GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

Belthasar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 4Mo 6MT
Excellent work, @Goodbar . You posted your success before I could gather data.

Nonetheless, I fired up VCDS and loaded up the values illustrated in your photo. Mine were 100% identical to yours. Further, running the recirc test procedure revealed that, in fact, the recirc flap was not opening/closing all the way - both the measuring values confirmed this, and the clear sound and airflow feel difference as the test procedure opened and closed the flap. So, to retract my statement before, the retrofit most definitely affects recirc function, at least to the point of requiring coding attention per Goodbar's work.

Here's my problem: I loaded up the long coder and my screen for byte 6 is different than yours. Here's what I have:

VCDS_HVAC_LC.jpg

I do not have bit 3 as a selectable option like you do, but i followed your lead and changed bit 3 (fourth bit from the right) to 1, which changed the hex to 08 as it did in your screen shot. I saved the new long code, but it had no effect whatsoever on the recirc function. The values are still the same as they were before, and manually running the recirc test procedure illustrates that the flap doors can move much further.

Any suggestions? Why would my screen have much less information on what each bit does than yours? Is that related to my climatronic unit's version being BD?

I'm also interested in the information on your screen regarding bit 2 (Sunlight photo sensor, 0=installed, 1=via CAN). What does "via CAN" mean in this context and how does that differ from "installed" status? Is this something that retrofits that include the sensor should address?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Each of you has a different panel part number installed, and by extension different software. That's going to be the reason you have different options.

As for the sunlight sensor, and this based on general knowledge of the platform, not specifically about this module... I would suspect that "installed" means directly connected to HVAC module (as per the Golf schematic). And that "via CAN" means there are vehicles out there with a sunlight sensor, possibly used for something else, but whose data is available for use by the HVAC module over the bus.

Belthasar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 4Mo 6MT
Each of you has a different panel part number installed, and by extension different software. That's going to be the reason you have different options.

As for the sunlight sensor, and this based on general knowledge of the platform, not specifically about this module... I would suspect that "installed" means directly connected to HVAC module (as per the Golf schematic). And that "via CAN" means there are vehicles out there with a sunlight sensor, possibly used for something else, but whose data is available for use by the HVAC module over the bus.

That's a headache that's about to begin. So this isn't necessarily just a revision thing, it's also a 5G0 vs 5GM thing? I don't even know where to begin to try to find an analogous long coding change to @Goodbar's climatronic unit.

Your conjecture regarding the sunlight sensor setting is a good one.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You reported hardware number of a module, and also it's options, if you flash different software. I don't know that a matrix of which parts are actually the same hardware exists though. So assuming you could get a hold of the same software there's zero guarantees flashing over will work (or worse, that it won't brick your unit).

I was dumb enough to flash software on my AID that I did not know would work 🫣. So you know I would flash this, haha.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Thanks for confirming. Can you post your module info and coding, please? I'm having weird behavior where the fresh setting is only 32% open. BUT, if I run the output test, the door cycles through the full range?!

View attachment 288655
View attachment 288656

Module info:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 08: Auto HVAC (J255) Labels:| 5G0-907-044.clb
Part No SW: 5GM 907 044 A HW: 5GM 907 044 A
Component: Climatronic H03 1001
Revision: 00001K01
Coding: 0202000420000001000400400111140A

My apologies for not getting back to you, for whatever reason I never get notifications from the forum on my emails, so I have to check back manually.

I have to admit that I remember looking into this myself and might have changed the bit that you changed in your last message but I fail to recall exactly at the minute so if I did I apologise profusely to all who have done this mod.

Next time I have the car plugged in I'll get the coding and information for you.

Regards, Dave.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi

It's likely that the windscreen Rain sensor has a photosensor built in as it has 4 or 5 optical sensors all facing skyward. That's on LINbus but that information will be available over CAN via the BCM/convenience module.

Belthasar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 4Mo 6MT
My apologies for not getting back to you, for whatever reason I never get notifications from the forum on my emails, so I have to check back manually.

I have to admit that I remember looking into this myself and might have changed the bit that you changed in your last message but I fail to recall exactly at the minute so if I did I apologise profusely to all who have done this mod.

