GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin PSS on AUSTIN?

Shooter McGavin

Passed Driver's Ed
Considering the Austen's are 7.5 inches wide, I would not go wider than oem

You will get a softer steering feel, worse response and more body roll. An important aspect of wheel / tire fitment is the sidewall support from the wheel. Never try to fit too big a tire on a given wheel.

A 225 ideally uses an 8 inch wheel anyway. I certainly wouldn't go to a 235 on a 7.5

BlueEye

Passed Driver's Ed
Considering the Austen's are 7.5 inches wide, I would not go wider than oem

You will get a softer steering feel, worse response and more body roll. An important aspect of wheel / tire fitment is the sidewall support from the wheel. Never try to fit too big a tire on a given wheel.

A 225 ideally uses an 8 inch wheel anyway. I certainly wouldn't go to a 235 on a 7.5

Thanx for the input McGavin

m3incorp

Ready to race!
The Michelin is a great tire and the grip can't be beat but just know that they can get to be little loud, the ride will be a little stiffer, and they don't like cold weather. I have them on the Vette and the M4. The VW will be getting Continental Extremecontact DW for the summer. If I didn't change wheels and tires for the winter, I would get the Continental Extrememecontact DWS06 for all season.

BlueEye

Passed Driver's Ed
The Michelin is a great tire and the grip can't be beat but just know that they can get to be little loud, the ride will be a little stiffer, and they don't like cold weather. I have them on the Vette and the M4. The VW will be getting Continental Extremecontact DW for the summer. If I didn't change wheels and tires for the winter, I would get the Continental Extrememecontact DWS06 for all season.

Whats the reason for getting Continental Extremecontact DW instead of PSS as summer tires?

//Thanx

SimonSaysGTI1

The Continental Extrmecontact DW are still a good summer tire and significantly less money than the Michelin PSS. I'm not sure if that's m3incorp reason, but it was mine for going with the DW.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Damn that's a great price.

I checked shipping costs and it'd be an additional $87, but still only $181 per tire.
Tirerack has shipping charges as well and come out to $200 per tire.

hockeydad2000

I'm so glad I live in Texas where your summer tires are just your tires. I have a set of Michelin PSS on my MINI Cooper S and they are without a doubt the best tires I've ever spent money on.

I am new to this board because I am about to trade it in on a 2016 GTI and will no doubt buy another set of PSS tires for this VW

Last edited:

Lobster

Ready to race!
I have Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my Austins, stock 225/40 size.

The A/S 3's are a little cheaper than the PSS, and in my opinion (and many others) it's not too far off from the performance of the PSS.

I'm not a fan of Continental DWS', but apparently the DWS06 is a much improved tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I have Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my Austins, stock 225/40 size.

The A/S 3's are a little cheaper than the PSS, and in my opinion (and many others) it's not too far off from the performance of the PSS.

I'm not a fan of Continental DWS', but apparently the DWS06 is a much improved tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it went from a great tire to a better tire? Anyways Conti DW quiet, great summer tire and great on wet roads.
PSS great summer tire one of the best, ok on wet, expensive.

m3incorp

Ready to race!
The reason is exactly that they are less expensive but yet a really good tire. In my case, I have two other sports/performance cars and don't feel like I (I'm not really the one that drives it often) don't need to drive the VW in a manner that would demand that I put the Michelin's on it. If OP feels that he drives in a manner where he needs the absolute ultimate grip, then the Michelin tires are the way to go.. For the Corvette guys, if we want to drive our cars in cold weather, guess what tires tend to be used. The Michelin A/S 3 and equally the Continental Extremecontact DWS06. Keep in mind that when I speak of the Michelin PSS, I am speaking of the same tire that is special made as the OE tire on the Corvette and also special made as the OE tire on the M4 both of which are a little different from the standard Michelin PSS.

The Continental Extrmecontact DW are still a good summer tire and significantly less money than the Michelin PSS. I'm not sure if that's m3incorp reason, but it was mine for going with the DW.

Last edited: