StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Piggybacking on that.

Bumper plugs look horrible.

Faux euro plates look horrible.

Both just look cheap.

If you have holes in your bumper, just use the center mounted front plate. It looks better than the alternatives.

- If you live in a state that doesn't require front plates, and don't have holes drilled, just leave it bare. Obviously this is the best overall situation to be in.
- If you live in a state that doesn't require front plates, and you have holes already, either get them professionally filled and resprayed, or run a center mount plate.
- If you live in a state that does require front plates, and you don't have holes, find a way to center mount it as close as possible to the original location without drilling if possible. Don't do a side mounted plate.
- If you live in a state that does require front plates, and you have holes already, just run the damn plate where the holes are drilled.
I tried but it doesn't really work with the GLI front end. I guess you can try the bottom but then you are blocking a good chunk of the air flow.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Driving a shitty Corolla rental this week makes me realize that no matter how much I could get for my car, selling it and driving a Corolla beater until the market fixes itself it just flat out isn’t worth it.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Never know. Prices on some interesting beaters have started to come back to semi normal. $3,200 for a CARB legal 2.0 ABA sap MK2 jetta around here has me thinking. I just need a wagon with the dogs, but a manual Mk2 sounds fun to toss around as a beater.

draftgli

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Lol I had just said in another thread a couple days ago, “I’d rather try to do them myself to limit potentially idiot “technicians” touching my car.”

Serious egg on my face now.

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Lol I had just said in another thread a couple days ago, “I’d rather try to do them myself to limit potentially idiot “technicians” touching my car.”

At least you had the good sense to check. If you had them done by someone else, you might've just assumed they were fine, and driven on them way longer.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

Learning moment, probably won't ever do that again.

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
Piggybacking on that.

Bumper plugs look horrible.

Faux euro plates look horrible.

Both just look cheap.

If you have holes in your bumper, just use the center mounted front plate. It looks better than the alternatives.

- If you live in a state that doesn't require front plates, and don't have holes drilled, just leave it bare. Obviously this is the best overall situation to be in.
- If you live in a state that doesn't require front plates, and you have holes already, either get them professionally filled and resprayed, or run a center mount plate.
- If you live in a state that does require front plates, and you don't have holes, find a way to center mount it as close as possible to the original location without drilling if possible. Don't do a side mounted plate.
- If you live in a state that does require front plates, and you have holes already, just run the damn plate where the holes are drilled.

I bought my golf a couple of months ago and got into a little accident where a semi tire blowout smacked my front bumper and broke a few tabs. Originally, the car was from Ohio where they mandate the front license plates... well insurance hooked me up with a replacement bumper...without the front license plate since my state doesn't require it. Just food for thought in case someone makes a claim out there...

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Driving a shitty Corolla rental this week makes me realize that no matter how much I could get for my car, selling it and driving a Corolla beater until the market fixes itself it just flat out isn’t worth it.
I had a Corolla rental for 1-2 months. A good car if you don't like cars. I would recommend one to my Mom/Sister unless I thought they were going to die soon and leave it to me.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
A couple months ago I changed out front rotors and pads and put my winter wheels on.

This morning I wondered out loud, “hmm, I wonder if I put the wheels on correctly - is the tire direction arrow pointing forward on all 4 tires?” Nope, sure didn’t. 2 of them are on wrong. Wow. Herp derp!
Have my wheels numbered. 1 & 2 are driver side. 3 & 4 are passenger. Otherwise I'd f it up

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Side note. Ohio no longer requires front plates.
When did this change/when was this a thing? My GTI came from Ohio and didn't have front plate holes drilled, not sure if I got lucky or if it just didn't get drilled originally. 2019 GTI, bought from a dealer in Ohio in late 2020.