GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7.5 Golf R - 5mo old OEM battery dead after sitting idle for only 1.5 weeks?

Ezl

Car(s)
‘19 Golf R MK7.5
Hi folks,

Is it normal for a (fully charged, 5 month old) Golf R battery to be dead (ie I can’t even unlock the doors with the key fob) after sitting idle for 1.5 weeks?

The dealer claims my battery/car passes all of their factory diagnostics, and that I simply don’t drive the car enough. Supposedly the R has so many systems which draw on the battery even while the car is “off”. They don’t believe there is abnormal parasitic draw. The only solution they offered was for me to hook it up to a charger in between uses.

Background: The dealer replaced my original car battery 5 months ago because it was toast (die to COVID/SIP, minimal usage, etc). With the new battery, I started driving it on a fairly regular, albeit low mileage, basis, and the new battery started acting up (ie low voltage warning on dash, faults with blind spot/rear cross traffic alerts, etc). I brought it back to the dealer and that’s when they gave the the info above.

Now, a month after my last dealer visit - after a full battery charge (using the charger) and driving the car on the highway for 30+ min, it has sit idle for a week and a half. Now I can’t even use the key fob to open the door…

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Seems like a simple solution. Either drive the car more often or hook up a trickle battery charger when you'll be leaving it parked for an extended period of time.

Is it normal for a battery to drain like that? I mean, is it normal for a car not to be driven for 10 days?

Drive it, or charge it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I agree. Why wouldn't they have some sort of "sleep mode" if the car is isn't used after 72 hours or so to help save the battery?
The only thing I can think of that would be using any battery would be searching for the key fob but that must be very low power usage.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I have had the car idle for 3-4 weeks and never had an issue with starting. 18 Golf R. Unless the 19's changed drastically from the 18's I would say it is just an easy excuse to not dig further by the dealer. Either that or VW has really cheapened on batteries. I mean you had it replaced at 5 months? These things sit at import docks for months sometimes and don't have an issue. Either something is drawing or you could go get a high quality aftermarket battery and see if that one does too.

Madrv1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Had same issue until I get a battery maintainer/charger. Only took one charge to fix it.

Millsn

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7R
I had a similar issue at 1.5 weeks. My battery was found defective (on year 3 of ownership) but only on giving dealer the car for two days. Out of interest have you disabled start stop?

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
It should be able to last longer then that for sure. What’re you supposed to do if you take a standard two-week vacation and leave your car at the airport for example?

My 2020 GTI has gone longer than that in between driving periods.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Tiny. Does the job nicely.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It should be able to last longer then that for sure. What’re you supposed to do if you take a standard two-week vacation and leave your car at the airport for example?

My 2020 GTI has gone longer than that in between driving periods.
Especially in the northeast in the winter and the southwest in the summer.