GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
So I was able to correct the AC issue. Not fully sure how, but it at least turns on.

The original issue, and what sent me down this whole rabbit hole, is I'm having an issue of air not being directed where expected. Air is only being sent to defrost\defog the windshield if that is the only one chosen. If I choose high\low, it only sends air to the footwell. It's the same as if I have only the low chosen. Here's a picture explaining it (that I sent to the seller on AliExpress).

1609011837694.png

I would expect that middle setting, where it's both high\low chosen to function similar to the 10 o'clock position of the regular dial, where it splits air between the footwell and windshield.

1609011935487.png

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So I was able to correct the AC issue. Not fully sure how, but it at least turns on.

The original issue, and what sent me down this whole rabbit hole, is I'm having an issue of air not being directed where expected. Air is only being sent to defrost\defog the windshield if that is the only one chosen. If I choose high\low, it only sends air to the footwell. It's the same as if I have only the low chosen. Here's a picture explaining it (that I sent to the seller on AliExpress).

View attachment 197444

I would expect that middle setting, where it's both high\low chosen to function similar to the 10 o'clock position of the regular dial, where it splits air between the footwell and windshield.

View attachment 197445
That's a normal problem with this retrofit.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
That's a normal problem with this retrofit.

Ah damn. Do you know if there's a particular reason why? I assume that'd be the same going from manual control to climatronic with the normal 3 dial climatronic unit?

Thanks again for your help.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Ah damn. Do you know if there's a particular reason why? I assume that'd be the same going from manual control to climatronic with the normal 3 dial climatronic unit?

Thanks again for your help.
Presumably because it's missing a bunch of sensors and flap motors, so it defaults to some sort of "safe mode", so to speak.

It's the same with the normal Climatronic panel.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Presumably because it's missing a bunch of sensors and flap motors, so it defaults to some sort of "safe mode", so to speak.

It's the same with the normal Climatronic panel.

Balls.

I'll have to leave it on auto for a bit and see how it does. I hate warm air being blasted in my face, so I would usually leave it on the footwell\windshield split. Not sure how much I'll end up liking the retrofit without that option.

Leozyo

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTI

From what i understand is, you cant run both windshield and footwel blower right? So you either run windshield or footwel.

Dont you end up switching between modes all the time? Like for example to defog windshield and your icecold feet in the winter haha

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
From what i understand is, you cant run both windshield and footwel blower right? So you either run windshield or footwel.

Dont you end up switching between modes all the time? Like for example to defog windshield and your icecold feet in the winter haha
I only ever really use the windscreen vent

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Was that fact mentioned or documented elsewhere in this thread and I just glosses over it? Can't say it would have dissuaded me from doing the retrofit, but loosing a heating mode is something that I assume many people would want to know up front.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Was that fact mentioned or documented elsewhere in this thread and I just glosses over it? Can't say it would have dissuaded me from doing the retrofit, but loosing a heating mode is something that I assume many people would want to know up front.
Don't think so.

There's a lot of unknowns with this retrofit; you've got to expect weird behaviour with 5-10 fault codes sitting there.

Leozyo

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTI
I feel like this is something that should be able to be fixed/coded. I mean if it worked for the manual panel, the climatronic should be able to get this mode working aswel. The flaps are there so its not like its missing some hardware. It's pure softwarematic problem.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I feel like this is something that should be able to be fixed/coded. I mean if it worked for the manual panel, the climatronic should be able to get this mode working aswel. The flaps are there so its not like its missing some hardware. It's pure softwarematic problem.
The flaps aren't there though as far as the unit is concerned.. it's missing 5 or so flaps/sensors.

It's important to note that this retrofit has never been labelled as being in perfect working order. There's lots of things that don't work properly as a result of tricking the system, but as far as I'm concerned it's a fair trade off for automatic temperature regulation.