Next time I have the car plugged in I'll get the coding and information for you.

Regards, Dave.

I would love to take a peek at your coding info. At a quick glance at your earlier posts, it seems like you bought 5G0907044BD? That's the one I got, too. It looks like Goodbar's unit is 5GM907044A?

It's likely that the windscreen Rain sensor has a photosensor built in as it has 4 or 5 optical sensors all facing skyward. That's on LINbus but that information will be available over CAN via the BCM/convenience module.

This seems plausible. Good thinking, as always.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It's likely that the windscreen Rain sensor has a photosensor built in as it has 4 or 5 optical sensors all facing skyward. That's on LIN bus but that information will be available over CAN via the BCM/convenience module.
That makes sense, and would save VW some money in cars that have the window sensor already. I suppose that for all we know the panels with the "via CAN" option may get installed in vehicles that don't even have a directly connected sunlight sensor available.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Finally going to do this thing, hoping to be done by the end of the week... the install list, if you will
  • Touch Panel - 5NA907044AP 5NA907044AJ (with heated seats, without the "clean air" button that Asian market OEM units have)
  • Trim Panel for touch panel, from AliExpress
  • Two (2) climatronic retrofit kits from AliExpress, going to install all 3 (two vent, one foot) temp sensors.
    • As for buying two kits... was just easier/cheaper than sourcing an extra temp sensor and connector/pins... plus you're left with extra wire/pins/connectors, which you can't have enough of if retrofits are your thing.
    • I am fully aware the car lacks actual dual zone, but I want to keep reported faults to a minimum for now... and I've priced the parts needed to do the full retrofit. Surprisingly not that expensive, but will require removal of the dash which I haven't the time or desire to do anytime soon. Call the extra sensor installs future proofing, if you like.
    • There's a non-zero chance all of this wiring gets replaced with the OEM climatronic harness, which wildly enough was only $40 from the dealer (I bought it already just in case the price goes up)
  • Sunlight Sensor - 5G0907451C (from the dealer)
  • Sunlight Sensor Connector - 8E0971833A (bought a pigtail on eBay)
  • Air Quality/Humidity Sensor - 4H0907658D (Could also get Air Quality Sensor without humidity sensor - 5Q0907643C)
    • This will switch to recirculate automatically in poor air, not sure exactly how the humidity sensor is used but it can't hurt.
  • Air Quality/Humidity Sensor Connector - 4B0972883A (bought a pigtail on eBay)
  • Air Quality/Humidity Sensor Clip - 7L0907323(couple bucks from the dealer, needed to attach either sensor type)
    • This is installed at the air intake grill in the rain tray, optionally if you don't have a pre-filter there already here's a forum link...
    • https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...ng-pkg-the-journey-begins.318262/post-6603516
    • On AliExpress just search "golf7 external air filter" and choose a vendor, not going to post a link since they change all the time
    • Note, from factory there is just a plastic grill in this location, does not hold a filter, but spot place for air quality sensor is still there

Wiring diagrams have been posted in this thread earlier (by others and myself) but I'll post them again, along with pictures, if I manage to take any decent ones). I will also post auto-scan and ad-map of my current unit and the new unit after install.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Finally going to do this thing, hoping to be done by the end of the week... the install list, if you will
  • Touch Panel - 5NA907044AP (with heated seats, without the "clean air" button that Asian market OEM units have)
  • Trim Panel for touch panel, from AliExpress
  • Two (2) climatronic retrofit kits from AliExpress, going to install all 3 (two vent, one foot) temp sensors.
    • As for buying two kits... was just easier/cheaper than sourcing an extra temp sensor and connector/pins... plus you're left with extra wire/pins/connectors, which you can't have enough of if retrofits are your thing.
    • I am fully aware the car lacks actual dual zone, but I want to keep reported faults to a minimum for now... and I've priced the parts needed to do the full retrofit. Surprisingly not that expensive, but will require removal of the dash which I haven't the time or desire to do anytime soon. Call the extra sensor installs future proofing, if you like.
    • There's a non-zero chance all of this wiring gets replaced with the OEM climatronic harness, which wildly enough was only $40 from the dealer (I bought it already just in case the price goes up)
  • Sunlight Sensor - 5G0907451C (from the dealer)
  • Sunlight Sensor Connector - 8E0971833A (bought a pigtail on eBay)
  • Air Quality/Humidity Sensor - 4H0907658D (Could also get Air Quality Sensor without humidity sensor - 5Q0907643C)
    • This will switch to recirculate automatically in poor air, not sure exactly how the humidity sensor is used but it can't hurt.
  • Air Quality/Humidity Sensor Connector - 4B0972883A (bought a pigtail on eBay)
  • Air Quality/Humidity Sensor Clip - 7L0907323(couple bucks from the dealer, needed to attach either sensor type)
    • This is installed at the air intake grill in the rain tray, optionally if you don't have a pre-filter there already here's a forum link...
    • https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...ng-pkg-the-journey-begins.318262/post-6603516
    • On AliExpress just search "golf7 external air filter" and choose a vendor, not going to post a link since they change all the time
    • Note, from factory there is just a plastic grill in this location, does not hold a filter, but spot place for air quality sensor is still there

