GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mid-range alternatives to Michelin PSS

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
That said: If someone does have the money for the PS4's or PSS, is there any real benefit to choosing those over the tires in this thread other than the street cred? Like, do these tires actually perform $300-$400 better than the less expensive options?

The only answer is that it's up to each individual to decide whether they feel the extra money is worth is. If you simply want the best high performance summer street tire and money is truly no object, Ps4s it is, IMO.

But for me personally, from extensively researching, looking at countless reviews and laptime comparisons etc, to my mind the good B segment tires perform about 90 percent of the Ps4s for just over 50 percent of the price... So I came to the conclusion that no, the price difference wasn't worth the incremental increase in performance to me....*on my mildly tuned GTI daily driver*

Now that said, if I had a weekend/track car that was even anywhere near as quick as my bike.... I'd stump up the extra for the Michelin. But of course if I had such a car, Iit would most likely mean I have loadsa money and a set of PS4S would be chump change ?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The only answer is that it's up to each individual to decide whether they feel the extra money is worth is. If you simply want the best high performance summer street tire and money is truly no object, Ps4s it is, IMO.

But for me personally, from extensively researching, looking at countless reviews and laptime comparisons etc, to my mind the good B segment tires perform about 90 percent of the Ps4s for just over 50 percent of the price... So I came to the conclusion that no, the price difference wasn't worth the incremental increase in performance to me....*on my mildly tuned GTI daily driver*

Now that said, if I had a weekend/track car that was even anywhere near as quick as my bike.... I'd stump up the extra for the Michelin. But of course if I had such a car, Iit would most likely mean I have loadsa money and a set of PS4S would be chump change ?
I'm with you on all points in your post. I don't track it, so 90% performance for 50% of the price sounds nice to me

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
No to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what the difference between the two PS4S options is?? I can’t work it out for the life of me, they seem identical but one is $20 a tire more.

A7E11D42-26AD-4EC5-8B75-AD281E4ABFA4.png

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
No idea. I have seen that before. The only thing I could think of was maybe an update or newer build date. Maybe someone with real knowledge will chime in

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
No idea. I have seen that before. The only thing I could think of was maybe an update or newer build date. Maybe someone with real knowledge will chime in

Yea. Weirdly the specs on the tires are slightly different. The more expensive tire shows as 1lb lighter but with a reduced tread width versus the cheaper tire (when looking at size 235/40/18). Maybe Michelin updated the tire slightly and one of the options is for a previous year? That’s the only thing I can find.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
No to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what the difference between the two PS4S options is?? I can’t work it out for the life of me, they seem identical but one is $20 a tire more.
Was trying to figure out the same thing. I think what Will said is correct, it may be the newest rev of that model tire and they have a listing for both the old and new

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Was trying to figure out the same thing. I think what Will said is correct, it may be the newest rev of that model tire and they have a listing for both the old and new

It may also be different load ratings.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion

View attachment 168573
I've seen this before, I believe it is because they come from different factories. FWIW, I only see the 236$ price now and 1 tire. before I did see both tho

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
That's weird. Usually when they're almost identical, one has a different load rating or is an OEM variant (N0 for Porsche, TO for Tesla, etc).

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Well I've been trying to squeeze out the last little bit of life out of my existing set of P4S's, but the rain these last few days have sent a pretty clear message that it's time for the current rubber to go. Friend with a Veloster N highly recommended the Champiro SX2's, and with everything that's going on I'm happy saving a decent chunk of money over going with the P4S again.

I'll be getting them in on the 31st, and will certainly update with impressions.