GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Milltek DP, Deutsche Auto Parts - Goat Rodeo

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
*BLOT* Carefully consider not only what type of downpipe you will purchase, but where/who will install it and the success record of those two combined. *Update 23 Apr, 2016 - I found a lift I could borrow and everything fits now. Skip down to see details.

*Long version*
I have waited about a month to share my experience to give everyone a fair chance to correct an issue. The setup is catted Milltek downpipe connected to a resonated valved Milltek exhaust. The car is a 15 R, stock turbo, stock springs etc.

I trusted a local shop (Deutsche Auto Parts) that I've known the owner of loosely for perhaps eight years and been a customer more recently since getting the R. He has a stellar reputation in the industry which is why I trusted him and his crew to do the DP install. In fact, they had just posted a how-to video on their youtube channel about a week prior (diff brand) so I figured it would be no problem.

After perhaps five hours I was told the car was ready. I drove about 15 miles and started hearing a mild grinding. I called the shop and the owner said to come back for sure. By the time I neared the shop, the grinding had turned to full-on metal-on-metal squealing. After lifting the car back up we could see the resonator had been rubbing the driveshaft/propshaft and both had taken damage.

The shop advised that there was no available adjustment remaining in the system and that there was nothing to be done. After reminding that the car was un-drivable and I was an hour from home they gave it another go even staying after closing time. What resulted was a several hour creative effort to get enough clearance for all critical parts when sitting still. Unfortunately the center pipe knocks agains the center brace amidships and the muffler clunks against the rear somewhere in bumpy turns. The DP secondary section hangs below the body line of the car making it a target for driveways and speedbumps which I have luckily avoided so far.

Given the cost of the system I expect better regardless of root cause. FWIW The system is a slip-fit style.

We sent photos to the retailer of the exhaust (USP) who forwarded to the importer (Griffin Moterwerke). Greg advised that after many installations of that system there were no similar problems and it was likely just a clocking of the secondary pipe causing the upward or downward angle further down the exhaust system which, of course, caused clearance issues. The counter-point from DAP was that they tried all possibilities and that the example photos given by Greg to help guide them were for a non-resonated system which obviously has more room.

After additional weeks of chasing answers, the options on the table are that Griffin will send a replacement DP secondary pipe or a non-resonated cat-back center section. I will be on the hook for additional installation labor for the stock DP or replacement secondary pipe but if it is a defective DP secondary pipe it should get things to line back up. DAP had stopped all communication with me directly and the last time I called was told that there was nothing more to be done. This is what they told Greg at Griffin when he engaged them on my behalf. *updated* The suggestions provided were assumed to require essentially free r&d from DAP's perspective and perhaps no further improvement in the fit.

Greg at Griffin and Sean USP Motorsport have been supportive and generally communicative given I am limited in choices of installation location complicating the troubleshooting process. I will be taking another day off and traveling about twice as far to another shop that was recommended by Greg to see if we can get the issue corrected once and for all or will void my exhaust warranty by having someone local chop and tig a new angle so it all lines up.

To end on a higher note, the DP doesn't leak, adds baritone to the previously sedate exhaust note and there is subjectively more power available sooner (ED1.5 tune). The high-flow cat has not triggered a CEL due either to the near-stock location or the tune itself.

Draw your own conclusions but do take care in your parts planning and hopefully you can avoid a situation like mine.

Last edited:

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
Goat rodeo is a nicer way of saying cluster fudge or just, in general, a mess. This could be a one in-a-million scenario but for the benefit of the community I am sharing my experience because I put a lot of time saving for this car and these parts and I figure you guys have too.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Did you check if the Milltek downpipe is the correct part number? I know for sure that the R and the GTI has different downpipes. The GTI's would interfere with the shaft of the R.

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
Thanks Geo. Yes, did confirm.

I don't think this post is fair to the noble pursuit of goat rodeo riders everywhere.

For shame, sir. For shame.

That said, sorry about the ordeal and hope your car ends up OK.

Sounds like you are in MD or near by, we need to get an R meetup together soon.

VWGTI

Ready to race!
Have you tried emailing Milltek themselves? I found that their customer service is beyond stellar and they'll help you out in any way.

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
So far Greg has been responsive and really accommodating so I haven't gone to Milltek direct. He's sending a new secondary pipe my way and I found a guy that is willing to let me use his lift for a few hours. We'll see if it is just an adjustment issue or the part itself pretty quickly once in the air hopefully. Either way, am hopeful we'll get it straightened :D out this weekend.

Then I can return to the pursuit of cat herding.

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
Obviously I'm no expert and don't have all the right tools but from my ignorant perspective it is just a combination of the primary catted section not being rotated forward a half inch more and the secondary DP piece (all 1 piece factory) not being clocked/oriented such that the rest of the system isn't forced up/down/side to side. If you've seen the double-bend you know how much an inch up front makes a difference at the rear suitcase. Speculation. Fingers crossed and good luck to all.

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
I don't see how DAP did anything wrong. Did you buy the DP form them? If you provided the downpipe to them and just had them install it it seems to me they went out of their way to make it work. Seems like you have a faulty part....

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
The car is off the lift (thank you local friend) and the full Milltek system fits perfectly without modification to anything. Sad to say, but this was just not installed properly the first time.
The biggest issue we found was that the secondary pipe (slip fit) was only 3/4 to 1" into a 3" deep flared/female section which is the exit of the down pipe catted section. This put the rest of the system geometry all wrong. There is plenty of clearance and there are no rattles now. Even the rear muffler angle and pipe exit fit to valance is perfect. Yes!

Thanks to Greg for sending a spare secondary pipe though we didn't need it.
We got the car hot and re-checked/torqued everything out of caution but we only got another 1/8th turn on the clamps so they didn't move much.

Moral of the story is sometimes even good guys/shops make mistakes.

http://imgur.com/a/sUYxT Album of damage, root cause, and properly fitted final product.

Last edited: