GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Those things are all over North Florida.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
I haven’t yet serviced my VAQ Differential at 66K miles.

Dents27

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Autobahn GTI
I'm so scared of voiding warranty and it being on a lease (plans to buy out after), that I'm afraid to pull the trigger on any sort of mod outside of cosmetic stickers/wheels.

That being said, I'm going to be taking my changes with the LED dynamic turn signal lights as my first "mod" to get my feet wet before going to the tune shop for the performance mods.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I'm so scared of voiding warranty and it being on a lease (plans to buy out after), that I'm afraid to pull the trigger on any sort of mod outside of cosmetic stickers/wheels.

That being said, I'm going to be taking my changes with the LED dynamic turn signal lights as my first "mod" to get my feet wet before going to the tune shop for the performance mods.
Don't mod it if you leased it.

Dents27

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Autobahn GTI
Don't mod it if you leased it.

I plan to buy it out, but probably won't do the performance mods for a bit.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If you explode the engine on your leased vehicle you're in for an absolute nightmare.

Crashing a leased car is serious bad news also.

If you don't have anything to give back at the end you're gonna need to come up with the cash instead.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you explode the engine on your leased vehicle you're in for an absolute nightmare.

Crashing a leased car is serious bad news also.

If you don't have anything to give back at the end you're gonna need to come up with the cash instead.
This is why if your state doesn't require it, you should always get gap insurance on a lease. At least in the case of an accident, doubt it will do much in the case of a blown motor.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Leasing is great if you plan on getting something new every 3years. But of course also depends on what kind of deal you can get.
I was leasing a new '15 Mazda6 Touring, paid $500 down and $350/month which I was happy with. Although I wouldn't have done it if they wanted $2k+ down like most lease offers do

20151021_123510.jpg

Last edited:

Dents27

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Autobahn GTI
I mainly leased since this is my second car and didn't have the life stability in terms of what I was doing, family, etc. Two years on, I have a much clearer picture of my life and will be transitioning to financing whenever I can. Whether that be when the lease comes up or earlier if possible.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
paying the bank monthly to drive the banks car, at the end you return the banks car back to them and restart the process of renting another one of their cars
Financing: Higher down payment, higher monthly payment, interest/apr, sales tax, massive depreciation, still "paying the bank monthly to drive the banks car" until the final payment. Plus any repairs made after the warranty ends

Again, it depends on people's individual situation and the deals available to them. Obviously for someone like Jim who drives 100k miles a year a lease would never make sense for him

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you don't drive a lot of miles, you get a new car every three years, you pick cars with good residuals, don't mod your car and catch a good subsidized factory lease deal, leasing can be a really good deal.

If you drive a lot of miles, mod, keep cars longterm, or are buying a car with poor residual value, probably not a great idea.

Anyway, mods I wouldn't think twice about on a leased car? Tires/wheels and rear sway bar. Keep the originals, put back to stock when turn car in.

I put my son in a leased Mazda 3 when he was in college. $200 month, and he put 13,000 miles in 3 years, so I ended up buying the car from Mazda for the agreed residual and sold it for a profit.