechanical failures, but I explained this was not a mechanical failure so they determined the incident to be "accidental" and that did fall under my insurance coverage.

I never top off my gas let alone continue pumping gas after the gas pump clicks. This occurred with 68k miles. Prior to this, my car has been absolutely bullet proof even being Stage 2 since 10k miles.

When the dealer told you that it's from topping off did you tell him that you don't do that.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
I had this issue on my 2015, very early on. Turned out to be a faulty rollover valve and leak detection pump. In turn, this flooded the EVAP system and caused fuel to purge out of the tank through the passenger rear fender liner.

They replaced my fuel tank and EVAP system/charcoal canister under warranty (had to overnight the tank from Germany at the time), and car has been fine ever since.

I'd reach out to VW corporate on this one to open a case and double check that your car wasn't affected by the bad batch of gas tanks. At the very least, they may compensate you or offer to assist with some of the repair costs. Message me if you need more info or have any questions.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
When the dealer told you that it's from topping off did you tell him that you don't do that.

What would be the point of that? It may be true but a dealer who immediately tries to pin a failure on the user like this is just going to say "oh sure right." and refuse to believe or acknowledge it.

That's why they do shit like that in the first place, no? . It puts the blame on the customer who cannot prove otherwise.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
I'd reach out to VW corporate on this one to open a case and double check that your car wasn't affected by the bad batch of gas tanks. At the very least, they may compensate you or offer to assist with some of the repair costs. Message me if you need more info or have any questions.

X2

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What would be the point of that? It may be true but a dealer who immediately tries to pin a failure on the user like this is just going to say "oh sure right." and refuse to believe or acknowledge it.

That's why they do shit like that in the first place, no? . It puts the blame on the customer who cannot prove otherwise.

I only wanted to know if he told the dealer that.