Wiring diagrams have been posted in this thread earlier (by others and myself) but I'll post them again, along with pictures, if I manage to take any decent ones). I will also post auto-scan and ad-map of my current unit and the new unit after install.

Not going to use the Zhong Zhong LED climatronic panel for the install? 🤣

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
PM your address, I'll send it to you and you can give it a try, your review might come out before mine 😂. I expect all of its functions will work better in a car that actually has climatronic.

I'll take you up on that 🤣

Belthasar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 4Mo 6MT
Oooo I'm interested to read how this goes for you, @Cuzoe. I'm particularly interested in how the air quality sensor will function.

I have not been able to successfully fix the recirc flap problem. I don't see anything naturally-labeled for it in long coding, nor do any of the adaptations seem to point to a change analogous to the "Back pressure and recirc kinematics" change that @Goodbar was able to make on his unit.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
No pictures of anything that you guys haven't seen before. The hole for both vent sensors waa existing, as expected. Neither of mine had the little rubber plug that I think someone (s) here mentioned. Not a big deal and no longer needed. Drilled the spot in the foot duct and installed the 90°sensor there. Sun sensor installed, and all of that stuff wired up.

Tomorrow on my lunch break I'll get the air quality sensor installed. Then I'll get VCDS going to see what's what, as they say. Pressing menu does not being up the fancy screen at this point. I've got that disabled in 5F adaptations.

Short drive home with it... looks great, seems quite easy to use. Air was blowing cool but not cold, heated seats worked. Nothing concerning at this point.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'll get ad-maps, pictures of long coding (with experimental) and some other information posted up later today or this evening. One fault I noticed with my 5NA 907 044 AJ touch panel is for the rear seat control. Of course, my car does not have rear seat hvac control (or even dual zone for that matter). So this is a non-issue at this point. But at some point if I do replace the whole dash unit for a complete climatronic retrofit I'm thinking I'll be stuck with this fault.

I don't see anything in coding or adaptations to say a rear control panel is/is not installed. Anyone else do the touch panel and have this fault?
The other option is to find a touch panel from a (not Tiguan, I guess) that would not have a rear panel. Easy solution, but more money throw away 🤦‍♂️.

Edit: After some googling around on non-English forums there is a bit for rear controls installed, at least on the Chinese market touch panels. VCDS does not define that bit even with experimental coding. Easy and simple thing first is just going to be to change that bit and see if it's the same on my panel. If not I'll have to fire up ODIS (and maybe choose a Tiguan as the project type) and see if it labels the proper bit.

Edit 2: I'm just an idiot, it's in the drop down.

I couldn't get the compressor to run into work in VCDS. Holding rear window defrost in the AC button didn't give me any response but seems to have kind of worked. I assumed it wasn't working so I drove away for lunch then I was coming out of the parking lot AC button lit up and it got cold. Have a chance to reconnect VCDS to check the fault cleared.

All of the manual modes work as expected. But an auto mode. It's like it can't figure out where to blow air so it keeps cycling high, mid, feet. Blower speed is consistent and it seems to be maintaining temp fine though.

Last edited: