GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Rear Valance Removal

Gauseb

Car(s)
MK7 VW Golf TSI 1.8T
Hey everyone,

I'm currently trying to make up my mind on GTI swapping the exhaust of my 2018 Golf TSI Facelift and I can't find any information on properly removing the rear valance on the TSI so I can swap in the GTI dual exhaust rear valance. I've seen videos of the original MK7 being done but none on the Facelift.

I've checked underneath the car and I see some Torx screws but I'm not really sure which ones should be removed solely to remove the valance. Is my best bet to remove the entire rear bumper and work from there or should it be rather simple to remove it while still attached to the rest of the car?

Cheers to anyone who can provide answers.

Thanks

Scanner

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI 1.8
Hey, I have a 2018 Facelift TSI Unitronic stage 2 IS20 and I want to do the same upgrade. Did you complete yours? Were you able to replace your valance? And did you buy it from the dealer or another source? I'm also from Canada, ON, Toronto Area. Thanks.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
No need to remove the rear bumper. There's 2 bolts you have to remove from the inside of each edge closer to the fender liner, and 4 plastic clips held in with plastic screw. The GTI valance is pretty cheap from the dealer.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I don't have a video for you, but basically you need to do this:

Remove bottom 2 fender liner t25 screws on each side (one on the bottom and one in the wheel well)

Remove 2 t25 screws at each end of the diffuser using the access you just created.

Remove the 2 t20 plastic screws and rectangular clips in the middle of the diffuser span. And 1 t20- plastic screw at each end with the same clips

Work from one end to the other releasing the clips. Once you have a few out one hand stays on the diffuser pulling gently outward while the other releases the next clip all the way down the line.

In putting the new one on, work from one side to the other and don't rush. Make sure the clips are in the right place before locking in. Also ensure the part where the 2 middle rectangular clips are is below the mounts not sitting on top.

Last edited:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Does anyone know which of the extra parts you can get for the TCR spoiler seal those 2 open triangles on each side?

1601990103377.png

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
It's the retainers - I bought the full kit from ECS.

The diffuser trim is worthless on the regular GTI as we don't have the spot in the bumper to receive that trim. (it has posts to go into the TCR bumper)

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
omg, thank you bro... i was about to buy the trim thinking that was the piece i needed. you saved me a lot of money. ill buy the retainers instead.

falconcrest32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
omg, thank you bro... i was about to buy the trim thinking that was the piece i needed. you saved me a lot of money. ill buy the retainers instead.
I think you're trying to find these parts:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...s/tcr-rear-side-splitter-left/5g6807509d~oee/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine.../tcr-rear-side-splitter-right/5g6807510d~oee/

Took me a while to figure out what those parts were when I installed my TCR rear diffuser. It bothered me so much looking at the diffuser and seeing an empty 'triangle' on each side by the rear tires

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I think you're trying to find these parts:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...s/tcr-rear-side-splitter-left/5g6807509d~oee/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine.../tcr-rear-side-splitter-right/5g6807510d~oee/

Took me a while to figure out what those parts were when I installed my TCR rear diffuser. It bothered me so much looking at the diffuser and seeing an empty 'triangle' on each side by the rear tires
Ya thanks, I ordered them yesterday. The empty triangle sucks

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
They also hold the valence on, no way to install the 4 edge screws without them

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
yes those are the 3 parts i bought. keep in mind, if you have splash guards or mud flaps, they wont fit with this TCR valance unless you trim the splash guards

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
yes those are the 3 parts i bought. keep in mind, if you have splash guards or mud flaps, they wont fit with this TCR valance unless you trim the splash guards
I appreciate it! Yeah I have the OEM splash guards but I wouldn't mind removing them to have that installed. Got any pics of yours?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Yes those 3 are the correct parts you will need. It's a great mod that definetly enhanced the look of the rear on my car.