GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Facelifted v Mk7 cabin noise!

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Anyone else experienced this on the facelifted model. I have mentioned the issue elsewhere on this forum so I am repeating myself a little.

Purchased a face-lifted or Mk7.5 1.5 TSI GT 3 weeks ago and experienced a whining, drumming sound particularly at low speed. LH rear wheel bearing replaced yesterday by dealer but still I can hear this annoying sound that is a reasonably high frequency.

I tested a 1.5 TSI SV yesterday with 2k miles and that had the same sound. I then drove a 1.4TSI that was not a facelifted model and that had none of the irritating sound. I therefore think that this sound may only be audible on the facelifted models.

Now my question is this - has anyone found a difference in cabin noise between the original MK7 and any of the face-lifted models?

GTerIc

My 2015 GTI was rattle free and surprisingly quiet other than the soundaktor. My 2018 GTI has a couple of mystery rattles and creaks. Road noise is also much more noticeable. Makes me miss my 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
My 2015 GTI was rattle free and surprisingly quiet other than the soundaktor. My 2018 GTI has a couple of mystery rattles and creaks. Road noise is also much more noticeable. Makes me miss my 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wonder what VW have done to these "face-lifted models?. I come from my 2014/15 GTi that apart from the rear shock absorber issue (resolved) became so quiet as soon as I fitted Goodyear Eagle F1's all round. Even after 3 weeks of this 1.5 GT I foolishly removed the Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres and put new F1's in place in belif it was tyre noise. What a stupid thing to do as cabin noise in my case has nothing to do with tyres.

Just how can VW produce a car that creates a humming or droning noise that is easily heard at low speeds which in my case is still obvious at 10 mph when slowing from say 30 and above. I now regret not buying a good used MK7 rather than a new revised model.

Where is my GTI - well thanks to the idiot white van man in Portugal who wrote the car off by slamming into the rear while I was parked it is now in a salvage yard.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
The factory DSG tuning is awful and lugs the engine creating a deep drone IMO. Adding a 3" foam pad above the spare tire under the shelf helps. A TCU tune will get the engine out of the lugging range.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Just a thought; have VW reduced the amount and quality of sound deadening material they use on the mk7.5 compared to the mk7 Golf in an effort to cut cost and/or save weight? If they have, it could be that the mk7.5 isn’t any noisier than the mk7, but less sound deadening material would result in more noise being transmitted into the cabin.

Small cost cutting measures have been applied to the Golf during its life - on UK models;
- lidded battery cover no longer fitted
- plastic cover plate over door mirror fixings no longer fitted
- plastic covers on isofix attachment points on rear seat no longer fitted
- deletion of under seat storage drawers

so if less, or poorer quality, sound deadening material is being used, this could be just one more cost cutting measure.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Usually every manufacturer tries to cut corners on mid cycle refresh models. I wouldn’t be surprised if they skimped on insulation somewhere...we know hood pad is gone on most 7.5 cars etc..

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
VW has been systematically removing things off the mk7 since it came out. Possible that VW took out some sound deadening material are changed the interior so that its thinner?

So far my Mk7 runs smooth and is fairly quiet.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Problem solved!

Just exchanged the 1.5TSI EVO within the dealers 30-day exchange period for a 2018 GTI DSG in Tornado red.

I gave it a very thorough test this morning and the cabin sound difference is like night and day. I wasted 4 weeks with this 1.5 TSI but at least I am happy once again.