GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Can I safely run on 91 vs 93?
Just hit up Uni and ask them - you can DM Cos or John here or on FB. I have to believe others run their files where you can only get 91.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Been debating buying one, but my inner 14yo is currently enjoying the psssh psssh from removing the snow diverter.
I got mine for free and I'm using the stock DV. You'll get much more psssh with the spacer and it doesn't affect anything else.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Lets see Digg's favorite right here: bought a lot of CTS stuff when I was new to support the brand because I liked their logo. (Still using most of it). Also frequently use ECS tuning as its only 1 state away and arrives to my house faster.

Ran a spicy custom jb4 tune while "tuning" almost went to lean heaven. Almost nuked 3rd having fun with some jetta (apparently after 7k the car goes slower)

almost everything that I have installed on my car has been a total pita and I have messed something up (broken d clip, scratched paint, drilling the crash bar for fmic FUN).

Oh yeah... never did an oil change with removing the plug always used extractor... 35k miles

Edit: I can't spell

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
I work in a factory so if I listen to music in the car I basically can't hear the engine/exhaust at all without the buzz box. I never said it sounded good😜

#soundaktorapologist
I like the Soundaktor! Won't get on it till 180° oil temp., won't park it until 200° plus. Even if I was just going around the corner. Got an ODBII 2 years ago plugged in to see it worked haven't used it since, in fact just found it again!

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
I like the Soundaktor! Won't get on it till 180° oil temp., won't park it until 200° plus. Even if I was just going around the corner. Got an ODBII 2 years ago plugged in to see it worked haven't used it since, in fact just found it again!
Also my wife had it up to 130mph, I've only hit 115!

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Lets see Digg's favorite right here: bought a lot of CTS stuff when I was new to support the brand because I liked their logo. (Still using most of it). Also frequently use ECS tuning as its only 1 state away and arrives to my house faster.

Ran a spicy custom jb4 tune while "tuning" almost went to lean heaven. Almost nuked 3rd having fun with some jetta (apparently after 7k the car goes slower)

almost everything that I have installed on my car has been a total pita and I have messed something up (broken d clip, scratched paint, drilling the crash bar for fmic FUN).

Oh yeah... never did an oil change with removing the plug always used extractor... 35k miles

Edit: I can't spell
Aaaay, yeah I'm actually pretty pleased with my CTS catback and 034 insuction kit. TMD is CTS as well. The exhaust is nice because it adds some good sound when under load but doesn't sound nearly as loud as most other catback solutions I've encountered, and there's no drone -- fits the bill for me just fine. I figure the TMD isn't a complicated part, and it seems to fit just fine, so that's a thing too.

After seeing some media about the CTS TIP failing, I'm glad I didn't go that route -- and the silicone hose from 034 has been fine, definitely glad I didn't go for one of the all-metal solutions.

Oh, and ebay intercooler required minimal modification, fitment is close but it fits my '19 without issue. Pleased there too.

I understand why everybody's particular though, these are really nice cars and it's smart to want to take care of them. I'm trying my best to take care of it, where the other cars get oil changes when I feel like it, and rarely get to warm up before getting driven hard.

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Confession. I bought my GTI brand new, and I often wish I had bought a manual.
Another confession. The dealer I bought my car from offered to buy it back for $3000 less than I bought it for at the end of 2018, and I think I am going to take them up on that offer.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Aaaay, yeah I'm actually pretty pleased with my CTS catback and 034 insuction kit. TMD is CTS as well. The exhaust is nice because it adds some good sound when under load but doesn't sound nearly as loud as most other catback solutions I've encountered, and there's no drone -- fits the bill for me just fine. I figure the TMD isn't a complicated part, and it seems to fit just fine, so that's a thing too.

After seeing some media about the CTS TIP failing, I'm glad I didn't go that route -- and the silicone hose from 034 has been fine, definitely glad I didn't go for one of the all-metal solutions.

Oh, and ebay intercooler required minimal modification, fitment is close but it fits my '19 without issue. Pleased there too.

I understand why everybody's particular though, these are really nice cars and it's smart to want to take care of them. I'm trying my best to take care of it, where the other cars get oil changes when I feel like it, and rarely get to warm up before getting driven hard.
My tip never had an issue. I've seen the threads of some bent ones but not sure how that happened. wouldn't have to have been hit pretty hard or something

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I'm rocking a TIP I've never even heard anybody else mention before. It was cheap af with the pipe and hose. I think it was just a little over $100 for both parts during a black friday sale, but I haven't had any issues because of them.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Another confession. The dealer I bought my car from offered to buy it back for $3000 less than I bought it for at the end of 2018, and I think I am going to take them up on that offer.

Might as well get rid of it now while it's still worth a lot if you have regrets and think you might not like it in the future.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
finally one of the DSG owners says what they're all thinking 😁

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3

See, I keep thinking I should've bought a DSG, because more power for less money. But 14-year-old me (again, damn that guy!) really wanted a mk4 GTI in a stick, and this is all to fulfill that teenage fantasy. It's more money for sure, but I'm fine with the stick being slower in a straight line out of the box. It's still a ton of fun, and honestly I think it's hard to go wrong either way. It's like trying to say which steakhouse is better, while the rest of the world is eating at McD's.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
- Cobb is my favorite and best all around I think-- but no end user tuning which is a huge bummer
- HP tuners has the best tuner/editor interface by far, but logging is meh
- Ecutek phone logging is pretty slick, but nothing to really make it stand apart from Cobb, other than it's only option for some WM cars
- Opensource (Tactrix, Macchina P1) has by far the best logging but using free software to tune/edit is a downside, not nearly as polished as something like HPT

Primarily using a combo of opensource patches (flex fuel, logging) and for logging, but HP tuners for tune making. Got em all, might as well take advantage of the various pros/cons lol.
Buddy tunes his C8Z on HPT. I want to like the platform. Care to share more detail? He tuned my WRX on old Cobb ATR when we could adjust OTS tunes. Fun times lol.