GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfire after Unitronic Stage 2 IS20

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
From dabbling in OS tuning and helping to create my own file, I can say with certainty that 90% of 09G misfire/EPC issues on shift are the tune itself. Most tuners do not have an auto test car, majority is DSG or manual if they have a 1.8T test car at all.

I'm pushing more boost and more timing than I was on my OTS tune when I had the issue no problem. The 09G is quirky and has a lot of limiters hard coded into the ECU file that are sent from the TCU. Since we can't tune the tcu on mk7 09Gs, you have to make up for it in the ECU tune.

I'd be surprised if any tuner has OTS 09G calibrated tunes. Some of them work, but when they start just copying the MT/DSG or even 2.0 calibrations over you're going to have a bad time.

RHaas

Car(s)
2015 Golf Wagan
Just got off the phone with APR tuning. They want to see data logs of fuel and boost pressure with misfires. He didn't say outright, but he hinted they might have others files that are not normally provided.

RHaas

Car(s)
2015 Golf Wagan
VCDS log attached

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20221007_125108.jpg
    Resized_Resized_20221007_125108.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 46

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
gosh... reading all of these forum posts about OTS IS20 tunes makes me want to just set and forget JB4....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It would make me want to use OpenSource where I could tune it myself, not deal with OTS bullshit.

A little more than just OS there....big turbo + fuelling.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think you missed the point. The point is you don't have to deal with anyone else's junk. It's all yours. You can run a simple IS20 swap to a full BT with MPI and everything in between.
Don't disagree - for those that want to put in the time/learn for sure.

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
It's more of "where do you start" with doing OS tuning though, especially first timers.
I'm more than mechanically/ software inclined, but have no idea where to get the 101

RHaas

Car(s)
2015 Golf Wagan
Update, 09G misfire/EPC issues. The past few months, I have been working back and forth with my tuner shop and APR. Many people told me to replace injectors and clean exhaust valves, which was completely wrong. The issue in my case was the trans shutting down and causing the EPC/ misfire/limp mode related codes to protect itself. I tested several beta files. The last one they put on my car seems to have greatly improved the high rpm shifting without getting any errors. I will be continuing to monitor, but seems to be resolved at the moment. Before the car would shut down at around 6100 rpm. With the latest file the car goes to 6700 rpm and shifts without hiccup. If you are running APR IS20 Tune with 09G trans and having similar issues, I would recommend asking them for the beta file they put me on.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
It's more of "where do you start" with doing OS tuning though, especially first timers.
I'm more than mechanically/ software inclined, but have no idea where to get the 101
The discord has a How-To starting guide IIRC along with a ton of people like @Diggs24 who answer all sorts of asinine questions.

Last edited: