GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
I have heard about aircare mode, and also seen the clean air button on climatronic panels from places outside of NAR. I don't believe any NAR MK7s even got AirCare mode.
AFAIR, AirCare mode can be turned on/off in A/C menu in MIB (SETUP on Climatronic, then SETTINGS on MIB and should be around there). And it's only a program function in climatronic, that doesn't require extra stuff, so I should be, and if not, with coding/parametrization should be possible to unlock it

From the factory, we don't even have the pre-filter under the rain tray.
This is not difficult or expensive to add... https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cabin-filter-new-pre-filter-option.338432/

ROW spec cars (Any MQB AFAIK) don't have the pre-filter too. On all MQB cars i see the same 5Q0 815 479 tray in ETKA. The retrofit kits from china are they invention (For MQB at least, I have one on my A3 and the fitment was somewhat poor, as holes for nuts were off by quite a bit). On MLB cars, some (Probably only china spec ones) have OEM tray for pre-filter, you can buy OE and OEM (mann,bosch,valeo,etc.) filter for this tray. So this is OE genuine stuff

China spec A6 C7 / A7 C7: 4GD 819 343 (superseded by 4G8 819 343). Pre-filter tray includes 4GD 819 429 filter
A8 D4 pre-fitler tray: 4H1 819 343 A / Pre-filter: 4H1 819 429 A
China spec A4 B8: pre-filter tray: 8KD 819 441 A (This one should fit to A5, Q5 and Macan done on the same platform)

If you mount this pre-filter in A6,A7,A8 (Not sure about A4 B8), coding/adaptation in Climatronic can be done so the Climatronic know about extra restriction(second filter) to maitain the same airflow as before. Cars with this pre-filter have B1P PR number
- Note that the Air Quality/Humidity sensor sits right above the pre-filter that NAR cars do not have. It clips into plastic body that holds that filter. I don't recall if the mesh there from the factory has a place to hold the sensor.

OEM 5Q0 815 479 tray have the same hole around the same place as china's MQB pre-filter

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Jachas Gotcha. I haven't been in a car with factory climatronic to even mess around with it. That makes sense regarding the Chinese market cars. Those are the panels that have the clean air button.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
OEM 5Q0 815 479 tray have the same hole around the same place as china's MQB pre-filter
Thank you for the information above however, I'm a little bit confused on this last statement as it sounds like the OEM 5Q0815479 is just the normal MQB macro mesh insert and does not support the pre filter. Do any of those MLB chassis pre filters fit into the MQB chassis by chance or are we essentially stuck with the poorly fitting retrofit kit? Apologies if this has been answer.

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
it sounds like the OEM 5Q0815479 is just the normal MQB macro mesh insert and does not support the pre filter
It sounds like that because it is. Regular, marcro mesh like every MQB car in NAR and ROW/EU gets

Do any of those MLB chassis pre filters fit into the MQB chassis by chance
Most likely not (different sizes of holes in chassis for cabin air inlet

or are we essentially stuck with the poorly fitting retrofit kit?
Most likely yes

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
It sounds like that because it is. Regular, marcro mesh like every MQB car in NAR and ROW/EU gets

Most likely not (different sizes of holes in chassis for cabin air inlet

Most likely yes
Dang, I guess I'll order the poorly fitting retrofit one then, lol.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Dang, I guess I'll order the poorly fitting retrofit one then, lol.
I don't remember thinking anything was weird about the fitment. It's AliExpress so it could depend on the seller though they all seem to be selling thing, plus understandably lax QC on something like this. I don't have any pictures but the pictures posted some others don't show anything I would call a concern...

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...ng-pkg-the-journey-begins.318262/post-6603516

The mounting hole for air quality/humidity sensor is a little big in the linked post. Mine fit fine, but I was also using a new sensor mount. I will have to check it next time I pull the rain tray.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Let the rambling continue... I reinstalled my manual climate controls today after more thought.
  • In auto mode the motor/door that directs airflow is constantly hunting.
    • I don't know the duty cycle for that mechanism but I don't like the idea of it going constantly.
    • Ignoring that, it's not efficient to have air going where I don't want it, which means I end up wanting the fan speed to be higher.
  • I can get the air going right where I want by manually stepping through the options until it's going where I want.
    • Sometimes this seems to work, even though the screen/panel selection might not actually match the air source.
    • Sometimes it doesn't and I still notice hunting, which again means the motor/door is constantly going.
  • I never physically checked or looked at real time values for the recirc door but I assume I had the same issue as those before me.
    • In my last exhausting post I mentioned the 0% and 100% wiring seemed backwards, I still believe this to be the case.
    • Apologies for not testing it... even if it was/is backwards I was going back to my manual HVAC controls.
  • Max defrost doesn't really work because of the above issues.

1712007953622.png

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Let the rambling continue... I reinstalled my manual climate controls today after more thought.
  • In auto mode the motor/door that directs airflow is constantly hunting.
    • I don't know the duty cycle for that mechanism but I don't like the idea of it going constantly.
    • Ignoring that, it's not efficient to have air going where I don't want it, which means I end up wanting the fan speed to be higher.
  • I can get the air going right where I want by manually stepping through the options until it's going where I want.
    • Sometimes this seems to work, even though the screen/panel selection might not actually match the air source.
    • Sometimes it doesn't and I still notice hunting, which again means the motor/door is constantly going.
  • I never physically checked or looked at real time values for the recirc door but I assume I had the same issue as those before me.
    • In my last exhausting post I mentioned the 0% and 100% wiring seemed backwards, I still believe this to be the case.
    • Apologies for not testing it... even if it was/is backwards I was going back to my manual HVAC controls.
  • Max defrost doesn't really work because of the above issues.

View attachment 301834
What's going on? How many more retrofits will be undone? First, I take out the charger, now you're undoing the sem-climatronic setup. Is this condition contagious?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Kushdaiin and @bobloblawGTI I didn't even think about it being April 1st. I can assure you nothing else is being undone. But I can also assure you the manual HVAC is back in. Right now there is partially routed coiled up wiring in the passenger footwell, behind the driver seat and in the hatch. That would be areaview, 60hz inverter, trailer module and tpms retrofits in progress, plus some odds and ends for KESSY.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
@Kushdaiin and @bobloblawGTI I didn't even think about it being April 1st. I can assure you nothing else is being undone. But I can also assure you the manual HVAC is back in. Right now there is partially routed coiled up wiring in the passenger footwell, behind the driver seat and in the hatch. That would be areaview, 60hz inverter, trailer module and tpms retrofits in progress, plus some odds and ends for KESSY.
What you haven't addressed here is the current status of the full climatronic retrofit. :ROFLMAO:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
What you haven't addressed here is the current status of the full climatronic retrofit. :ROFLMAO:
I would never leave you guys out to to dry like that...

Part number for dual zone without Aux Heater, for @bobloblawGTI I guess... 5Q1820353J... only $230 new from the dealer o_O
- I've seen these on eBay for under $150 but always with broken tabs... would just buy it new.
Part number for dual zone with Aux Heater, which my TDI has... 5Q1820353H... only $350 new from the dealer
- Probably still good deal considering it comes with the Aux heater
- These pop up on eBay from overseas so shipping makes the dealer a better choice, not many cars in the states came with Aux heater I guess

I suppose I don't know if the above parts come with all the actuator doors/motors.
- I would likely order the above new and if doesn't come with them I would order a used one eBay and switch them over
- If you ordered the doors/actuators separately (new) you would easily add another $1200 to the cost.

Fresh air duct has a different part number between Manual and Climatronic... Climatronic duct... 5WB898304... about $200 from dealer

Harness for climatronic... 5Q1971566C... Can be found under $50 eBay, or $150ish from the dealer

You'll need 3 temp sensors, and a sun sensor... I would just get them from Ali... (although my sun sensor may have come from dealer)

Air Quality Sensor 5Q0907643C... wherever you want, from $30-ish used to $100 new
or Air Quality/Humidity Sensor 4H0907658D... wherever you want, from $65-ish used to $200 new

As far as overall status... I've got a 2 year old running things so... on hold, haha.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
@Cuzoe respect for being able to get car stuff done and also be a parent, I don’t even have kids and my rate is like 0.5 retrofits/year 💀
Agreed. Now that I've got a 6 yo and a 14 month old, I usually have to take a day or two of vacation to even attempt a relatively significant retrofit. That being said, I get 3-5 minor retrofits in per year. Thanks @Cuzoe for addressing that future retrofit 😂 . That aux heater has me curious as an alternate to the gas heater.