GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5R Burning Oil/Coolant Smell

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Hey All,

8,500 miles on the R, Stage 2, and over the last 500-800 miles from last oil change i've had to put in almost quart of oil in, half quart each time.

Also since it's gotten a little colder, and mostly on short trips, the car smells of coolant, nearer to the turbo side than the thermostat side.

OEM PCV issue? set it on fire and run?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oil leak on the ground where you park? Smoke out of the exhaust when you drive? When you check the oil what does it look like on the dipstick? What does the coolant look like in the reservoir?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Oil leak on the ground where you park? Smoke out of the exhaust when you drive? When you check the oil what does it look like on the dipstick? What does the coolant look like in the reservoir?
smoke on high throttle application..which I thought was normal operating procedure for turbos...

No oil leak that I can see and coolant is a nice pink

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I'm on a stage 2, and the car does NOT smoke under even the hardest driving, unless it's a longer hard right hand turn in Autocross or the track. Smoke is not normal for turbo cars. I can hammer down on a two day race event, and probably not even need to put 1/10th a quart of oil in the car. Sounds like something isn't quite right, but I'm not knowledgeable enough there to throw ideas out.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Check your plugs and look for oil, could be a really bad cam seal. Where does the smoke come out of?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
smoke on high throttle application..which I thought was normal operating procedure for turbos...

No oil leak that I can see and coolant is a nice pink
Doesn't sound like a head gasket problem. But that's excessive oil use so suddenly. You said smells of coolant also. I would just have someone competent check it out now.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Did a compression test, and the numbers were between 180 and 185, so seems ok from that standpoint.
I don't see any oil leaks. I also changed oil and swapped brands. I was using the LiquiMoly Top Tec 4200 5W-30, and swapped to the VW 504/507 0W-30 oil.

Let's see what happens.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Have you checked for leaks around the turbo and thermostat housing? Did you change the PCV valve?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Have you checked for leaks around the turbo and thermostat housing? Did you change the PCV valve?
i have checked for leaks around the thermostat housing and nothing. Nothing visual around the turbo, at least I can see. I can smell coolant though. Never changed PCV valve on this car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Weird problem. Great engine compression but using oil and no signs of coming out of the exhaust. Hate to state the obvious but that oil has to be going somewhere. Any other symptoms?